Yoga from my Rachel Brice workshop yesterday.

Scarletminx

So I took a 4 hour workshop with Rachel Brice in DC yesterday, and it was really fantastic.

Since my experience with yoga is quite limited, I was pleased that she started us out with about 30 minutes of Vinyasa yoga for the warmup and ended up with 20 minutes of it for the cool-down.

I'd never done Vinyasa before (it's a type of yoga that connects the breathing with the movement) but I REALLY loved it. It truly opened my body up and oxygenated my muscles in a way that I've never experienced before. I definitely felt a great impact on my dancing after the warmup, in a good way.

Unfortunately, it was a large class and of course, everyone had lots of questions for Rachel, so I didn't really get a chance to ask her for suggestions of sources (aside from classes... I'm financially a wee bit tapped after paying for dance classes and the workshop) with which I can start incorporating Vinyasa as part of my routine.

Is anyone aware of any good Vinyasa DVDs, for example?
Much appreciated!:dance:

Sita

I can't help in the DVD section but I just wanted to say this: make sure you get just Vinyasa, because other yoga forms make use of this technique but are different like Ashtanga which is sometimes referred to as Ashtanga Vinyasa it's different though.

I find Rachel Brice's instructionals quite good for yoga anyway, although I imagine you have them already.

Sita

BellyBetty

ScarletMinx.....if strapped on cash, try & see if your public library has any concentrated DVD series of yoga if not, I went googling for vinyasa DVD's according to star ratings on Amazon.com and the link below should give you a few titles that concentrate on vinyasa and not ashtanga vinyasa

Amazon.com: vinyasa yoga dvds

Good Luck:)

Last edited:

fluidhips

it was a while ago when I took my workshop with rachel.but I remember she suggested Rodney Yee for the yoga

good luck:dance:

Eve

all depends on how advanced and how slow or fast you want to work through your vinyasa.

If you're confident in your technique and like a dancey feel to your yoga, shiva rea is very good. I also like the ana brett/ravi singh Kundalini dvds. Lots of breath work & probably not what you're expecting from a yoga class.

BDmarianne

I agree with BellyBetty. When I was learning about Vinyasa I had my local library order some instructional DVDs for me. If your own library doesn't carry them, it's pretty easy to get them to order some.