Teachers/Classes in Derby?

Hi there ladies (and gents?!?)......

I live in DERBY (near the city centre) and i'm currently attending a Beginners Egyptian Dance class at 'Deda', which i have totally fallen in love with ~ its an amazing class/teacher mixed with my adoration of Belly Dance, BUT due to the thurs beginners class being so small (i love the small class, usually only 3 or 4 students each class), Deda have said they cant re-open the beginners class after this October's Half-Term if there isnt any more interest asap..) ~ crazy when the intermediates class is packed (and far too hard for me yet).

Anyway, so im desperately searching for another Belly Dancing Class/Teacher in the Derby area for late October (09 lol) onwards ~ can anyone recommend any class for Derby pleeeeease, otherwise i may well be inconsolable to be parted from my new passionate love (BD, not the teacher!).

Thanks so much.... xxx

Also in Derby

I am in Diana'a classes - would definitely recommend, she's a very good teacher and she has various venues in Derby at which she teaches. Her website has all the details.

Thankyou all so much ~ I've messaged Dianna and i'm starting her beginners class as soon as Deda finishes for good at Oct ha;f-term (when is that?!.. cant be long now!).....
Dianna did offer that i could go along to the level 1 class but seeing as iv only had 6 or so 1 hr lessons (in class of 4-ish), i really go to pieces when i have to put moves together and actually dance lol! ~ so i really want to get each move technically as perfect as i can before i have to multi-task by remembering choreographies too! ... (im a whimp! lol)

Anyway.... so, im soooo excited! ~ will i see any of you ladies at the beginners class in late Oct/early Nov on thurs eve? xxxxxxx

Bugsie, what class of Diana's do you go to?
What's she like?....
....does she teach in the manner of really breaking each move down and getting them technically correct before overloading the student with too much choreography to learn?... IM sure she wont ... but i had an awful experience at Deda at MTV moves where the teacher barely 'taught' anything regards moves verbally ~ she just danced and expected brand new beginners just to follow her like a mirror w/o any help at all, actually shooting me an irritated glare every time i stumbled or moved the wrong way ~ never ever said hello when i joined her new class after i unbeknowingly had been sitting opposite her waiting for the gym for 10 minutes!.. ugh!! ... I could learn more recording MTV on the actual tv myself and rewinding until i got the move right.... ugh... she nearly put me off dance forever!...
Thank the Lord for Belly Dance and Selise! ~ they're both wonderful to me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Eve

Thankyou all so much ~ I've messaged Dianna and i'm starting her beginners class as soon as Deda finishes for good at Oct ha;f-term (when is that?!.. cant be long now!).....
Dianna did offer that i could go along to the level 1 class but seeing as iv only had 6 or so 1 hr lessons (in class of 4-ish), i really go to pieces when i have to put moves together and actually dance lol! ~ so i really want to get each move technically as perfect as i can before i have to multi-task by remembering choreographies too! ... (im a whimp! lol)

Anyway.... so, im soooo excited! ~ will i see any of you ladies at the beginners class in late Oct/early Nov on thurs eve? xxxxxxx

that terrifies a lot of us!:D

Well done in finding a class & don't be afraid to push yourself in a higher level class from time to time you may just surprise yourself.

cantik

Hello everyone,
Hope you could help me out. I just moved to Derby a few weeks ago. I've been doing a belly dance for a few years now and was in a performing group (in a bellydance studio) in the US. I read the thread below about "Deda" and "Mehira". I would like to know if there is any other teacher you would recommend apart from this two ? I just would like to know my option in order to explore and decide which teacher would suit my needs better.
Thank you in advance for your kind assistance....

Hello everyone,
Hope you could help me out. I just moved to Derby a few weeks ago. I've been doing a belly dance for a few years now and was in a performing group (in a bellydance studio) in the US. I read the thread below about "Deda" and "Mehira". I would like to know if there is any other teacher you would recommend apart from this two ? I just would like to know my option in order to explore and decide which teacher would suit my needs better.
Thank you in advance for your kind assistance....

I would love to know this too, but after hours of websearching, for over a month, i have found nothing else in derby but Deda and Mehira.

If anyone knows of any other teachers in reach of Derby, id also be interested in getting an extra class in each week with another teacher (Mehira & Selise @ Deda run their classes on the same night :( :think:

Alternative

Try googling "Gaynor Fairweather" (I believe Pandora is her stage name).

I've never met/been taught by her, so I cannot recommend, but she's the only other one I found in Derby. I think she does a fair few classes tho.