Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorite DVD for Home Practice

Hey,
    What are yalls favorite bd dvd to practice with at home and that helps you the best?

Post Thanks / Like

HiStarrbursts, Good question! For me it depends on what stage a dancer is currently at. For example, when I first started dancing The Video series by Neena and Veena were especially helpful. Later I began using the videos by Suzanna Del Vecchio, which she points out is geared for intermediate dancers. It still provides a workout for me. She is a stickler for posture and dancing within the moment. Also, I use Basic Technique by Nourhan Sharif. Later as my technique and understanding of the music/culture grew stronger I branched out into specialty videos i.e. swords, veils, cymbals,floorwork, wings, canes etc.

Currently I practice with videos/DVD's geared toward combinations and short choreographies. These type of DVD's DO NOT teach basic technique, but instead builds upon the foundation of Oriental Dance. I like "Dynamic combinations" featuring Ava Fleming, "Ultimate Combinations Vol. I & II, featuring several dancers and "Advanced A-Z Combinations" and "Astrobelly" by Keti Sharif. You will find as you grow as a dancer , your needs will change as you build your video library.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

I have Cathryn McCormick's Belly Dance Focus - Beginners & Egyptian Walk DVDs and I absolutely love them. I have picked up the technique for the Eqyptian Walk so easy now - still need to pick up my pace so I don't look like a robot but least i know how the right steps now.

And the other DVD is fantastic for practicing at home. You can by them online www.bellydancefocus.com.au
    Kathy

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any of those DVDs in America?>

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is Hadia's Ultimate Belly Dance system. I enjoy
    her other instructions videos too. Neena and Veena's series is
    excellent for practice.

I've been using a new flamenco dance instructions series currently
    and love it!

Good luck-there are alot of great options out there!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=zahra;10847]I've been using a new flamenco dance instructions series currently
    and love it! QUOTE]

Ooh -- tell me about this, please! I'm always on the lookout for more Spanish dance vids.

Post Thanks / Like

Hadia's older videos (which are now on DVD) were great practice tapes. I copied volumes 1, the first part of volume 2, and volume 3 all onto one tape and used to do that as my daily practice. (I actually like those vids better than her new 4-DVD set, but the new set DOES have that great warmup.)

For American Cabaret style drills, I like Ansuya's "Lavish Layers" -- just doing the individual movement drills WITHOUT the layers, at first. Most of the movements she either teaches on the DVD, or you will have probably seen V&N do. This is a DVD you can work with for a while -- IF you like AM Cab style. Do the drills, then put them together with the layered shimmies later.

(NOTE: Ansuya teaches shimmies as moving through your feet, so your heels sort of slightly bounce against the floor. This is different from the "Egyptian Shimmy." But of course, you can do either version with the drills.)

After much soul-searching (LOL) I've finally decided I like Keti Sharif's A-Z Combos (2 DVDs now). I don't think these are really all that fab for the beginning dancer, though, since there is no movement breakdown, and her vocabulary is a little different than our quasi-standard vocabulary here.

A dancer named Aradia has a new practice DVD out, as does Aziza. I haven't seen either, but I've heard good things about both.

If you like a free-form American style, Delilah's DVDs are hard to beat. They are truly PACKED with info. I took notes on her DVDs and had PAGES of notes. One volume is slow stuff, one volume is fast stuff, and the third volume is belly work and floor work -- I'm not as familiar with it. Her website is visionarydance.com

I'm goofy -- I don't have the attention span to work with one video, so I either make a list of things to practice or I make a Frankenvideo made of pieces and parts of sections of videos I like. You might find a similar thing will help you. Or I may just be weird. Or both!

Post Thanks / Like

mkay

Thanks everyone. i've been looking at Delilah' s WOrkshops to buy but didn't know exactly if I should or not. Now I think I will get her stuff when I save up some more money!

Post Thanks / Like

Whats the difference between American Style and Egyption style? Don't they use the same moves or is it different technique?

Post Thanks / Like

I am interested in learning Egyption style so in that case, what dvds would be best?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast