Zaffa?

Yshka

Hi everyone,

my friend was asked to do a zaffa for an Egyptian wedding soon. This spiked my curiosity as I am still unfamiliar with zaffa (besides watching videofootage of other dancers) I would like to know what the customs are for this kind of thing. So a few questions to start with here:

First of all, what do you wear for a zaffa? I was scouring the forum earlier tonight for info and read that some use a thobe or galabeya for zaffa instead of bedlah, others wear bedlah. What is the right outfit for such a dance?
Is there a specific way to dance zaffa (movement for instance), specific music (other than using the particular rhythm for zaffa) and is it custom to perform shamadan, or can zaffa be danced without shamadan?

Any other info is welcome too, I'm wanting to get to the bottom of this :lol:.
Thanks!!

PracticalDancer

Caveat: I am not an expert.

That said, the one time I have seen it and the few times I have heard it discussed, a shamadan is in order. And, with the shamadan comes a beledi dress and slow, relaxed moves. (Hey, it's hard to dance with a shamadan on your head. Even if said shamadan is a birthday cake! :lol:)

Regards,

Anala

gisela

Super Moderator
There is something on Bhuz about this. I saw it today. Could be worth to take a look. Someone said that it happens that the couple want a zeffa but not with shamadan because it was old-fashioned. Doesn't have to mean that this is the general opinion though.

Gia al Qamar

Every zaffa that I've done I've balanced shamedan, but you can also lead the procession balancing a tray of candles or even just playing zills (you MUST play the zaffa rhythm on zills!)
Beledi or high end saidi dress are very appropriate...you'll circle the dance floor after leading the newly married couple into their reception...it's a joyous time!!!

Ranya

Yes I second Gisela. although shamadan and a nice (usually sparkly) beledi dress are the most common "attire", it aaaaall depends nowadays on what the couple/wedding planner want.
While dancing with the Reda Yassin troupe in Egypt, I saw more traditionnal zaffas with dress and shamadan but also some with a dancer in a beaded bedla. I did not see zills used at all (this is however a modern trend in Egypt nowadays... dancers rarely play zills anymore).
However for the bigger weddings the zaffa was always made with "background dancers", dancers from smaller folkloric troupes (and they were always at least FOUR.. and then they were usually in beledi dresses...with or without shamadan) and never the main dancer (such as Dina or Leyla).
In smaller (cheaper) weddings I did not see a zaffa (though I am sure that there must be also smaller weddings with a zaffa!!! I just did not have the luck to see one, I suppose). When I danced, I usually came somwhere in the middle of the celebration (at around 9 -10 pm) and did the "dance for the guests / with the mothers of the couple" thing.
I stayed too short a time in Egypt to be able to reeeeaaaallyyyy describe all of the "dance customs" in weddings but really a lot depends on what the couple want.
For instance at one other wedding where dina danced also (yaaaay), one troupe provided the zaffa with six dancers in beledi dresses and shamadan and six boys dressed in saidi galabeyas with canes, my troupe then did a dabke-gig (which is NOT that traditional in Egypt and the couple - both Egyptian, none of them Lebanese or Syrian or such - just wanted something "funky") and THEN came Dina as the main gig.

Sorry for the super long post Yshka but I hope this gave you a little more insight!
Would love other people to tell us about their experience/knowledge!!!

Caroline_afifi

Thanks for the info Ranya.

I have seen very few dancers in Zaffa'a to be honest (in Cairo) although there are no doubt many.

Most Zeffa's I have seen (including my own) just had musicians who sang and played. We walked and then stopped for a while, then again, and it lasted almost one hour.

I have took part in Zeffa's in the UK and like you said, modest dress is the best way to go and shamadan usually goes down a treat.

Yshka

Dear ladies thank you so much for your info. I've been looking at youtube for zaffa and have watched many things, but all of them different. Even one with just male saididancers as Caroline describes.

Dear Ranya, don't worry, your super-long post was lovely and very helpful!!

Dear Caroline and Gia, I love your descriptions! But then I have more questions:
How long does a zaffa usually last? Is an hour the usual time for a zaffa to take place or does the time differ?
And most importantly, if you are the bellydancer leading the zaffa progression, how long do you often dance and when is the time to leave the floor?

Please don't mind any weird questions lol.;)

Gia al Qamar

Dear Caroline and Gia, I love your descriptions! But then I have more questions:
How long does a zaffa usually last? Is an hour the usual time for a zaffa to take place or does the time differ?

It totally differs from couple to couple...traditional zaffas can last a hour, I've also done quickie processionals that lasted about 5 minutes! Some are marriages between someone from another culture and the other Middle Eastern and so they just 'want to give a taste' of the culture, so the processional is shorter...mine average around 10-15 mins, the shortest 5 mins, the longest about 30 (all were in the USA).

And most importantly, if you are the bellydancer leading the zaffa progression, how long do you often dance and when is the time to leave the floor?

I work out the 'route' with the bridal planner or the bride...we begin the procession at the ceremony site and walk to the reception, or, if in a catering hall, from the bridal suite to the dance floor...I usually circle the dance floor (with the newly weds and their bridal party following behind) and often do this twice or three times so the guests can cheer them all. I either lead them to the dais and the continue dancing, or leave and return to do a full show during the reception.

Please don't mind any weird questions lol.;)

Nothing weird here! Hope this was helpful!

Caroline_afifi

Hi again,

Like Gia says, it differs from wedding to wedding.

In Egypt, the Zeffa can last up to an hour or more in some cases but in the Uk it tends to be more of a prossession to lead the bride and groom to their reception.

The dancers tend not to give a show as such but add colour to the ceremony.

Sometimes the whole wedding party join in and sometimes they just walk behind the prossession.

It is always good to check with the organisers to find out who is involved and exactly what they want from it.

lizaj

The upcoming NADA mag features an item by Yasmina of Cairo on "wedding dancers"

commercial over..;)

Yshka

Dear Gia and Caroline, your insights are most welcome!! It's fascinating to me how this can differ so much from one wedding to another and how.

I suspect leading the married couple into their reception and around the dance floor will be what my friend is going to be doing next week. The rest of our troupe will give a show the same night during the reception. I guess there will be some time in between. Still many things I wouldn't have thought of when thinking of/looking at zaffa being performed by a dancer. I've never done one myself (yet);).

Thank you so much for your help ladies. And Liza dear don't worry, your 'commercial break' was much appreciated!:lol: Does NADA have an online source or is it only available in UK? I'm not familiar with the magazine.

lizaj

Dear Gia and Caroline, your insights are most welcome!! It's fascinating to me how this can differ so much from one wedding to another and how.

I suspect leading the married couple into their reception and around the dance floor will be what my friend is going to be doing next week. The rest of our troupe will give a show the same night during the reception. I guess there will be some time in between. Still many things I wouldn't have thought of when thinking of/looking at zaffa being performed by a dancer. I've never done one myself (yet);).

Thank you so much for your help ladies. And Liza dear don't worry, your 'commercial break' was much appreciated!:lol: Does NADA have an online source or is it only available in UK? I'm not familiar with the magazine.
Welcome to NADA - Northern Arabic Dance Association

members get a "paper" magazines 3 times a year. We have some overseas members. Every so often we sell surplus mags on eBay.

mariouk

Hi everyone,

my friend was asked to do a zaffa for an Egyptian wedding soon. This spiked my curiosity as I am still unfamiliar with zaffa (besides watching videofootage of other dancers) I would like to know what the customs are for this kind of thing. So a few questions to start with here:

First of all, what do you wear for a zaffa? I was scouring the forum earlier tonight for info and read that some use a thobe or galabeya for zaffa instead of bedlah, others wear bedlah. What is the right outfit for such a dance?
Is there a specific way to dance zaffa (movement for instance), specific music (other than using the particular rhythm for zaffa) and is it custom to perform shamadan, or can zaffa be danced without shamadan?

Any other info is welcome too, I'm wanting to get to the bottom of this :lol:.
Thanks!!

yes go to ZAFFA Entertainment : Arabic Zaffa, Egyptian Zaffa, Lebanese Zaffa, Palestinian Zaffa, Serian Zaffa, Arabic DJ. We have services from Limo, Videography, Photography, Belly Dancers to Chocolate Fountain creation

Yasmina

Yshka, what a good question on a good moment, since I have to do two zaffas this weekend for Egyptian weddings and just like you, I had been YouTube-ing it but ended up having the same questions as you. Thanks!!! ;)