hagala, or "shimmy walk" question...

Megarah

Hello everybody,

I've been following class now for the second year and we are really into this new shimmy walk that is called I think 'hagala' shimmy...

My teacher explained it like a hip movement comming from behind with the accent on the front drop and 1 shimmy movement on the same hip and then 2 on the other hip...and then you start moving the other hip...hope it make a bit sense ??

But I really can't seem to get it right, looks like a little duck walk to me....:eek:

On the other hand, we did an 'african style' shimmy with the hip accent in the back ( stretching your leg on the back acccent and that works fine for me...

Does anyone have some helpfull tips to practice these 'hagala'shimmys ?

Thank you so much,

Meg

gisela

Super Moderator
My teacher explained it like a hip movement comming from behind with the accent on the front drop and 1 shimmy movement on the same hip and then 2 on the other hip...and then you start moving the other hip...hope it make a bit sense ??

I learnt it as "down-up-down, down-up-down" 1-2-3,1-2-3 etc, with the movement coming from behind, accent on the front drop, as you say, then up and down with that same hip, then the other side. Don't know if that's the same as your teacher explained it.
In the classes I take, there has been a lot of confusion about haggala, egyptian walk, shimmy-walk, 3/4-shimmy etc. What are the differences, where is the pause, is there a pause...? All my teachers have different opinions. I would say that it depends on the music if the pause comes on 1, 2, 3 or the 4th beat or not at all. If someone else can specify the shimmie-walks it would be interesting.

But I really can't seem to get it right, looks like a little duck walk to me....:eek:

lol:D I think you are on the right track! I remember in the beginning we all looked like ducks in my class. I would say it's important to step gracefully. In this move you tend to just put the flat foot down very "duck-like" and it's not very pretty. (I'm not a teacher of course so please correct me if I say something completely stupid) Put the foot down soft with the balls first and keep the heel just a tiny bit loose as you make the big accent, then step fully on it. The posture is of course very important as always and I try to stretch my belly-side (can't find a proper english word now, sorry) as much as possible to accentuate the down-movement. With varying the side stretch you can choose to make the move more staccato and isolated or more worked through and hmmm...passionate maybe? Again depending on the music. Otherwise just practice alot with feeling the rhythm and the music.
I shimmied down the empty corridors at university for a looong time before the duck feeling gave in and the dance feeling came.
Best of luck,
gisela

Maria_Aya

Oh my!!!
The "Hagala Mystery reloaded" lol
I'll tell you my experience.
Been tought this step from 4 different teachers all of them I respect.
All movements for hagala different lol
So for my students i teach it as 4 variations "of a lost in the desert movement" (this way i call the movements that no one agree lol. Indicating everytime the teacher that learned this from.
So from Farida Fahmy (Egypt), imagine a L that comes from down block and go up, then the other foot. No front no back.
From Assia Guembra (Algeria), the "duck step" described as above.
From my first teacher Kika (Greek) a side to side movement of the hip + shimmy and step.
From Farouk Mustafa (Egypt) a non stop hardcore shimmy while steping in front with a bit closed (damn cant describe it) steps.
Personal I like all the stepings and dont care how they are called;)

Maria Aya

Hi Ladies, this is the one down side to Orientl Dance-vocabulary. What I learned as the "haggallah" step (form your description) is the "Samiha" from Cassandra Shore. In which one hip moves forward and down using the feet to create a sharp accent. The same year at Oasis Dance Camp, Denise Enan taught a version of the Haggallah in which we used alot 3/4 shimmies.

Jillina and Leyla Jouvana describe the haggallah step as pushing one hip back as an accent keeping the feet flat. Keti Sharif further describes an "Africanized" version in which a small pelvic tilt is added between each hip accent. Haggallah is folkloric dance found among Nomadic tribes in Western Egypt and therefore it has a more earthy feel, while the "Samiha" step is more lifted and can be used in cabaret performances.

Are we confused yet? It seems we can describe each movement but what do we call them? So here's a call from our more experienced Sisters and Brothers in dance, are there any othe names for the steps just described?

Yasmine

gisela

Super Moderator
are there any othe names for the steps just described?

haha, yes, but this is not an official name. When I first heard the term three-quarter-shimmy, most of the group (being non-english) actually "heard" the teacher say "free-water-shimmy" which we found very poetic, but a bit strange. So... for about an hour, we thought we were learning the free-water-shimmy, until someone asked about the origin of that name. :D

But anyway, I think it's amazing with all the variations. Delicious detailing!

Megarah, don't be confused. Focus on learning your teachers way of doing haggala, but keep in mind that no instructor comes with the ultimate truth. I've seen many students who only have had one teacher and if they try another one they get pissed off, because she/he has other vocabulary or performs a move in a different way.

Megarah

Megarah, don't be confused. Focus on learning your teachers way of doing haggala, but keep in mind that no instructor comes with the ultimate truth. I've seen many students who only have had one teacher and if they try another one they get pissed off, because she/he has other vocabulary or performs a move in a different way.

Hehe, learned the 'free water shimmy too'....nice way to put it, though..

Well, thanks to the fact my teacher is pregnant, we have an other girl every once in a while to teach us, and she has a totally different style...it's great to see the differences between them...

Yes, now it's practice-time....be aware, no empty corrydor or elevator is safe again now...:D

Thanks a lot, everybody for the great tips !!

Meg

milky

I felt that I started to get the hang of it,but still need more effort to do it more gracefully.

Rebecca_

Wait, I've actually learned a "three quarter" shimmy in class a while ago. I wonder if this is supposed to be a "free water" shimmy hehe.... the movement as I was taught it involves sliding the hips, and then lifting the hip opposite to the slide up and down. So the entire movement is three beats: 1)slide right 2) left hip up 3) right hip down 1) slide left 2) right hip up 3) right hip down and when you do it fast enough it is a shimmy... I've also been told this is an egyptian shimmy.

Ludmilla

shimmy walk.....?

Since this thread is called Hagalla or "shimmy walk" question -- Here is one:
We have a quick part of a drum piece where we do a "shimmy walk" for 4 counts, several times (alternating w/ a few other steps in between).
BUT this "shimmy walk" is a real 4 step walk forward while shimmying -and to a very fast beat!! ... "Egyptian", glute shimmy -- whatever you can produce.
A 3/4 shimmy would normally be what I'd think of for anythiing that walks/moves forward at the same time, but this step calls for a 4/4 vibration or knee shimmy or ...? (not a 3/4)
Can anyone tell me a pointer for moving forward w/ a shimmy as isolated to hips as possible (not looking like just shaking all over) -- (have tried lifting, etc but can't move knees/Egyptian shimmy, and move feet to walk at the same time.....Best to bend knees more?? Or less??
I'm probably getting a bit better while practicing a few methods (mainly bending knees more and engaging glutes more seems to be fairly ok, but thought I'd ask all of you for a few comments -- Thanks-- Ludy --

Hi Ludmilla, If you are using an Egyptian shimmy while walking forward, then it's better to slide your feet forward in small increments. To get used to this move, try an Egyptian shimmy in a stationary position and shift your weight side to side. As you get used to the weight shifts, then slide your foot forward, the other leg will maintain the shimmy as your weight shifts.
If you are using a basic hip shimmy, try a rapid side to side motion as opposed to up and down, again you should feel enough weight shift in order to move the foot forward.Let me know how this works out.
Yasmine

Ludmilla

Hi Yasmine -- BOth of these methods feel much much smoother already! I will review your note in more detail I am sure, and am very glad, very appreciative of these solutions! Thank you so much again!! (I can tell I will be practicing this all weekend now.) I'll let you know if there is still a problem, but think you explained perfectly. Hugs, and Have a great weekend -- Ludmilla

Madeline

Since this thread is called Hagalla or "shimmy walk" question -- Here is one:
We have a quick part of a drum piece where we do a "shimmy walk" for 4 counts, several times (alternating w/ a few other steps in between).
BUT this "shimmy walk" is a real 4 step walk forward while shimmying -and to a very fast beat!! ... "Egyptian", glute shimmy -- whatever you can produce.
A 3/4 shimmy would normally be what I'd think of for anythiing that walks/moves forward at the same time, but this step calls for a 4/4 vibration or knee shimmy or ...? (not a 3/4)
Can anyone tell me a pointer for moving forward w/ a shimmy as isolated to hips as possible (not looking like just shaking all over) -- (have tried lifting, etc but can't move knees/Egyptian shimmy, and move feet to walk at the same time.....Best to bend knees more?? Or less??
I'm probably getting a bit better while practicing a few methods (mainly bending knees more and engaging glutes more seems to be fairly ok, but thought I'd ask all of you for a few comments -- Thanks-- Ludy --

Hello Ludy!

I think the name of the ¾ shimmy is somewhat misleading, because really it can be done to any kind of music.

One way I learned to do it is that you do three hip moves for every count. On each count you step forward and at the same time, move your hip (the same leg you stepped onto, so your weight is on the leg) up, then down, and then up again. All of these movements are done quickly to one count of the music. On the next count you repeat this but on the opposite side.

For the Hagalla shimmy, you do the exact same hip movement as above but with the opposite hip to the one that steps forwards. (Hopefully I’m explaining this well enough! :think: )

Madeline :dance: :dance: :dance:

P.S. Leyla Jouvana’s “1001 Shimmies and 21 Variations” video is extremely helpful!

Ludmilla

Madeline -- Thanks for the pointers -- it is not 3/4 shimmy at all -- Thanks though - 'spose I can always improve that, too!

:) :)

Yasmine -- my initial practice seemed promising -- I find to be at all capable w/ this, my Egyptian shimmy w/ walk (your technique) still shakes my torso a bit and can't really be isolated.
The Plan B of side to side glute shimmy is proably easier for me than the other way, and the way I achieve this is basicallly leaning torso a bit foward and "butt-shake" (which isolates glutes from legs somewhat in order to do these simultaneously.) It does NOT feel graceful no matter what I do.
Thank goodness it's only for a few counts at a time in the piece and fast so people will not notice my "wobbliness" or lack of ease of this movement. (I guess it's more for the impression of it than the technique because even my teacher says that most people can't do this easily.)

Is this "awkwardness" and feeling of "just winging this" to do it right at all normal, or am I really just not getting it?? Regards -- Ludy --

Mariesaffron

( agala) shimmy walk

Madeline, bellydancerlovetoshimmy, and ludmilla,I can tell you about the 3/4 shimmy and other shimmys I know, in the Hadia's certification level 1 she teach how to do a shimmy by just slightly bending your knees one at a time and doing a back and front shimmy with your tights and belive me you walk with this shimmy, specially beautyfull for Saidi, we did an out and in with the hip and then transfer the weight with the inner tight for a 3/4 shimmy. the source is "Hadia's Ultimate Belly Dance Sistem" set of four DVDs. Marie

Madeline -- Thanks for the pointers -- it is not 3/4 shimmy at all -- Thanks though - 'spose I can always improve that, too!

:) :)

Yasmine -- my initial practice seemed promising -- I find to be at all capable w/ this, my Egyptian shimmy w/ walk (your technique) still shakes my torso a bit and can't really be isolated.
The Plan B of side to side glute shimmy is proably easier for me than the other way, and the way I achieve this is basicallly leaning torso a bit foward and "butt-shake" (which isolates glutes from legs somewhat in order to do these simultaneously.) It does NOT feel graceful no matter what I do.
Thank goodness it's only for a few counts at a time in the piece and fast so people will not notice my "wobbliness" or lack of ease of this movement. (I guess it's more for the impression of it than the technique because even my teacher says that most people can't do this easily.)

Is this "awkwardness" and feeling of "just winging this" to do it right at all normal, or am I really just not getting it?? Regards -- Ludy --

Hi Ludmilla, Yes this is an awkward move for me too. We use this style of shimmy in one of our choreos and everyone has initial diffifculty with it. Just like your choreo, the move itself is only for a few counts. For me it's a matter of maintaing my posture and centeredness while maintaining my shimmy, this is not my favortie way to shimmy and travel. I prefer the 3/4shimmy or choo-choo shimmy. Ask your teacher to demonstrate what she wants and break it down further. There are some moves in the Oriental dance universe that is just plain difficult no matter how much you practice. So in cases like these your attitude whie dancing can carry you through.
Yasmine

Nayila

the hagallah mystery continues

haha, yes, but this is not an official name. When I first heard the term three-quarter-shimmy, most of the group (being non-english) actually "heard" the teacher say "free-water-shimmy" which we found very poetic, but a bit strange. So... for about an hour, we thought we were learning the free-water-shimmy, until someone asked about the origin of that name. :D

I agree with everyone! actually 3/4 shimmy is common in USA as not not many if any new students will know that Hagala is a regional dance. Yasmina al bint nubia--i would love to see the shamira or that step. could not quite picture it from the descriptions all running together in my head. I do think that 3/4 shimmy walk worked for me but i would start with shimmy drills and only progress to a hagalla when it can be performed easily and at a variety of tempos. this is such a standard move for me--and i do a little pelvic dip naturally as i am trained in african dance. it feels better--more rooted for me as i dance as a kind of praise action!