Banned
    I live in central England, (United Kingdom).
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi to all those who feel the beauty & sensuality of BD

Hi
    Im of mixed decent, mainly European, with talk in my family of the possibility of some Middle Eastern blood way back in my family tree, but mainly English (along with Spanish & Belgian).
    Anyhow, i've always been literally hypnotised during watching movies depicting Belly Dancing, in its various forms.
    I find it the most entrancing, sensual, beautiful, feminine, graceful dance, which encompasses more than a choreography of moves ~ there's such a deep 'feeling' which i sense travelling along with the dance, out of the performer, when i watch it performed by those more able than myself. Many times i feel close to tears, through a smile and look of awe, all at the same time! (Did that make any sense at all?!).
    I just feel so drawn to BD, and with all my heart i would love to be able to perform a technically strong, full choreographed BD..
    At present, i'm learning single moves, or moves that are broken down, great generally, but as soon as the teacher sandwiches a group of these moves together, also speeding the moves up to the music.... i just go to pieces and literally forget everything iv learnt, whilst panicking and the 'great isolation' i learnt when the teacher taught us the broken-down move just minutes earlier just disappears in my head...... arghh...... is this normal at my early beginners stage? Is choreographed sets of moves difficult for someone else to master, when theyr'e generally pretty good at broken-down moves and slowed down moves etc....?
    Love, Marie x

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, you described your feelings about bellydance quite deliciously, and those feelings are completely understood by me and I would say every member of the forum.

As for learning to string moves together as you described, don't be too hard on yourself, I think that is something many new dancers & even some who have been dancing for quite sometime have problems with. It is kind of like being at school, learning a completely new subject, you are teaching your brain & body a new set of rules. Like any new subject it can take time, some people get it quickly, some take longer. With practice it will begin to gel. You will begin to notice that your body is responding to the tasks, your memory has expanded and your muscles are beginning to do what you want them too because muscle memory has kicked in. It will happen, it all just seems daunting at first.

Just this last week, I wanted extra practice with a segment I am too perform soon, and there was a new beginners class practising their first performance piece. I stood in the back ground just watching, and had a little inner chuckle they were so cute, concentrating so hard on every single step and movement and more than half were visibly counting the steps etc in time to the music, every now & then someone would hesitate or start to turn or something in the wrong direction but quickly correct themselves, my thoughts were that was me a few years ago, and that I want to see these young girls dance again in a couple of years, I bet they will be wonderful. I spoke to one young lass afterwards and she was so proud of herself, she said that at the beginning of the year, she had no idea what she (or her body was doing), the feet, body and arms just did not do what they should be doing and she felt like an out of control windmill and now she can do a whole 4 minute dance and with a veil. They may not be perfect, but they sure are doing well. You'll get there
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Marie!

I haven't got much else to add over what Mosaic said. What you describe is totally normal IMO - for me just the basic moves felt so strange to start with, and such hard work. But with practise your body gets the hang of things and it frees up your brain (slightly) to think about the next challenge.

Happy dancing

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    Welcome to the forum, you described your feelings about bellydance quite deliciously, and those feelings are completely understood by me and I would say every member of the forum.

As for learning to string moves together as you described, don't be too hard on yourself, I think that is something many new dancers & even some who have been dancing for quite sometime have problems with. It is kind of like being at school, learning a completely new subject, you are teaching your brain & body a new set of rules. Like any new subject it can take time, some people get it quickly, some take longer. With practice it will begin to gel. You will begin to notice that your body is responding to the tasks, your memory has expanded and your muscles are beginning to do what you want them too because muscle memory has kicked in. It will happen, it all just seems daunting at first.

Just this last week, I wanted extra practice with a segment I am too perform soon, and there was a new beginners class practising their first performance piece. I stood in the back ground just watching, and had a little inner chuckle they were so cute, concentrating so hard on every single step and movement and more than half were visibly counting the steps etc in time to the music, every now & then someone would hesitate or start to turn or something in the wrong direction but quickly correct themselves, my thoughts were that was me a few years ago, and that I want to see these young girls dance again in a couple of years, I bet they will be wonderful. I spoke to one young lass afterwards and she was so proud of herself, she said that at the beginning of the year, she had no idea what she (or her body was doing), the feet, body and arms just did not do what they should be doing and she felt like an out of control windmill and now she can do a whole 4 minute dance and with a veil. They may not be perfect, but they sure are doing well. You'll get there
    ~Mosaic
    Thankyou Mosaic for such a warm welcome and encouragement ~ and to be understood feels wondeful! ... Im so glad i found you guys!... and thankyou to Aniseteph also.. *big hugs all round!* xxxx

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, you sound like a very interesting dancer! Thanks for joining us.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BDmarianne View Post
    Awesome, you sound like a very interesting dancer! Thanks for joining us.
    THanks BD ~ its so great to be responded to in a positive and friendly way.
    I'm very pleased to meet you, and hope to chat with you more soon re my newly found *love* of Belly Dancing, and your feelings also. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome!

I have only been dancing just over a year and I feel the same way sometimes but don't let it dishearten you. The dancers that you watch and admire are likely to have been dancing for many years. As other posters have said, some people pick things up quicker than others but everybody has to start somewhere. Having the love for the dance and the music is very important to and you have expressed that you feel very strongly about it so let that be your guide.

It is hard to be patient sometimes and it is frustrating when you can't do a particular step or combination but I find those feelings make me tense up and then I can't dance very well at all. Try to relax and understand that your dancing will develop in time.

I know very little but in the short time I have been dancing I have learnt that pratice is really important. In some classes you wont have time to spend a lot of time on something so try to remember what you are taught and pratice at home.

Also, it can be difficult trying to understand music and dance that comes from an area of the world whose culture is very different to your own (which is certainly the case for an English person like me) but if you try to understand it better by learning about things like the history of the dance and the lyrics of the songs you dance to I also think that can be reflected in your dancing.

sorry to write such a long reply, just wanted you to realise you certainly aren't alone in your feelings!

x