Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How About Sharing Your Entire Lesson Plan

Wonderful sharing of views here, despite being a difficult question.

And I'm learning good stuff here...

cos, with these answers.. we beginners can at least indentify important basic areas to work on and not miss out on the foundation every belly dancers should know.

Guess what!, even with these so call basic moves. I'll need to read and research more to see how some of these moves looks like and hows its done..

like hows the "Egyptian basic travelling step" Yasmine mentioned looks like.

oh and yeah, anyone kind to share their suggested lesson plan?
    That would be wonderful, even for the instructors who may benefit from one anothers unique lesson plans.

Meantime, I'll share this wonderful feedback with the participants.. they're gonna love it!

I'll definately be referencing back to this topic posting periodically as a newbie to belly dancing for the great suggestions.

Meantime..
    Who'd like to be the first to share their suggested lesson plan?

It'll be a real eye opener for beginners..!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vinstones, there many variations to even the most basic dance moves. Oriental Dance doesn't have a "true" standard vocabulary and as such different teachers uses different names for the same moves. This can be especially confusing for new dancers. The lesson plan used at my school is the intellectual property of my teacher and so I can't share it with you :o . If you and/or your wife are taking classes it just may be simpler to learn your teacher's technique/vocabulary than review a truckload of different movements.

I learned the Egyptian basic step as a travel move that moves the dancer from one point to the next. I'm sure there are variety of ways to describe it, so I'll share the version that I learned. All travel steps involve a foot pattern with weight changes from one foot to the next: Small step forward with right foot(weight on rt. foot), then bring the left foot forward to touch on balls of the foot, either in front of the rt. foot or next to it. Then transfer the weight as you step with the lt. foot and touch with the rt. foot. So the pattern is step-touch, step-touch. Usually arms also form a pattern with this step (there are many ways to do this)When you step with the rt. foot the rt. arm extends in front of the dancer and the left arm/hand frames the face as the lt. foot touches the floor. As the feet move in the step-touch pattern the arms switch position. With the Egyptian Basic step a dancer can travel sideways or forward and back.
    yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like a variation of what I have always known as the Cobra, though one does not necessarily alternate leading feet in Cobra.

Vocabulary. I think it is too late to standardize it, but it would sure be handy to have a list of synonyms for dance steps somewhere!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

See what I mean? I learned the Cobra as a snaky arm move that intertwines as you bring the arms down in front of the body.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    Hi Vinstones, there many variations to even the most basic dance moves. Oriental Dance doesn't have a "true" standard vocabulary and as such different teachers uses different names for the same moves. This can be especially confusing for new dancers. The lesson plan used at my school is the intellectual property of my teacher and so I can't share it with you :o . If you and/or your wife are taking classes it just may be simpler to learn your teacher's technique/vocabulary than review a truckload of different movements.
    yasmine
    Yes, now I understand that there isn't a rigid term/names to a move.

I guess thats the beauty of it.. endless variation unique to each dancers style and interpretation..

Btw. you're good at discribing the moves in words..

Thanks Yasmin..

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome Vinstones!
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Default what would be the most basic move a beginners should learn first

Hi there ...this is what i do for my level 1 class....posture...but not to heavy on that one in the begining.....normal strait hipdrop, than i do 4 basic travelsteps ....2 sideway,s....2 back and front....all in maksoum .....i call it earth movements....we start balady...for the water move,s than we do 8 up,8down,barrels.....normal camel,and a long camel.....i start shimmy,s,and sholder shimmy,s,.......and start turning on the strech....and a good understanding from the dom and the tek,what i think is realy inportant....i do streching and cardio aswell......so a very simple class for the very beginners nice and easy and most people get treu it in 6 to 8 hours.........have a great day Lydia

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia dubai View Post
    Hi there ...this is what i do for my level 1 class....posture...but not to heavy on that one in the begining.....normal strait hipdrop, than i do 4 basic travelsteps ....2 sideway,s....2 back and front....all in maksoum .....i call it earth movements....we start balady...for the water move,s than we do 8 up,8down,barrels.....normal camel,and a long camel.....i start shimmy,s,and sholder shimmy,s,.......and start turning on the strech....and a good understanding from the dom and the tek,what i think is realy inportant....i do streching and cardio aswell......so a very simple class for the very beginners nice and easy and most people get treu it in 6 to 8 hours.........have a great day Lydia
    Wow!,

Thanks Lydia for sharing that..

I will print this out and show my wife, see she can perform it..

Wonder if she will show it to the class (all beginners) he he..

I feel beginners like us benefited most from this forum..

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with you

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vinstones......you are welcome...I dont put any name,s in the class untill level 2...i just keep it very simple to make it easy and comfi for the newbe,s so many differant names ,i think is confusing specialy when you just start and want to concentrate on the steps to get it correct....so names i put later....also i let students always try to dance alone in the class for 5 minutes...after 6 classes,and when they get stuck i just tel them from a distance number 2 or 3 ,or 8 up and its so easy then to make them understand what would fit there and then....sometime,s i just hold up 2 or 3 fingers while they dance and it works perfect .when they get stuck they just look at me while dancing and get my signal and can contineu .....i make groups for water and earth and fire....so if it is earth and number 1 fit also 2,3,4, fit and it becomes realy easy for them and usely very fast the students are able to do a song alone and dont have to wait a long time to go to party,s and join in with others having a good time.....ofcourse i am talking now just to have fune in a party ,not to be a prof dancer.....hope this helps a bit.....have a great day Lydia

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast