Thread: What moves?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What moves?

My friend has a small TV show where she picks a new activity to try out each week and for next week, she wants to try out belly dancing. However, she's extremely stiff and can't isolate easily if at all. For a normal beginner's class, this would be fine and I can slowly help her out but I don't think it's going to work for a TV show...I'd also like to throw in an easy combination at the end. And this isn't a short segment where I'll be performing and then try to teach the host how to do a few moves...this is an actual "How to" show. I don't think I'm even going to be giving a performance.

I plan to talk a bit about what belly dance is at the beggining, its history, maybe show a few associated props, and then proceed with correct posture and stance. Any thoughts or ideas on how I should proceed? Maybe suggest a few moves? Any help will be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maria_harlequin View Post
    My friend has a small TV show where she picks a new activity to try out each week and for next week, she wants to try out belly dancing. However, she's extremely stiff and can't isolate easily if at all. For a normal beginner's class, this would be fine and I can slowly help her out but I don't think it's going to work for a TV show...I'd also like to throw in an easy combination at the end. And this isn't a short segment where I'll be performing and then try to teach the host how to do a few moves...this is an actual "How to" show. I don't think I'm even going to be giving a performance.

I plan to talk a bit about what belly dance is at the beggining, its history, maybe show a few associated props, and then proceed with correct posture and stance. Any thoughts or ideas on how I should proceed? Maybe suggest a few moves? Any help will be appreciated!
    Perhaps some saidi-footwork and hip-drop-kicks and some earthy arabesques could work for parts of the mini-choreography?
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    Perhaps some saidi-footwork and hip-drop-kicks and some earthy arabesques could work for parts of the mini-choreography?
    That's a great idea Daimona! Most begginers tend to pick up drop-kicks quickly even if they don't turn out perfectly isolated at the hips and saidi-footwork will be fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maria_harlequin View Post
    That's a great idea Daimona! Most begginers tend to pick up drop-kicks quickly even if they don't turn out perfectly isolated at the hips and saidi-footwork will be fun.
    Exactly. Perhaps a few shoulder and torso moves as well. And saidi-music are usually fun to dance to as well.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, chest and hip circles, using the "front, now right, now back, now left. Good, do it again, and and speed up a bit, now lets smooth them out" method.

Post Thanks / Like

I find that most beginners can pick up hip twists fairly easily. Tell her to put a gentle bend in her knees and alternate squeezing each glute - most people will naturally start doing a small twist when they do this.

P.S. You should record the show and post to youtube or something else so we can see!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nightdancer View Post
    Also, chest and hip circles, using the "front, now right, now back, now left. Good, do it again, and and speed up a bit, now lets smooth them out" method.
    Most beginners find chest circles very difficult.

With hip circles, many people will do a tilting circle which done slowly for a short time is safe enough - but can look very crude.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariella View Post
    I find that most beginners can pick up hip twists fairly easily. Tell her to put a gentle bend in her knees and alternate squeezing each glute - most people will naturally start doing a small twist when they do this.
    I agree most people can do a twist easy enough - but I wouldn't use the glute squeezing method. Most beginners cannot control their glutes at all let alone isolate them one at a time. Let her push with her legs - its only a one off lesson (of course she should use her obliques - but try and teach that in a single lesson!)