Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Roll  Eyes I'm new here, so hello everyone!

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and utterly new to belly dancing too. In fact, I can barely get my belly muscles to move, and so to find out more about belly rolls as well as everything else about belly dancing, I took a plunge and joined the forums.

What has made me want to do belly dancing?? Well, I don't do much/any exercise, and I used to *briefly* do a bit of a few dance styles when I was little: ballet-for a few months, highland dancing-a few months as well, disco dancing-a few weeks, line dancing-about a year or so. I've never been far enough to perform, or to acquire any skill, flexibility, good posture, strength, stamina or gracefulness from them, and decided that belly dancing would be a fun way to be more fit and aware of moving my body, as well as being a challenge and something I wouldn't really need anyone else to instruct me(I hope) or to dance with me to do.(as opposed to salsa and other dances).

I hope() no one gets annoyed at my constant questions, my severe ignorance about belly dancing, and my superficiality for all things glittery, sparkly and colourful!

tys.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sweetie! Welcome to the forum. You would do wisely to start with reading a lot through the existing threads as there are a huge amount of advice for beginners already here. You might find the answers to your questions even without asking.
    If you want to advance in this dance it will be a huge help to get a live instructor. They can help you find those belly muscles ad control them
    Do you currently take classes? Whereabouts are you?

I hope you will enjoy the forum.
    Regards Gisela
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Ambitious. I hope you find this is the dance for you. There are lotsof very useful threads on advice on styles,music here. Have a good look!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't take classes, because I've only recently decided to attempt to belly dance. You're right that it would be better to get a teacher, but I dunno if I'm comfortable yet with the idea of flashing my belly to a stranger when I hardly know anything about the type of dance yet.

I also feel less ridiculous being in my room trying out belly moves and snake arms with myself looking in the mirror, than if I were to try them out for the first time in front of someone else.

I live in Scotland, near Edinburgh.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey AmbitiousBelly,

Don't worry about "flashing" your belly to strangers! You don't have to wear a crop top or whatever, you can just wear a covering tank top. That's what most of my students do.

A live instructor is much much better than doing it on your own, but if you still don't feel comfortable, try getting some dvds or renting them to learn. youtube is ok sometimes, but from what i've seen, some if not most are very....inexperienced haha.

welcome to the wonderful world of belly dance! hope to see you posting!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome ambitious. I'm a grandmother of 9, a bit on the Rubenesque side and just started belly dancing two months ago. Like you I didn't want to "flash" anyone, lest they get ill. Needless to say, a snug tee shirt and yoga pants are working very well. I'm not embarrassed and they're not offended. I would strongly recommend you look for a good teacher as soon as possible so you don't have to unlearn bad habits.

Good luck and welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find heaps of info here to help you on your way. As Nath said, you don't have to bare the belly in class, T/shirts & Tank tops are quite the norm for class settings.

As others have mentioned getting into a class will help you progress a lot quicker and prevent falling into bad habits. Also you will find that everyone is most welcoming in classes, they have all been totally new beginners at some stage, so understand how a newbie is feeling I think you will find that you love the class situation and will join the throngs of people who can't wait for their next class ...
    *Warning: BD is very addictive
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Default on the search for a teacher

Thank you all so much!

I understand what you mean about learning faster if I had a teacher, since already I have had to come on here for advice! So I will look around to find a teacher or beginner class.

I'm also very happy to know that I don't have to have my stomach out for the classes.

Tys again.

Post Thanks / Like

I never ever bare my belly in class because I don't feel comfortable with it and that is ok. We dance better when we feel comfortable and relaxed.

I don't know much about Scotland but I have heard of several teachers in Edinburgh in case you are able to travel there.

Shira.net has a teachers' directory:Find Belly Dancing Teachers and Performers in the United Kingdom! Belly Dance Lessons and Dancers! Search for Belly Dancers!
    as does orientaldancer.net:Belly Dance Classes in Scotland, United Kingdom

You might be able to get some try out classes to see if the teacher and you are a match, some even offer them for free, some might charge for one class.
    Good luck
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

What is tys?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast