Question: What would be the 3 most basic move a beginners should learn first?

Shanazel

The three basic moves a beginner needs to learn first:

Stand up straight.

Shut your mouth.

Open your ears.

Aisha Azar

Beginners

The three basic moves a beginner needs to learn first:

Stand up straight.

Shut your mouth.

Open your ears.

Dear Group,
And, to follow Shanazel's very good lead, I would add:

Open your eyes as well and learn how to see movement!!

Regards,
A'isha

charity

i think that is the biggest obstacle people have in learning to dance. they cant "see" what is being done and so they cannot recreate it with their own body. i am amazed how many people in class have trouble translating what they see into what they do.

either that or they focus too hard on it and cannot accomplish it because of forceful, over-thinking.

just because there are mirrors does not mean you have to watch yourself in them when learning a new move. watch the teacher, shadow her rather than "making your own moves". that way later you have imagery to guide your practice.

Moon

I'm usually watching the teacher very carefully when we learn a new move and it works for me. We had a guest teacher once who was rather chubby and wore a dress and I could hardly see how she did the movements.

charity

yea that doesnt help at all.

my teacher is changing for this next class, i did not know. i wonder what this will be like. some people are just better teachers than others. i like the one i have. we'll see how it goes.

the one time we did have a sub, it was a nightmare. she was doing EVERYTHING different and her posture was TERRIBLE. i didnt WANT to learn from her.

Charni

Charity makes a good point

the one time we did have a sub, it was a nightmare. she was doing EVERYTHING different and her posture was TERRIBLE. i didnt WANT to learn from her.[/QUOTE]

Charity, you are so right! When the posture is terrible the whole thing can be so off putting! I always start with what I call "The Belly Dance Stance" or posture. Not only does it look better, but protects the back as well! .... Throughout the class I say periodically "tummy in, tail under" to remind us all to stand right. I have joked that I should just record myself saying it and just press play! It's so important that it's worth the 'broken record' I am (or should that be 'scratched CD' to update the term!!!:lol:)

I also call it the "Instantly Lose 5 kilo Diet" (That's about 10 pound) as you can instantly look thinner and fitter by standing right! Do you agree?

charity

definitely, elongating the spine actually keeps the torso and lower body "seperate" and gives the appearance of a longer, thinner waistline. i am constantly struggling with my posture. i tend to lengthen and separate good enough but now have been made aware of an incline or rather recline. i know where i learned that from...a particular dvd. i am in the process of trying to unlearn it. its much harder unlearning. it takes constant effort and fine tuning. agh.

Didi

I also call it the "Instantly Lose 5 kilo Diet" (That's about 10 pound) as you can instantly look thinner and fitter by standing right! Do you agree?

100% agree. That tucked pelvis does wonders for the waist. And I must say, learning to keep my shoulders down has done wonders for my look, as well. Makes the neck look longer, brings out the collarbone... and pops out the chest a little bit (can't hurt :lol:). My shoulders were the hardest part to keep correct at first, because I work on the computer all day, and I had gotten a hunched over posture as a result. Yuck! :(

Even now, I have to remind myself, though, mostly when I am learning a brand new move. I start concentrating on the mechanics of the move, and suddenly my posture has gone all wonky. :confused: Practicing in front of a full-length mirror is a great way to remind yourself of proper posture, because you see the results of inattention instantly!

Didi

TiaSerena

I think it is important to watch your teacher demonstrate the movement, but shadowing them or essentially copying them not so much. I have seen people in class want to "look sooooo much like our teacher because her movements are sooooo great." Well, yeah we all want to look fluid and impressive with our movements, but she has been doing it for years. They don't listen to what she is saying about the movements: the break down, how it should feel, the posture you need, or the analogies she'll make about the movement so they can really understand how its done. It's like they are one step ahead of themselves. I think when you have an understanding of the movements, then you can shadow a teacher easily because you have the understanding and "seeing" ability... well most of the time... ;) I have seen people that still can't "see" much of anything.

oh and I have had a sub for my classes recently and it was pure torture!!!!! She was just horrible. We have had subs before who have been amazing, but we got the bad end of the deal this past couple weeks.

Hoping next class is better,

Tia-Serena

charity

this is true.

and what looks good on one person will not look good on another. eventually a person will branch out on their own and find their own look. well...i would hope BUT... there are so many clones in the world of RB.

but as far as mechanics they are fundamental to dance. this is what i mean by shadow- your alignment. it is what i learn first in every move, or "try to". no move is correct if posture is bad, imo.

and BTW where is that link someone had started, "what moves do you tuck the pelvis under for"

more times than not i find my pelvis doing its own thing. so far no pain or discomfort but i do not want to be creating damage for my body without knowing it.

Last edited:

TiaSerena

this is true.

and what looks good on one person will not look good on another. eventually a person will branch out on their own and find their own look. well...i would hope BUT... there are so many clones in the world of RB.

but as far as mechanics they are fundamental to dance. this is what i mean by shadow- your alignment. it is what i learn first in every move, or "try to". no move is correct if posture is bad, imo.

and BTW where is that link someone had started, "what moves do you tuck the pelvis under for"

more times than not i find my pelvis doing its own thing. so far no pain or discomfort but i do not want to be creating damage for my body without knowing it.

i see what you mean about shadowing in that terminology. getting a feel for it. i agree with that.

i completely agree about posture... i always have to keep that in mind while i am dancing because it wasn't the first thing taught to me and i have come to realize the importance of it through this forum and taking workshops.