Is it just me...?

Kharis

...or are the costuming and market place threads proliferating on here? It seems OD is gradually going the way of Bhuz insomuch that the discussions threads are getting swamped by costuming threads. Perhaps we can have a button that says.... New posts excluding costuming ones.... like they do on Bhuz.

Amulya

I have merged some costume threads because they were similar and there were getting too many threads. That's possible for the costume section, but I don't think it would work in market place.

jenc

...or are the costuming and market place threads proliferating on here? It seems OD is gradually going the way of Bhuz insomuch that the discussions threads are getting swamped by costuming threads. Perhaps we can have a button that says.... New posts excluding costuming ones.... like they do on Bhuz.

Yes but there is aLso less deep abnd lenghthy discussion than there used to be. There is more concensus which means less "discussion"

adiemus

Seriously, the diversity of this forum is what keeps me coming here - and the people who think deeply about what they talk about instead of discussing trivia.

...and I do love costuming too!!

Last edited:

lizaj

I don't think Market place comes anywhere near Bhuz's mammoth swap meet.
I've used swap meet ..thanks you buyers there ...and sellers also. It's a good place to shop to get good quality items and you can always click on the non-shopping drop down. Rosey has made sure you can avoid all those goodies.
Market place is "tucked away" and you don't have to look at it but people are always going to want to discuss costuming..sometimes the same point ad nauseum;)

Amulya

A bit off topic, but Bhuz has become so big and changed so much over the years I don't even understand how it works anymore! And there are so many new people I don't know.
Maybe the market place here can have sections on 'costumes' 'practise gear' etc. to make it a bit easier? But I don't think it's too bad in market place.

Kharis

[

...and I do love costuming too!!
][/url]

Me too. But I predict that this site will go the way of Bhuz and be swamped with Market Place postings. To the extent that we'll have to wade through the postings. Just give it time. It's already open to the abuse of parasite postings coming from spammers trying to point us all in the direction of their websites. It'll only get worse.

gisela

Super Moderator
Hi Kharis, I am not sure if you know the feature of double clicking on the letter icon to the left of each forum section, the one with two papers on and orange background. If you mouse over it, it says something like "click to mark forums read" When you double click it turns blue. Then those posts won't show up in "new posts" until someone posts in those forums again. It is not a big help but maybe a little....?

I see the market place here as pretty small and slow, but maybe that is just compared to Bhuz.

Last edited:

Kharis

Hi Kharis, I am not sure if you know the feature of double clicking on the letter icon to the left of each forum section, the one with two papers on and orange background. If you mouse over it, it says something like "click to mark forums read" When you double click it turns blue. Then those posts won't show up in "new posts" until someone posts in those forums again. It is not a big help but maybe a little....?

I see the market place here as pretty small and slow, but maybe that is just compared to Bhuz.

Hi, yes I did know about that little feature. And it does help. But I'm kind of impatient when it comes to forums and mostly just wanna get to the point of things without having to trawl too much. Otherwise I get bored and do a flip.

da Sage

I think it's just that people are not posting as much on dance issues and definitely not on cultural issues anymore. The costuming stuff hasn't grown all that much, it just looks like it's grown more in comparison.

I'd love to read up on cultural stuff, and especially hear from people who know more than I do (through personal experience). But I think people are not comfortable posting stuff like that here anymore...

Dev

I have received so many lovely little pm saying I am anti -Arabic. So no more cultural things for me, I wish my name was Salman Khan.

Last edited:

Amulya

I think it's just that people are not posting as much on dance issues and definitely not on cultural issues anymore. The costuming stuff hasn't grown all that much, it just looks like it's grown more in comparison.

I'd love to read up on cultural stuff, and especially hear from people who know more than I do (through personal experience). But I think people are not comfortable posting stuff like that here anymore...

Definitely, sometimes things have become such heated debates and I rather avoid that. I don't come here to be flamed or to make people upset, I come here to relax and talk about positive things :)

I'm sorry to hear that Dev

Kharis

I have received so many lovely little pm saying I am anti -Arabic. So no more cultural things for me, I wish my name was Salman Khan.

What's wrong with these people? I rather suspect there is an element on here that revels in doing this. They must have really dull, boring little lives. Then of course, there is the classic outward projection of internal intentions towards others.....hey ho:think:

Psychological projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dev

Throw all the attention toward me, :lol:, No but yes seriously after that tragic thread I started , my life is kind of different in this forum, Some people seem to have changed overnight from friend to foe. Some members sent me messages how I was so ignorant and anti Arab etc. I was anti-sensitive yes, but anti Arab no. Then some interesting members left and joined the other forum etc. I do take all the responsibilities for the bad time i must have caused but am still somewhat bemused by the reaction.

You know what I think I wish I did not post that bit above. :think:

lizaj

Throw all the attention toward me, :lol:, No but yes seriously after that tragic thread I started , my life is kind of different in this forum, Some people seem to have changed overnight from friend to foe. Some members sent me messages how I was so ignorant and anti Arab etc. I was anti-sensitive yes, but anti Arab no. Then some interesting members left and joined the other forum etc. I do take all the responsibilities for the bad time i must have caused but am still somewhat bemused by the reaction.

You know what I think I wish I did not post that bit above. :think:

if it hadn't been you, Dev somebody else would have provided the ammunition for people determined to think the worst and/or to distrup.
We all have agendas and we have to be aware that so do others and that is why often opinions need to be weighed and measured before being expressed. Oh and yes I am just as guilty of not picking through the nuances of what I type or how it might be misconstrued, however well meaning I may be...there are some nasty pieces of work out there in cyber-space. Shame they haven't got anything better to do.
I've had to take the passage from a child brought up in the post WW2 Britian that still saw its' self as Great...with an Empire. I found it very easy to shake off that legacy thanks mostly to the fact I was brought up in a multi-ethnic city and went to University there and was swamped with ideas of world justice and respect.It was also a journey from poverty to comparative comfort.
The fact that you take the responsibilty for kicking off an unpleasant episode means you are perfectly entitled to join in discussions ,surely.
And rest assured you are not responsible for the departure of all those members

Caroline_afifi

Dont worry about it Dev, it is all water under the bridge and part of life experience.

Some issues are sensitive and some people are sensitive. :D