Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    This could be true for a lot of people, however there are also lots of counter examples, fortunately! Not that I think there's something wrong with your opinion, I only hope you don't tell your students this, might be very discouraging.
    I started at age 20 (almost 21) and I'm dancing little over a year now. Though I don't consider myself extremely talented, I don't think I will never manage to do it. I will probably be less good then people who that started earlier, but hey, I can still be good!
    A nice example came from one of the forum members here (sorry I don't remember who) who knows a lady that started at age 75 or so and is dancing for more then 10 years now. She dances with a sword and is very popular.
    How encouraging is that?

I start to dance when I was 6 years old ..I dance now since 18 years I didnt say that I say this to my students ! Was just my opinion! I want to make the people feel good ,not bad.For the people wich they try to learn this dance I have very big respect just because they try it and this is something (because is not at all easy for them ) ! As for that lady all my pray be with her

PS. Keep on with your dancing. Exercise make the maester !

Lots of love,
    Princess
    Last edited by Princess; 01-11-2007 at 07:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of students here to be discouraged though and I'm one of them, I'm starting at 26!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Age on starting bellydance

...so long you dont start from small child to learn this dance I dont think that you will ever managed !
    I agree with Moon - I don't think we should be discouraged ladies! (and gents of course )

It depends why you are learning. If you have ambitions to be a world-class professional maybe you do have to start young/have natural talent/put in hours of practice etc etc. But not to have fun and look reasonably good, perform at the odd hafla, or maybe do local gigs. What does matter if there are some moves that take so long to "get" that you never quite get there? It's not all about being technically accomplished - you can still entertain (others and/or yourself) with the basics. And inspire other people (85+ year old sword dancer. ).

Also I wonder where you draw the line between those who have managed to learn it and those who haven't? At what point do you tick the box and say OK, done it? (rhetorical question. I know the answer... )

What do the experienced teachers out there think?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Movements, etc.

Dear Aniseteph and group,
    This is what I have learned from almost 32 years of teaching. In the realm of Middle Eastern dance, there is something for (almost) everyone. The dancer who is not good at Turkish belly dance just might be the best Debke dancer around! I had one student who was not a good dancer. She had terrible arthritis, as well as a sort of general clumsiness. But in her head, she was amazing and she is one of the best choreographers that I have had the pleasure to work with.
    Maybe someone is not such a great dancer. But they turn out the best costumer ever, or are fabulous announcer, wonderful researcher, or great musician.
    I also agree that it does not have to be about being technically accomplished, as long as the dancer her/himself understands their limitations. It's when the ego gets ahead of the actuality that we get into trouble. There are hafla level dancers who are happy to be just that, but even they can have hidden talents that surprise us!
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'd like to think I COULD be a world class professional...but I know I don't have that much time to devote to it so I'm not aiming that high...but I like to dream that it could be possible...eh, I suppose that is ego...but I've never been one to dream big, what's wrong with doing it now??? Although I must say I don't know if I have natural ability, I don't even know if I'm coordinated...but still I like to dream...don't take away my dream!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Aniseteph and group,
    This is what I have learned from almost 32 years of teaching. In the realm of Middle Eastern dance, there is something for (almost) everyone. The dancer who is not good at Turkish belly dance just might be the best Debke dancer around! I had one student who was not a good dancer. She had terrible arthritis, as well as a sort of general clumsiness. But in her head, she was amazing and she is one of the best choreographers that I have had the pleasure to work with.
    Maybe someone is not such a great dancer. But they turn out the best costumer ever, or are fabulous announcer, wonderful researcher, or great musician.
    I also agree that it does not have to be about being technically accomplished, as long as the dancer her/himself understands their limitations. It's when the ego gets ahead of the actuality that we get into trouble. There are hafla level dancers who are happy to be just that, but even they can have hidden talents that surprise us!
    Regards,
    A'isha
    So Wise!
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

I dont get why you see only the bad part I dont want to discouraged anyone ..it is so heavy to accept the opinion of others?

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Princess, I didn't say I think you told you students this (you sound too intelligent for actions like that)
    There's nothing wrong with your opinion, though I guess it's based on personal experience (which is normal for opinions) so I just wanted to give a counter example to encourage everyone, as I think it's a very encouraging story!

By the way I found out which member told the story about the old lady, it's Viv, so if anyone wants to know more, check out her homepage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Dear Princess, I didn't say I think you told you students this (you sound too intelligent for actions like that)
    There's nothing wrong with your opinion, though I guess it's based on personal experience (which is normal for opinions) so I just wanted to give a counter example to encourage everyone, as I think it's a very encouraging story!

By the way I found out which member told the story about the old lady, it's Viv, so if anyone wants to know more, check out her homepage.

Thank you for understanding me ! This is the point I wanted to dont be taken wrong ! It is based on personal experience ,how I say before to !

Lots of love,
    Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Hey,

I started at 35,

And I find it's great fun..

IMHO, The fun is in the journey, not the destination...

That's why I dance so badly, but still enjoy doing it.

But at least I save many people from eyesore by not performing.

You can call me a "Bedroom Belly Dancer" or B.B.D. for short.

Cheers and loosen up

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast