Make-up for the tropics

Nym

Hey ladies,

I live in a tropical country. I have extremely oily skin. For those of you who are familiar with hot weather, when doing a performance, what products do you use? Foundations on me turn to sludge in a few hours. Are there any colour free foundations out there? Can you recommend mascaras or eyeliners that you find last especially for a performance.

Any advice would be appreciated

Farasha Hanem

Hi, Nym, nice to see you again. Have you tried any of the mineral makeup products? I'm just starting to venture out into them. The first brand I tried was Maybelline, but it wasn't so great, so I then tried Physician's Formula, which I like better. However, my daughter swears by the L'Oreal brand of mineral makeup; I think it's called, "Bare Naturals." She loves it, and bought the foundation, concealer, translucent powder, the works, and says it's like not wearing makeup at all.

Makeda and Alosha are two forum members who have a passion for makeup. As a professional makeup artist, Makeda has tried a lot of fabulous brands, and can give some recommendations, and Alosha has started using natural, organic makeup. She's even found a mascara that is natural. Perhaps you ladies can help out Nym? Thank you. :)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I'll follow this thread with interest - my wife and I performed once outside in Florida - our makeup literally melted off our faces! :shok:

eden eyes

hmm well i perform in florida, outdoors everyonce in a while, but either way i sweat A LOT so it wouldn't matter if it were 30 degrees F! haha

one thing to remember, particularly if you sweat outside and with high humidity, clean your face with astrigent before applying makeup!! not sure if this works for everybody but it feels nice to start of with and i don't feel like my makeup is melting AS i put it on lol. dont rub in your eyes, it burns like a mofo.

for cream foundation, i use Maybelline Pure.makeup (in the mint colored squeeze tube thing) it's oil free. not too expensive either, and don't cake it on obviously, just a thin layer to smooth out the bumps.

for powder foundation/concealor i use Bare Minerals. it's pretty pricey but so worth it. i only use this for performing or for really special occasions so it lasts a while. it's a nice fine mineral powder that makes your face look natural.

for blush and/or bronzer, i use the stuff that came with the Bare Minerals kit. the bronzer not so much because it is so rich, so i use NYC Color Wheel which is relatively inexpensive and also offers blushes too. i love mousse blushes but not with bare minerals or when i know i will sweat like crazy.

mascara: Maybelline theColossal Volum Express Waterproof. adds lots of nice volume for lashes and is waterproof, VERY waterproof so have some eye makeup remover and cotton balls handy because if you go to sleep with this on you will look like a pothead in the morning (eyes will be beet red)

eyeliner: any waterproof brand is fine, for the lower lid, i like Maybelline Define-a-Line. then i use any liquid eye liner for the top lid and corners. but i prefer the ones that look like fine tip markers because they don't splatter and stuff.

eyeshadow: i don't know what brand but it is a mineral based one that i got from ebay. i heard mac is awesome though!

lipstick: eh just any color that looks good! any brand works for me.

hope this helped!!

Eden

Nym

Thanks for the suggestions. The only make up I find is very good in that it delivers is Revlon Colourstay Foundation. These days are so hot, that it is a bit frustratiing sometimes i.e that you're always sticky. I would swap the sun for snow any day.

I think that I will try the water proof mascara and eyeliner. Thanks for the welcome, and keep those suggestions coming. I'm going to try all...:dance:

TiaSerena

Hi there,

It doesn't seem to matter where I perform, I sweat like crazy. My friend says it's her body crying after so many hours of practice. Lol.

I live in Miami, FL... I have extremely oily skin and I have gone to Sephora and tried out many products. Here are the things that I have found that work for me.

First, you really have to invest in a really great eye primer and face primer. For the eyes, I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance. Seriously, the eye makeup doesn't go anywhere, and the colors are fresh and brighter. For the face, I have been using LORAC aquaPRIME Oil Free Makeup Primer and I really like it. You may need to touch up with powder or Mineral Veil after a very long set. And with both products less is more so they last a long time.

Next, I highly reccommend Bare Minerals for your foundation. It goes on really well when used over the face primer and for people with oily skin, it's great. I have noticed a lot of people are switching to it.

For eyeliner with staying power, I would go with Stila's Smudge Pot. I have fallen asleep with that stuff on (very bad I know) and I have woken up with it still in place! You will need to invest in a small flat brush to put it on. I use a cheap art brush I bought in the art store.

And I agree... seriously serious waterproof mascara!!!

Hope this helps.

Tia-Serena

Nym

Hey Tia-Serena,

Thanks for the advice. I am going to google those products today. I will most likely have to purchase them on line because they are not available here in Trini. Is mineral veil really that good? I see it on cable, but I have extremely dark skin and often have trouble finding shades to suit my complexion. Anyway, gotta go.......Thanks again :dance::dance:

TiaSerena

Hey Tia-Serena,

Thanks for the advice. I am going to google those products today. I will most likely have to purchase them on line because they are not available here in Trini. Is mineral veil really that good? I see it on cable, but I have extremely dark skin and often have trouble finding shades to suit my complexion. Anyway, gotta go.......Thanks again :dance::dance:

Hi Nym,

You're welcome :) Definitely google them. The mineral veil is a miracle for me. I can't live without it. I have very tan skin so I know the mineral veil goes on clear, but I believe they now sell Tinted Mineral Veil. Also, the actuall foundation for Bare Minerals comes in quite a few color choices now. I somtimes mix the two shades that I got in my starter to make the perfect color when I get a tan since I started swimming more often again.

My cousin uses the Loreal minerals version and she says she likes it, but she prefer Bare Minerals. But sometimes you gotta go with what you can get, she is in Jamaica.

Take care,

Tia

Makeda Maysa

Hey Tia-Serena,

Well, Step #1: PRIMER! It really helps to cut down on oil production and "hold" your makeup to your face!

The suggestion of using mineral foundation is a good one. Because it is a powder and is buffed into the skin, it doesn't lay on top like a cream or liquid foundation and won't melt off in the heat. I have tried bajillions of foundations and for day to day wear, I swear by mineral foundation. I am also an oily-skinned gal, so I understand the need to cut down on oiliness. I highly recommend it. I wear BareMinerals. I understand your hesitation at trying it because of your complexion, however, I am also a woman of color (as you can see by my avatar) and I have found a shade that works quite well for me. BareMinerals has greatly expanded their shade selection and it now includes shades for very deep complexions. If you are able to give it a try, I greatly recommend it.

As for other makeup, waterproof eyeliner and mascara are imperative. You can find these in a wide range of price points, from drugstore to high-end department store/boutique lines. For drugstore, I love Maybelline mascaras and for high-end, go for Dior. For cheeks, layer! Start with a gel formula, like Tarte Cheekstain (there are many other gel-based formulas, as well). Allow that to dry, then top with a coordinating powder. If the powder melts, the gel underneath will still be there and give you a great flush of color. Be sure to finish your facial makeup by adding a dusting of setting powder. I am in love with MAC's Prep + Prime Powder. Make Up For Ever makes a great one, too.

Lips, line with a long-lasting pencil and use one of the color stay lipsticks. Blot. Powder. Reapply. It'll create a stain that won't budge.

I hope these tips help!

GypsyStacey

as someone who only uses mineral makeup due to allergries i just want to point out that Maybelline, L'Oreal etc are not 100% mineral makeup. they do have some minerals in them, but have all the other stuff like talc & fillers which is really to bad that's the stuff i'm allergric to. i understand that won't matter to most ppl, but if you need a 100% mineral makeup then just a word to the wise. as far as pure mineral makeup i like micabella (expensive), bare minerals is good & more afforadable, but my fav right now is Pur. I've also found that there are great shops on Etsy that sell mineral makeup as well.

maria_harlequin

as someone who only uses mineral makeup due to allergries i just want to point out that Maybelline, L'Oreal etc are not 100% mineral makeup. they do have some minerals in them, but have all the other stuff like talc & fillers which is really to bad that's the stuff i'm allergric to. i understand that won't matter to most ppl, but if you need a 100% mineral makeup then just a word to the wise. as far as pure mineral makeup i like micabella (expensive), bare minerals is good & more afforadable, but my fav right now is Pur. I've also found that there are great shops on Etsy that sell mineral makeup as well.

Exactly...I have a friend that won't use mineral makeup anymore because she had a very nasty reaction to a high-end store brand mineral makeup...and she's not even willing to try the 100% ones because she's convinced that she's allergic to the mineral...sigh. Mineral makeup is a Godsend for me!

GypsyStacey

Exactly...I have a friend that won't use mineral makeup anymore because she had a very nasty reaction to a high-end store brand mineral makeup...and she's not even willing to try the 100% ones because she's convinced that she's allergic to the mineral...sigh. Mineral makeup is a Godsend for me!

Godsend to me as well! Hey thanks for posting that link for 'The All Natural Face' I'm going to order one of her sampler packs for foundation. What makes me mad is that there is no standard for a mineral make up. It doesn't have to be a certain % to be called mineral makeup. When I found Physicians Formula I thought hey this is great affordable, but even then one has to be careful. Only their organic stuff is without the talc & stuff.

Amulya

I'm in Australia and use Natio, works fine. I can go trough a whole day of make-up in the tropics without it getting yucky. I'm trying out mineral make-up as well: I bought eye-shadows and they are really good! They don't change at all, even with a bit of sweat.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Until the mineral makeup boom I only ever wore makeup for dancing or a very special night out and scrubbed it off ASAP. ordinary makeup makes my skin literally weep with sweat and itch, yick! Mineral makeup is wonderful, no sweat or itching at all.

~Mosaic

Daimona

are not 100% mineral makeup. they do have some minerals in them, but have all the other stuff like talc & fillers which is really to bad that's the stuff i'm allergric to.

Pssst... Talc is a mineral as well and are generally recognized as safe for use in cosmetics (just try to avoid inhaling the make-up while you apply it).

Common ingredients in mineral make-up are listed here: Mineral Makeup Ingredients | What's In Mineral Cosmetics?
or the ingredients of the various brands: Mineral Makeup Ingredients

Sorry for being OT.

Amulya

Until the mineral makeup boom I only ever wore makeup for dancing or a very special night out and scrubbed it off ASAP. ordinary makeup makes my skin literally weep with sweat and itch, yick! Mineral makeup is wonderful, no sweat or itching at all.

~Mosaic

Is it like theater make-up? I hate that stuff, too harsh and hard to get off your skin.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Is it like theater make-up? I hate that stuff, too harsh and hard to get off your skin.

No just ordinary foundations etc, just make my skin sweat from the moment I put it on, it really is like my whole face is weeping:lol: A mineral makeup ( Inika) lady talked me into trying the mineral stuff and I was amazed it felt great, looked great and no "weeping" - so into the rubbish went anything I had had previously and now only good mineral stuff is part of my makeup kit, I have Inika and Pure. I still only wear it for dancing or nights out, but at least I can wear it without feeling like my face is melting and turning into red welts with the itching:D
~Mosaic

Amulya

Weeping face doesn't sound good at all!
Some products are just not nice, I have had foundations that had some perfume in it and it would make my nose run. The mineral make-up seem to be the way to go. I have a powder for over the foundation now and it's different from powders I had before.

GypsyStacey

Pssst... Talc is a mineral as well and are generally recognized as safe for use in cosmetics (just try to avoid inhaling the make-up while you apply it).

Common ingredients in mineral make-up are listed here: Mineral Makeup Ingredients | What's In Mineral Cosmetics?
or the ingredients of the various brands: Mineral Makeup Ingredients

Sorry for being OT.

That's great for most people, but for those of us with either allergric skin or extra sensitive that's why I pointed out the 3 brands that I did they don't contain Talc. Other brands have Talc, but I can't wear makeup with Talc. I will end up with eczema on my eyelids. Not fun. Which is the reason I listed those 3 that don't for those that also are extra senistive skin.