What moves?

maria_harlequin

My friend has a small TV show where she picks a new activity to try out each week and for next week, she wants to try out belly dancing. However, she's extremely stiff and can't isolate easily if at all. For a normal beginner's class, this would be fine and I can slowly help her out but I don't think it's going to work for a TV show...I'd also like to throw in an easy combination at the end. And this isn't a short segment where I'll be performing and then try to teach the host how to do a few moves...this is an actual "How to" show. I don't think I'm even going to be giving a performance.

I plan to talk a bit about what belly dance is at the beggining, its history, maybe show a few associated props, and then proceed with correct posture and stance. Any thoughts or ideas on how I should proceed? Maybe suggest a few moves? Any help will be appreciated!

Daimona

My friend has a small TV show where she picks a new activity to try out each week and for next week, she wants to try out belly dancing. However, she's extremely stiff and can't isolate easily if at all. For a normal beginner's class, this would be fine and I can slowly help her out but I don't think it's going to work for a TV show...I'd also like to throw in an easy combination at the end. And this isn't a short segment where I'll be performing and then try to teach the host how to do a few moves...this is an actual "How to" show. I don't think I'm even going to be giving a performance.

I plan to talk a bit about what belly dance is at the beggining, its history, maybe show a few associated props, and then proceed with correct posture and stance. Any thoughts or ideas on how I should proceed? Maybe suggest a few moves? Any help will be appreciated!

:think: Perhaps some saidi-footwork and hip-drop-kicks and some earthy arabesques could work for parts of the mini-choreography?

maria_harlequin

:think: Perhaps some saidi-footwork and hip-drop-kicks and some earthy arabesques could work for parts of the mini-choreography?

That's a great idea Daimona! Most begginers tend to pick up drop-kicks quickly even if they don't turn out perfectly isolated at the hips and saidi-footwork will be fun.

Daimona

That's a great idea Daimona! Most begginers tend to pick up drop-kicks quickly even if they don't turn out perfectly isolated at the hips and saidi-footwork will be fun.
Exactly. Perhaps a few shoulder and torso moves as well. And saidi-music are usually fun to dance to as well. :)

nightdancer

Also, chest and hip circles, using the "front, now right, now back, now left. Good, do it again, and and speed up a bit, now lets smooth them out" method.

Ariella

I find that most beginners can pick up hip twists fairly easily. Tell her to put a gentle bend in her knees and alternate squeezing each glute - most people will naturally start doing a small twist when they do this.

P.S. You should record the show and post to youtube or something else so we can see!

Kashmir

Also, chest and hip circles, using the "front, now right, now back, now left. Good, do it again, and and speed up a bit, now lets smooth them out" method.
Most beginners find chest circles very difficult.

With hip circles, many people will do a tilting circle which done slowly for a short time is safe enough - but can look very crude.

Kashmir

I find that most beginners can pick up hip twists fairly easily. Tell her to put a gentle bend in her knees and alternate squeezing each glute - most people will naturally start doing a small twist when they do this.
I agree most people can do a twist easy enough - but I wouldn't use the glute squeezing method. Most beginners cannot control their glutes at all let alone isolate them one at a time. Let her push with her legs - its only a one off lesson (of course she should use her obliques - but try and teach that in a single lesson!)