Post Thanks / Like

Roll  Eyes Different types of shimmies in tribal style??

Hey ladies,
    I dont know if you already had this thread and I am sorry if I am repeating. But I have heard that in tribal style bellydance dancers use many different kinds of shimmies and they distinguish between them quite strictly? Is it true? I only know the classic washing machine shimmy and a 3/4 shimmy. Are there any other types that tribal dancers use? If yes, could you briefly describe them? How are they done?
    Thanks a lot. ))

PS: Sorry for my poor English...

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help you but I just wanted to comment and say there was no flaw with your english!

Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahoj Larissa a vitaj na forume,

I am not a tribal dancer but there is definitely more than just two types of shimmies. Not sure how and to what extend they are distinguished, since every dancer can have a "proper" shimmy and one particular shimmy can be nuanced from one dancer to another (and of course this is true not only in tribal!), and I do hope that some of our fab tribal dancer can elaborate on this.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen all kinds of shimmies in tribal that I've even seen in the traditional forms of belly dance, washing machine, 3/4, vibration, glute shimmies etc All the styles in belly dance and related to belly dance have a strict distinction, I think your question runs into a bit little of a grey area so I can only give you one piece of advice.

Tribal seems to be more orientated around big, slow isolations and undulations and body pops rather than the tiny layered movements with shimmies of the traditional styles. I say, learn all of them because then if it comes to inerpreting the music with shimmies you wont get stuck anywhere, if you get what I mean? You can never have too much knowledge !

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming that by Tribal you mean a derivative style from ATS or ITS. I would not equate a style with lots of popping and locking to be Tribal.

An ATS (not ITS, but FatChance's American Tribal Style) shimmy is similar to the 3/4 shimmy but instead of a 1-2-3, 1-2-3, it's 1-2,1-2 with each hip "bouncing twice" on either side with each step you take. If you do it slow, it's two hip bumps. But when you do it fast for a shimmy, you let your hips "bounce" rather than hitting it. It looks a lot like the 3/4 shimmy which was what I was doing until my instructor told me that I was doing it wrong. The movement is quite large but still grounded and your upper body is still. There's also the Ghawazee Shimmy which is even larger and more leg driven.

For Tribal Fusion, more grounded and still shimmies such as shimmies driven by the glute and "freeze" shimmies tend to look bigger. Anything would work as long as you can layer over it. I wouldn't do a big Jillina-inspired juicy shimmy - it just wouldn't look right.

Sharon's Shimmy at 1:51 and 3:13