Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    I live in central England, (United Kingdom).
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggestions please for Books/DVD's for between class?

I currently can only find 2 BD classes in my area, both held on the same night, around the same time, (typical!!) ~ so i can only get 1hr of formal teaching a week, which i feel is just not enough for me to progress in the art of belly dancing as quickly as id like.....

I would like to practice at home a lot more, but i have a brain like a seive and i just cant remember the full detail and proper technique of each move i want to learn, without guidance from step-by-step pictures in a book, or by following a Beginner's level Belly Dancing Teaching DVD.

I would like recommendations please for books/dvd's available in England, suitable for a beginner with 6hrs of classes under my belt.

I would like learning matter that really breaks down each move and doesnt run before i can (egyptian) walk! ..... I really want to get technique of each move described to me as fully as possible and concentrated on fully before moving onto the next move (if you know what i mean? ~ rather than just skipping through the 'basics' w/o teaching in *detail* how to *properly* perform the move .... even a DVD that spends 15 minutes on one move wouldnt bore me! ~ I want to get this RIGHT!

Style-wise i am learning a mixture of styles, mainly Egyptian (more modern than traditional, but facets of both) ~ but we also play with turkish and amcab moves in our choreography (the 1st i'm ever to learn!), so i would like my teaching books and dvds to reflect this and teach me Egyptian and Turkish (and/or possibly AmCab) styles (seperately presumiably)..... (although i'm not into tribal or gypsy styles, so please so tribal material thanks.)

Hope you have some good beginners dvds/books for sale! xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Search the forum for instructional DVDs thgere are a couple of threads that talk about these. Here is one thread.

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/inst...onal-dvds.html

Always remember to search the forum so that threads are not repeated over and over again
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Surely with what is available on the internet you don't have to restrict yourself to what is available in England.
    Check amazon.co.uk and eBay and Belly dance costume & belly dance supplies at Aladdin's Cave and check reviews on forum and shira.net

Banned
    I live in central England, (United Kingdom).
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    Surely with what is available on the internet you don't have to restrict yourself to what is available in England.
    Check amazon.co.uk and eBay and Belly dance costume & belly dance supplies at Aladdin's Cave and check reviews on forum and shira.net
    I was AM asking for reviews from ladies HERE ~ at the Belly Dancing Forum i took time and effort to join ~ ladies who i believed to have great knowledge of instructional material themselves ~ clearly i joined here for help, guidance and information FROM the members here, not from another review site!

Also, i dont know if you're aware, but DVDs have areas, so i have to restrict my DVDs to having the correct area-code to play in england.

Im very disappointed that i feel like im being fobbed-off quite a lot, whenever i ask a perfectly innocent question/comment. ~ I thought this forum would be a fountain of help, guidance & knowledge ~ but i've felt less than welcoming vibes from some, and feel my questions are just skipped over....... like this one!

Is it because im English? I feel like the new kid at school who gets left out alone at playtime! ~ I had hoped i would fit in here nicely due to my dearest, deepest new-found love of BD.
    Last edited by SweetPinkVanilla; 10-19-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm unsure I understand you properly when you say 'fobbed off'. The reason why other sites and threads are linked to and mentioned in people's replies is that this has been a common theme in many threads. This can lead to a situation in which people feel they have already discussed this issue and their thoughts on the topic and do not feel the desire to repeat themselves. This is why instead of just not replying to your post a couple of members have taken the time to seek out information for you. The first from other threads in this forum that you are still able to reply and resurrect should you have a desire to do so, and the second with sites that are very well respected in the bellydance globe such as Shira's.

In terms of being from England - I doubt this is a factor as although you maybe unaware of this one of the ladies who offered this info is also British, as am I.

A lot have people have mentioned Jenna's bellydance instruction series so perhaps that would be a good starting point My own recommendations I worry may not be what you are looking for. The style you do is difficult as you describe it as a bit of a blend... I would therefore advise you to also discuss specific recommendations with your instructor as they will know which DVD instructor and style best suits what she's teaching you. One reason I say this is because the Turkish and Egyptian dvd's I have are not what I would call 'compatible' due to the differences in the styles. For a new dancer I could see trying to do both a bit confusing perhaps, although I will say Artemis Mourat is one of the main instructors to look for in regards to Turkish bellydance.
    Also please remember that moves are called various different names so don't be surprised if DVD's differ from your own experience of moves.

Sita
    Last edited by Sita; 10-19-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there, as Mosaic said you will find a lot of info on beginner dvds if you do a search for instructional dvds as there are many threads. Don't worry about region codes as most companies like WDNY, Cheeky Girls, IAMED, Hollywood Music Centre, Bellydance Superstars etc all ship internationally and have region free dvds that play on all dvd players. I am a beginner too but have a huge collection already and I would recommend the following to get you started.

- Jenna's Basics and Beyond by WDNY
    - Sadie's Complete Bellydance Guide by Hollywood Music Centre
    - Belly by Sandra by Cheeky Girls
    - Paulina's Arabian Sands and Desert Dreams by IAMED

Post Thanks / Like

avoid Dolphina and her dvds at all costs.

she's terrible!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beginners DVD

If I may humbly recommend my own DVD... Amira's Belly dance 101.
    the reviews speak for itself I hope, its been Amazon best-seller for years now. please check it out, it might be what you are looking for.
    Amira - International Emissary of Dance

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPinkVanilla View Post
    I currently can only find 2 BD classes in my area, both held on the same night, around the same time, (typical!!) ~ so i can only get 1hr of formal teaching a week, which i feel is just not enough for me to progress in the art of belly dancing as quickly as id like.....

I would like to practice at home a lot more, but i have a brain like a seive and i just cant remember the full detail and proper technique of each move i want to learn, without guidance from step-by-step pictures in a book, or by following a Beginner's level Belly Dancing Teaching DVD.

I would like recommendations please for books/dvd's available in England, suitable for a beginner with 6hrs of classes under my belt.

I would like learning matter that really breaks down each move and doesnt run before i can (egyptian) walk! ..... I really want to get technique of each move described to me as fully as possible and concentrated on fully before moving onto the next move (if you know what i mean? ~ rather than just skipping through the 'basics' w/o teaching in *detail* how to *properly* perform the move .... even a DVD that spends 15 minutes on one move wouldnt bore me! ~ I want to get this RIGHT!

Style-wise i am learning a mixture of styles, mainly Egyptian (more modern than traditional, but facets of both) ~ but we also play with turkish and amcab moves in our choreography (the 1st i'm ever to learn!), so i would like my teaching books and dvds to reflect this and teach me Egyptian and Turkish (and/or possibly AmCab) styles (seperately presumiably)..... (although i'm not into tribal or gypsy styles, so please so tribal material thanks.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPinkVanilla View Post

Another thread to look in!

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/instructors-students/2590-what-instructional-dvds-videos-you-have.html

Go for Jenna's for break down of moves! Also get like drill DVD to have fun with the moves you learn!

Best of luck! ( And agree look into ordering from the US, you might get a better value for money! World Dance New York has some nice ones!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amira of Las Vegas View Post
    If I may humbly recommend my own DVD... Amira's Belly dance 101.
    the reviews speak for itself I hope, its been Amazon best-seller for years now. please check it out, it might be what you are looking for.
    Amira - International Emissary of Dance
    Hi and welcome! Hope to see you posting more!

HUGS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast