Check out this stick dance

Aisha Azar

Assaya

Dear Tarik,
Nice clip....too bad somebody had to go and put the word "belly" in the title.
His work was great!! I love street dancers of all kinds!
Regards,
A'isha

Sharif

According to most dictionaries, calling this "belly dance" is correct.

Merriam-Webster:
belly dance, n.: a usually solo dance emphasizing movements of the belly.

American Heritage:
belly dance, n.: A solo dance performed by a woman and characterized by sinuous hip and abdominal movements.

Wordnet:
belly dance, n.: a Middle Eastern dance in which the dancer makes sensuous movements of the hips and abdomen.

I am none too pleased with the "by a woman" in the second definition :mad:, and not too much with "sensuous" in the third, but the agreement seems to be that it's belly dance when belly and hip movements are emphasized.

In general, if you put on any vaguely oriental looking attire and make some hip movements people will be quick to call it "belly dance" - I think it's pointless to try to change their minds to limit the use of this term to a more specific dance form. The poster of this clip seems to be straight from Cairo and a friend of the dancer, and he calls it "belly dance"...

Safran

The clip is wonderful!

And on the phrase "belly dance"... I actually prefer to use it as little as possible. It just doesn't sound right to me... Maybe it is for the very same reason that Sharif noted - people just label anything as bellydance...

chryssanthi sahar

Hey Tarik.

Where do you find all of those great videos you put in here? You must be really youtube addicted.
This was a great stick dance:D It reminded me a lot of the Philippine martial art "escrima" (or is it Indonesian?). Anyway when watching this dance it gets very obvious, that stick dance has it's origin in the martial arts and martial dances. This guy on the video was really a virtuoso:eek:

Tarik Sultan

Hey Tarik.

Where do you find all of those great videos you put in here? You must be really youtube addicted.
This was a great stick dance:D It reminded me a lot of the Philippine martial art "escrima" (or is it Indonesian?). Anyway when watching this dance it gets very obvious, that stick dance has it's origin in the martial arts and martial dances. This guy on the video was really a virtuoso:eek:

Honestly, just dumb luck. I guess the Universe is picking up on my intention to share and educate people and sends my this stuff. I really wish I could take everyone to Egypt with me to see and experience the things I have. These clips are the closest I can get to doing that.

You're right on about these dances coming from martial arts. One of the most basic weapons all over the world are sticks, so no wonder we see similar things in so many places. Great stuff isn't it?