Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turns

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly - I know what you mean Mouse. It's the keeping the concentration inwards that helps . The minute you let it wander to the room spinning round and you get dizzy. I think that's what makes Whirling so meditative.

Post Thanks / Like

Spotting has never worked for me either. What did work was spinning daily. I worked up the numbers of spins I could tolerated each day and then I started spinning in different ways incorporating arms and head spins. I also did this with different kinds of spins like three point turns, paddle turns, etc. It gets easier the more you do it, just takes practice like everything else.

I completely agree with the inward concentration. I start with my focus on my hand and then I bring the concentration in to my center gradually going to my elbow and then into my heart.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad you guys know what I was talking about!

Post Thanks / Like

build up to spins, you can walk through each turn with two steps, keeping your feet under your body, spotting. Just nice and slow, even walk through. As that gets tight and clean you can slowly increase your speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default getting easier

i see what you mean,i have been practising,and the m ore i think abouit it the harder it is,where as whenh i just spin as i feel it works just great,even when i feel a little dizzy after,i just carry on,though the sickly feeling is no more

thankx so much for your help,i bear it all in mind

amanda
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello!

I always spot when I spin, and I never get dizzy. It takes a lot of practice, as itís very easy to imitate the head motion without correctly using the eyes.

Madeline

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turns

I have trouble w/ the footwork (rather than the dizziness etc). Anyone have tips? FOr one thing I practice on carpet and maybe my feet get caught in it but I can't get around smoothly on a tight turn -- (I think I need to try this on a bare floor and see if it still is a problem) -- But my feet do seem to get a bit tangled in each other carpet, or not --

Also the arm work on a barrell turn (and feet as well) - Could anyone describe this for me? I don't think I have had it explained to where it comes smoothly to me in practicing. It looks so awesome when someone does a nice barrel turn -- 2 - 3 revolutions. (But I notice they turn really really fast, which must make it easier) -- Any comments and suggestions? Thanks!! Ludy

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Ludmilla!

I absolutely love to spin, especially barrel turns! One thing that helped me learn how to do them was to think of my arms always dipping down at a point facing the audience and going up at another point behind me. Once you get the tilting motion, you can pose your arms any way you like while you’re spinning!

If your feet get tangled, it might be better to go on the balls of your feet or wear dance shoes. (Practicing on a wooden floor is easier and a lot more fun!)

I hope this helps!

Madeline
    Last edited by Madeline; 08-04-2006 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Missing word!

Post Thanks / Like

Madeline, Ludy, anyone else - explain please, what exactly is a barrel turn?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Maariku!

A barrel turn, also called an airplane spin, is a spin done while spotting at the floor, which results in a tilting motion. The arms can be held straight out to the sides or bent, and they follow the tilt.

Iím pretty sure there are online video clips of Amani and Rindala doing them.

Madeline

P.S. You can also do them while spotting at eye level, but it doesnít quite look the same!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast