Thread: No more apathy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default No more apathy!

Hi there!

I started belly dance when I was about 14, as I have a family member who is an instructor it it, and when I stayed with her for a summer she forced me to attend the classes she taught. I'll say that then, I hated it. I didn't like moving my body that way. It felt very uncomfortable for my 14 year old self. Nonetheless, I didn't want to offend my her so I learned a few things and pretended to be impressed and enjoy the dance. I don't know what changed, but I forgot about that summer for quite a few years, and just recently I noticed that most of my grad school applications require some sort of "community class" experience... so I started looking through classes I could take through the arts and culture center. There are quite a variety, but the belly dancing class struck me! I figured, "what the heck" and signed up for it. It was a very impulsive decision that truly shocked myself, but once I had signed up for it, I was going to stick it through.

And there at my very first, dreaded class session ended my apathetic stance toward this beautiful dance. Now I'm loving it so much that I am practicing it daily, listening to eastern music, and have signed up to take the class offered on campus next semester. I feel now like my body is meant to move in the way that this dance takes you... it is so different from the other forms of dance that I have been involved in. The first day the instructor said, it will not look the same or feel the same for any person, but that is the beauty of it, you can dance as an individual.

As for joining the forum, well, I have quite a few friends who range from mildly to severely against my new found enjoyment of this dance, and I have begun to feel quite defensive about it! At first I simply avoided the subject, but I decided that I should not leave it at that, and should challenge their opinions. I began researching history and culture behind it all to quell their worries, and stumbled upon this place which is abounding with wonderful information. Thank you in advance for everything!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, it is wonderful to hear your story and i am sure you will find lots of "addicted" friends here.

Eventually you can show your friends who are not so enthused about bellydance just how beautiful it is. Just keep on dancing & you have found a home here where you are more than welcome to share your thoughts.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you!

Post Thanks / Like

So good to hear your story, and great that you've found your bliss. Plenty of us here have too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and thanks for your story. I'm a grandmother of 9 and when my family found out I was taking belly dancing, I got a lot of grief. "What at your age?!!" LOL! Don't worry about what other's think. If it feels right, it is right. It's a great dance and I'm glad you've found your place in it.