Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is important to watch your teacher demonstrate the movement, but shadowing them or essentially copying them not so much. I have seen people in class want to "look sooooo much like our teacher because her movements are sooooo great." Well, yeah we all want to look fluid and impressive with our movements, but she has been doing it for years. They don't listen to what she is saying about the movements: the break down, how it should feel, the posture you need, or the analogies she'll make about the movement so they can really understand how its done. It's like they are one step ahead of themselves. I think when you have an understanding of the movements, then you can shadow a teacher easily because you have the understanding and "seeing" ability... well most of the time... I have seen people that still can't "see" much of anything.

oh and I have had a sub for my classes recently and it was pure torture!!!!! She was just horrible. We have had subs before who have been amazing, but we got the bad end of the deal this past couple weeks.

Hoping next class is better,

Tia-Serena

Post Thanks / Like

this is true.

and what looks good on one person will not look good on another. eventually a person will branch out on their own and find their own look. well...i would hope BUT... there are so many clones in the world of RB.

but as far as mechanics they are fundamental to dance. this is what i mean by shadow- your alignment. it is what i learn first in every move, or "try to". no move is correct if posture is bad, imo.

and BTW where is that link someone had started, "what moves do you tuck the pelvis under for"

more times than not i find my pelvis doing its own thing. so far no pain or discomfort but i do not want to be creating damage for my body without knowing it.
    Last edited by charity; 06-28-2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charity View Post
    this is true.

and what looks good on one person will not look good on another. eventually a person will branch out on their own and find their own look. well...i would hope BUT... there are so many clones in the world of RB.

but as far as mechanics they are fundamental to dance. this is what i mean by shadow- your alignment. it is what i learn first in every move, or "try to". no move is correct if posture is bad, imo.

and BTW where is that link someone had started, "what moves do you tuck the pelvis under for"

more times than not i find my pelvis doing its own thing. so far no pain or discomfort but i do not want to be creating damage for my body without knowing it.
    i see what you mean about shadowing in that terminology. getting a feel for it. i agree with that.

i completely agree about posture... i always have to keep that in mind while i am dancing because it wasn't the first thing taught to me and i have come to realize the importance of it through this forum and taking workshops.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678