Favorite DVD for Home Practice

HiStarrbursts, Good question! For me it depends on what stage a dancer is currently at. For example, when I first started dancing The Video series by Neena and Veena were especially helpful. Later I began using the videos by Suzanna Del Vecchio, which she points out is geared for intermediate dancers. It still provides a workout for me. She is a stickler for posture and dancing within the moment. Also, I use Basic Technique by Nourhan Sharif. Later as my technique and understanding of the music/culture grew stronger I branched out into specialty videos i.e. swords, veils, cymbals,floorwork, wings, canes etc.

Currently I practice with videos/DVD's geared toward combinations and short choreographies. These type of DVD's DO NOT teach basic technique, but instead builds upon the foundation of Oriental Dance. I like "Dynamic combinations" featuring Ava Fleming, "Ultimate Combinations Vol. I & II, featuring several dancers and "Advanced A-Z Combinations" and "Astrobelly" by Keti Sharif. You will find as you grow as a dancer , your needs will change as you build your video library.
Yasmine

DancerAU

I have Cathryn McCormick's Belly Dance Focus - Beginners & Egyptian Walk DVDs and I absolutely love them. I have picked up the technique for the Eqyptian Walk so easy now - still need to pick up my pace so I don't look like a robot but least i know how the right steps now.

And the other DVD is fantastic for practicing at home. You can by them online www.bellydancefocus.com.au
Kathy

zahra

My favorite is Hadia's Ultimate Belly Dance system. I enjoy
her other instructions videos too. Neena and Veena's series is
excellent for practice.

I've been using a new flamenco dance instructions series currently
and love it! :)

Good luck-there are alot of great options out there!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Hadia's older videos (which are now on DVD) were great practice tapes. I copied volumes 1, the first part of volume 2, and volume 3 all onto one tape and used to do that as my daily practice. (I actually like those vids better than her new 4-DVD set, but the new set DOES have that great warmup.)

For American Cabaret style drills, I like Ansuya's "Lavish Layers" -- just doing the individual movement drills WITHOUT the layers, at first. Most of the movements she either teaches on the DVD, or you will have probably seen V&N do. This is a DVD you can work with for a while -- IF you like AM Cab style. Do the drills, then put them together with the layered shimmies later.

(NOTE: Ansuya teaches shimmies as moving through your feet, so your heels sort of slightly bounce against the floor. This is different from the "Egyptian Shimmy." But of course, you can do either version with the drills.)

After much soul-searching (LOL) I've finally decided I like Keti Sharif's A-Z Combos (2 DVDs now). I don't think these are really all that fab for the beginning dancer, though, since there is no movement breakdown, and her vocabulary is a little different than our quasi-standard vocabulary here.

A dancer named Aradia has a new practice DVD out, as does Aziza. I haven't seen either, but I've heard good things about both.

If you like a free-form American style, Delilah's DVDs are hard to beat. They are truly PACKED with info. I took notes on her DVDs and had PAGES of notes. One volume is slow stuff, one volume is fast stuff, and the third volume is belly work and floor work -- I'm not as familiar with it. Her website is visionarydance.com

I'm goofy -- I don't have the attention span to work with one video, so I either make a list of things to practice or I make a Frankenvideo made of pieces and parts of sections of videos I like. You might find a similar thing will help you. Or I may just be weird. Or both!

starrbursts

mkay

Thanks everyone. i've been looking at Delilah' s WOrkshops to buy but didn't know exactly if I should or not. Now I think I will get her stuff when I save up some more money!

starrbursts

Whats the difference between American Style and Egyption style? Don't they use the same moves or is it different technique?

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I think WAMEDA has her videos -- you might check them out first before you buy the DVDs.

Just to warn you, a lot of people don't like Delilah. It IS a very eclectic, free-form kind of style, sort of an interpretive Am Cab. Some of the movements she teaches are kind of weird -- but 90% of them are lovely.

She IS a demonstrator, however, and doesn't break down the movements. If you can learn by watching, these are good, but if you need more detail or a breakdown, you won't really find it on these videos. BUT, they do work nicely as practice sessions.

mkay

Thanks everyone. i've been looking at Delilah' s WOrkshops to buy but didn't know exactly if I should or not. Now I think I will get her stuff when I save up some more money!

Whats the difference between American Style and Egyption style? Don't they use the same moves or is it different technique?

Our very own Aisha has a great article on her website describing the differences between American and Egyptian style dance, you can find the article here:www.raqsazar.com. I think its great that you have alot of questions, good questions in fact. I specialize in American style which is considered a fusion of various Middle Eastern dance stylesi.e. Turkish, Lebanese and Egyptian. American style also uses props to help express the dance such as zills, veils, swords, Isis Wings etc. There are many sub genres to American style just as it is with Egyptian style. Egyptian style has a more improvisational feel that ties it directly to the music. Relaxed , but internal movements also characterize this style,and there is minimal reliance on the use of props. The dancer's body is the visual instrument.

As far as DVD's are concerned, I can direct you to Dahlal Internationale,www.dahlainternationale.com, which carries a large variety of video sources, categorized into specific styles. The videos/DVD's by Egyptian dancers are expensive though. When you begin your classes with your teacher, ask her what style she specializes in and maybe she/he can guide you along that path.

Warning:Jilina is great but does not teach true Egyptian Raks Sharki, there are too many jazz/ballet influences.
Yasmine

Amanda (was Aziyade)

For me, Egyptian (true Egyptian) really FEELS completely different on my body. The posture and dynamic tension in the body is different from Am Cab or Turkish, the movements really come from a different place, and you actively use more muscles in the internal abs (the ones that are sort of under your 6-pack.)

I love Shareen el Safy for explaining the difference and for teaching the Egyptian technique, but her videos may be difficult for a newbie to really grasp. She explains things very well, but I remember getting one of her vidoes when I was new, and it was like "WHOA!" This is TOTALLY over my hed.

The Raqia Hassan videos are straight-up modern Egyptian, but again she's not an explainer, so much as a demonstrator. If you can learn visually, you'll be okay.

Other of my favorites include the Dina workshops from Little Egypt, and the Mona el Said ICMED choreography demonstation video from Turquoise. That one's not necessarily a teaching video, but it's a great way to pick up the Egyptian essence. Oh and watch performance video of Fifi Abdo and Sohair Zaki -- my personal favorites. :)

zahra

I've been using a new flamenco dance instructions series currently
and love it! :) QUOTE]

Ooh -- tell me about this, please! I'm always on the lookout for more Spanish dance vids.

Hi Aziyde!

This is the series--------
http://www.esflamenco.com/scripts/list/enlist.asp?frmIdList=191

Its a nice introduction to Flamenco. The lessons are short, not like
a belly dance tape. I feel they are excellent for a start and the
dancer is excellent. I have the first series. I am planning to purchase
a few more from the second series.

They are available in the states at Flamenco Connection.

I love the es flamenco site-it's one of my favorites!

There are video clips here

http://www.fonotron.com/dvdflamenco/indexeng.htm

Vol 4 is my favorite :)

Last edited:

MirahAmmal

For a good "basics" video (if I'm remembering right from another post you're fairly new to the dance...is that correct?) I really like Nourhan Sharif's basic video. Nourhan teaches Egyptian style.

Suhad

I believe our very own Aisha has a DVD that is, or should be, out very shortly that is in Egyptian style. PM her or check her website for more info!

Ludmilla

Such great comments!! Thanks! Esp. Yasmine and Ayizade!! Finding out as much as possible before buying helps a lot! Yasmine -- the day you recommended the Nourhan Sharif Cane DVD, I ordered it and it is SOOOO great!! Thanks so much for really explaining about it -- don't have a choreo yet (still practising the technique -- I'm sort of a slow learner - let it sink in before I take off on an improv, etc) but it has opened up such a great new (for me) approach, as part of a repertoire, as you were saying... And Nourhan Sharif is really a great teacher - it is my favorite DVD that I have. Her spirit and joy as well as the technique come through and I appreciate this greatly. (while I'm on the subject -- is her basic DVD as good? (lots of moves, indiv. steps, also combos and small perf to see, too?) I realize content is more basic, etc but a basic really good technique vid for at home drills helps, just to vary with those that I've watched "a million" times -- )

starrburst -- I am posting a Suzanna Del Vecchio DVD for sale/discounted, fully new condition, in the Dance Connection - Market Place section of the forum, so if that appeals to you, maybe you'd like to consider a new DVD that others in the forum recommend, as well (and I think, good price).

Regards -- Ludmilla --

Hi Ludmilla, I was wondering if you were able to get the cane DVD! I'm so glad you like it, just take your time and let the movements become second nature for your body. This way you can develop confidence in your own style instead of just copying someone else. Nourhan has very good Basic Intro DVD/video as well. She explains the isolations in context of Egyptian style(straight legs, no plie, abs pulled in to bring the pelvis in a neutral position etc) and within the teaching style of her husband Yousry Sharif. The "Sharif " technique as I call it has strong foundation in basic movement. Try it I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Starrbursts, many of the videos we have mentioned are available in the USA, just click on the websites listed in each post. Have you tried Neena and Veena's "Beyond Basic Dance" and "Mystic Dance"? They are the second and third video in their series. the Twins, explore other basic moves and traveling steps. Suzanna Del Vecchio is known for great practice videos, but even she describes it is not geared toward beginners. She states in the opening credits, that the dancer should have a firm foundation in the basic vocabulary. Have you started your dance class yet?
Yasmine

Ludmilla

Yasmine - I'll check out the other Nourhan Sharif DVD, too -- I'm glad I listened to your comments on this (the Raks Assaya DVD) -
In case you've seen it, what do you think about the 2 DVD set of Saida and Mario Kirlis? (rather difficult to get - ...it is on Ebay but off and on...) Anyway, thought I might ask you if it's really great, or perhaps not as I think? Have heard good things and I really love the clips of Saida I've seen (on Youtube, etc) -- If you have any comments or have seen their Instructional DVD, I'd really like to ask your opinion -- (I know it's in Espanol w/ subtitles and that's all okay - I'm just wondering as far as the quality and content.........) (Example - even if the instruction part were not the best- I'd get it for performance alone, assuming it has performance, as her style is just phenomenal, I think -- If it's all some say, I'll keep working on getting it...You seem really knowledgeable so thought I might ask you about it -- Thanks again, Yasmine -- Or anyone else, too... Thanks very much for help! Ludy --

Hi Ludmilla, I love Saida's style too. She is so fluid,graceful as she dances Very soulful performer.Alas:( I haven't seen any of her videos and I know they are hard to get. I think she is a student of Amir Thaleb and is considered an excellent teacher. If you see the DVD set on ebay let me know.
Yasmine