Uncivial Conduct

Salome

Administrator
Due to the latest chaotic and negative thread… I wanted to point out that posting is a privilege, not a right. In order to maintain that privilege, we all need to conduct ourselves with civility - especially in instances in which we strongly disagree with others.

Over the years of this forum, (I feel) we administrators have been fairly loose in terms of behavior. Pretty much setting the stage that people are able and WILL handle themselves in discussion with civility. The reality is that this is do-able for some but not all. For those that struggle with civility here please read further.

My desire for the forum is to maintain a platform where the community speaks diversely and freely - with civility. Toward that end we have a series of rules to uphold this principle. They are posted and sticky in “chat about this website”.

There is an infraction for “uncivil conduct” and I’ve instructed the moderators to use it at the very first sign of disparaging, hurtful, malicious, sneering, or spiteful remarks about the CHARACTER of another. If you get enough uncivil conduct infractions it results in an automatic ban.

Since we have been trusting and relaxed about this in the past, I thought it worth mentioning that we are not going to be so relaxed about it anymore.

Do not harangue the moderators if you are infracted, they are doing what I have instructed them to do. If you feel you have been infracted unfairly, you are welcome to contact me or Gisela to talk about it.

adiemus

Thank you for this Salome. I have to say I haven't seen/read any of the negative threads especially recently, so generally the relaxed policy certainly seems to work, but I am glad to see that you support firm, fair and fast response!

Anthea Kawakib

that sounds good to me, I'm all for making people behave -
I must say I'm surprised though because there's not a ton of people on here judging from the numbers viewing/reading etc.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
that sounds good to me, I'm all for making people behave -
I must say I'm surprised though because there's not a ton of people on here judging from the numbers viewing/reading etc.

We all live in different parts of the world, so some members may be online, others may be at work and others sleeping. many don't always log in but may read posts without logging in and log in if they wish to post, If you spend a few hours watching the comings and goings of the form you will see a lot of constant activity over several hours. There are around 4000 + registered members, not all are active, but a good many are with new members joining regularly. So as the forum has become more active it has been found that rules do need to be upgraded:D
~Mosaic

Caroline_afifi

I agree with everything Mosaic said, never under estimate the amount of people accessing these boards.

Also, you dont actually need tons of people to create mayham...

Juts a few with some serious issues which need dealing with..professionally ;)