The Orientaldancer.net Dictionary

Amulya

Was there a word like 'shimmy wonder' or 'shimmy queen'? I can't remember what it exactly was but it meant someone who only shimmies because they can't do anything else or because they think that will wow the audience.

Munniko

I feel like there needs to be a word for students obsessed with looking at themselves in the mirror....not the good way of "oh checking my form" but the "OMG I'M SO HAWT" kind of way. I was in class and another girl wasn't paying attention and when she didn't know what was happening she said "I'm sorry I was looking at myself in the mirror and stopped paying attention, it is hard for me to concentrate in your class because I can't help but look at myself in the mirror."

Darshiva

I feel like there needs to be a word for students obsessed with looking at themselves in the mirror....not the good way of "oh checking my form" but the "OMG I'M SO HAWT" kind of way. I was in class and another girl wasn't paying attention and when she didn't know what was happening she said "I'm sorry I was looking at myself in the mirror and stopped paying attention, it is hard for me to concentrate in your class because I can't help but look at myself in the mirror."

"Then turn around and face the wall."

Let's just say I've had similar complaints about the mirror being a classroom distraction. Nobody wants to be singled out by turning around so they usually shut up & start concentrating, but I have had a couple of students who have found it a relief to turn around and compose themselves.

Last edited:

Amulya

Diamanté diarrhoea for a diamanté sparkle part. Coined by Roshanna

Last edited:

Roshanna

Diamanté diarrhoea for a diamanté sparkle part. Coined by Shoshanna

Roshanna :)
(I wouldn't want to miss out on taking the credit for this term, obviously!)

I think the other difference between a sparkle fart and diamanté diarrhoea is that a sparklefart looks more 'explosiony', whereas the diamanté diarrhoea is more of a drip or cascade and has dangly bits. And the one which made me think of the term also has a sort of ring bit that all the dangly bits are coming out of :shok:

Amulya

Franken costume for a costume that seems to be assembled out of parts from different costumes. By AndreaSTL

PracticalDancer

This one is making the rounds on facebook, but it deserves to be here. From now on, when my eye liner goes all wrong, it will be known as "going panda!"

Attachments

• 559677_10151568043835039_925636913_n.jpg
    559677_10151568043835039_925636913_n.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 74

Daimona

Leg lasso - A fancy jeweled garter belt to hold up non-existent stockings, usually worn in rather high splits from the belt on the skirt.
Source: Shems and Shanazel

Shems

I thought I add just a couple from my lil' circle of dance friends.

Duplitrouping - where a dancer participates in two dance troupes at the same time

Triplitrouping - is when they are in three troupes...we didn't really find cause to go beyond that number

Tits McGee - has a general usage meaning of a full-bosomed woman, but in the context of belly dance it is the dancer who uses said assets to secure dance gigs in a less than reputable manner.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Generic Belly Dancer names: Judy Jinglehips, Sarah Sparklebutt, and Suzy Shimmytush (From Bhuz). Don't forget Tourbeau's Bitsy McFlake which is self explanatory.