Post Thanks / Like

Idea Yoga from my Rachel Brice workshop yesterday.

So I took a 4 hour workshop with Rachel Brice in DC yesterday, and it was really fantastic.

Since my experience with yoga is quite limited, I was pleased that she started us out with about 30 minutes of Vinyasa yoga for the warmup and ended up with 20 minutes of it for the cool-down.

I'd never done Vinyasa before (it's a type of yoga that connects the breathing with the movement) but I REALLY loved it. It truly opened my body up and oxygenated my muscles in a way that I've never experienced before. I definitely felt a great impact on my dancing after the warmup, in a good way.

Unfortunately, it was a large class and of course, everyone had lots of questions for Rachel, so I didn't really get a chance to ask her for suggestions of sources (aside from classes... I'm financially a wee bit tapped after paying for dance classes and the workshop) with which I can start incorporating Vinyasa as part of my routine.

Is anyone aware of any good Vinyasa DVDs, for example?
    Much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help in the DVD section but I just wanted to say this: make sure you get just Vinyasa, because other yoga forms make use of this technique but are different like Ashtanga which is sometimes referred to as Ashtanga Vinyasa it's different though.

I find Rachel Brice's instructionals quite good for yoga anyway, although I imagine you have them already.

Sita

Post Thanks / Like

ScarletMinx.....if strapped on cash, try & see if your public library has any concentrated DVD series of yoga if not, I went googling for vinyasa DVD's according to star ratings on Amazon.com and the link below should give you a few titles that concentrate on vinyasa and not ashtanga vinyasa

Amazon.com: vinyasa yoga dvds

Good Luck
    Last edited by BellyBetty; 09-23-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

it was a while ago when I took my workshop with rachel.but I remember she suggested Rodney Yee for the yoga

good luck

Post Thanks / Like

all depends on how advanced and how slow or fast you want to work through your vinyasa.

If you're confident in your technique and like a dancey feel to your yoga, shiva rea is very good. I also like the ana brett/ravi singh Kundalini dvds. Lots of breath work & probably not what you're expecting from a yoga class.

Post Thanks / Like

Rachel has a fantastic resource list that includes her yoga recommendations. The form she studies is actually Viniyoga, but I'm afraid I don't know enough to tell the difference from Viniyasa.

Amazon.com: Resources for Practice and Creativity
    Last edited by staranise; 10-14-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling error

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with BellyBetty. When I was learning about Vinyasa I had my local library order some instructional DVDs for me. If your own library doesn't carry them, it's pretty easy to get them to order some.