Turns

miss_shimmy

when i am doing turns whilst spotting,I am feeling sickly after only a few.
anyone else remember feeling like this in the beginning.?

thankx

smiles

amanda
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Inanna

I've got that problem! I can do a few turns, but after awhile I start to feel a bit light headed. And just my luck a fellow student and I choreographed a dance which has quite a few turns... I have actually fallen over during our practices because of the turns, lol. Ive found that going through the motions of spotting, only with my eyes closed (rather then focused on something), has helped me last longer without getting sick.

miss_shimmy

:)

I am so glad I am not alone,I felt so sick for a little while after dancing last night.
I will try closing my eyes whilst spotting,thankx for the tip.
I would like turns to be a stronger point,I guess we just keeop practising.

hugs and smiles

amanda
xxxxxxxxxxxx:)

Mouse

The first time I tried a spin I ended up hanging onto a chair feeling like I was going to be sick :eek: , but after a lot of practice it became easier & could even manage to keep a sword in place. I still get a little woozy if I spin for too long, but I mange to keep my head together enough to continue with the dance and after a few steps am ok again. Keep at it Amanda..it does get easier!

Recnadocir

When you get dizzy try making few turns the other way, this will help. Also jumping in place a few times can help.

Zahiraah

I believe we all got sick in the beginning :p . It is best to take a few turns every time and then gradually build it up. If you do for example three or four turns as it is now; continue with it until you're not feeling dizzy or sick any longer as you turn and then add one or two more turns. I use to stop turning when I feel that I loose control over my turns. Hope this will help.

slinks

Turning is something you get used to in the end, spotting is the best way to turn .... in my opinion closing the eyes just makes it worse....

Getting dizzy while spinning has something to do with the middle ear.... the more ear problems you have .... if your balance is out ... the more dizzy you will be.

I am 90% tone deaf.... with practice I was able to spin and turn but I'll never get away from the dizziness....

Aniseteph

Some teachers say spot and some say don't! :confused:
What we've been taught is to focus on your hand/arm out in front of you - it works fine while you spin as long as you don't let your concentration wander to the fact that the room is whirling round and round really fast....:eek:
You get a bit dizzy when you stop though.

Mouse

spotting doesn't really work for me. I find I get dizzier when I try. Mostly I try not to focus on anything at all including the spinning room & turn my attention inwards rather than outwards. That probably doesn't make much sense, but I'm not really sure how to describe it any better

Aniseteph

Exactly - I know what you mean Mouse. It's the keeping the concentration inwards that helps:cool: . The minute you let it wander to the room spinning round and you get dizzy. I think that's what makes Whirling so meditative.

Aaeesha

Spotting has never worked for me either. What did work was spinning daily. I worked up the numbers of spins I could tolerated each day and then I started spinning in different ways incorporating arms and head spins. I also did this with different kinds of spins like three point turns, paddle turns, etc. It gets easier the more you do it, just takes practice like everything else.

I completely agree with the inward concentration. I start with my focus on my hand and then I bring the concentration in to my center gradually going to my elbow and then into my heart.

Salome

Administrator
build up to spins, you can walk through each turn with two steps, keeping your feet under your body, spotting. Just nice and slow, even walk through. As that gets tight and clean you can slowly increase your speed.

miss_shimmy

getting easier

i see what you mean,i have been practising,and the m ore i think abouit it the harder it is,where as whenh i just spin as i feel it works just great,even when i feel a little dizzy after,i just carry on,though the sickly feeling is no more :)

thankx so much for your help,i bear it all in mind:)

amanda
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Madeline

Hello!

I always spot when I spin, and I never get dizzy. It takes a lot of practice, as it’s very easy to imitate the head motion without correctly using the eyes.

Madeline

Ludmilla

I have trouble w/ the footwork (rather than the dizziness etc). Anyone have tips? FOr one thing I practice on carpet and maybe my feet get caught in it but I can't get around smoothly on a tight turn -- (I think I need to try this on a bare floor and see if it still is a problem) -- But my feet do seem to get a bit tangled in each other carpet, or not --

Also the arm work on a barrell turn (and feet as well) - Could anyone describe this for me? I don't think I have had it explained to where it comes smoothly to me in practicing. It looks so awesome when someone does a nice barrel turn -- 2 - 3 revolutions. (But I notice they turn really really fast, which must make it easier) -- Any comments and suggestions? Thanks!! Ludy

Madeline

Hello Ludmilla!

I absolutely love to spin, especially barrel turns! One thing that helped me learn how to do them was to think of my arms always dipping down at a point facing the audience and going up at another point behind me. Once you get the tilting motion, you can pose your arms any way you like while you’re spinning!

If your feet get tangled, it might be better to go on the balls of your feet or wear dance shoes. (Practicing on a wooden floor is easier and a lot more fun!)

I hope this helps!

Madeline :)

Last edited:

Madeline

Hello Maariku!

A barrel turn, also called an airplane spin, is a spin done while spotting at the floor, which results in a tilting motion. The arms can be held straight out to the sides or bent, and they follow the tilt.

I’m pretty sure there are online video clips of Amani and Rindala doing them.

Madeline :)

P.S. You can also do them while spotting at eye level, but it doesn’t quite look the same!