Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chest shimmy vs shoulder shimmy

What is the difference? I was ridiculed by a fellow dancer for not knowing what a chest shimmy is. I have been taught a shoulder shimmy but have never heard of a chest shimmy.

Chani

Post Thanks / Like

I'd think it would look more like a boob shimmy/bust shimmy, used in Nubian dance more than Egyptian...

Post Thanks / Like

My Egyptian teacher told us to shake only our breasts when he was teaching us a few months ago - it's not vigorous boob shaking though. It's a softer and more subtle shimmy than using just the shoulders. I mean, you're not just shaking your breasts - your shoulders are moving along with you but it's not just the shoulders you're shimmy-ing. Using just one's shoulders is more of a western belly dance development I think, probably derived from jazz and latin dances.
    Last edited by maria_harlequin; 11-09-2009 at 09:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The chest tends to rise and fall with a chest shimmy and it is subtle. The shoulders do move but is not as accented. I think the chest shimmy looks cute and nice on smaller breasted woman, personally. Sometimes with the more endowed it can be a bit too much, but if kept subtle it is OK. Being on the well endowed end of the scale I keep the shimmy small with the rising and falling chest movement. I also tend to shimmy slightly off centre so it is not the full on in your face kind of shimmy.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

.and no one should ridicule another dancer for not understanding a point of technique however important or basic..why not just be grateful for her superior knowledge and do her the favour of passing on that knowledge..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    The chest tends to rise and fall with a chest shimmy and it is subtle. The shoulders do move but is not as accented.
    I was thaught that with a chest shimmy the shoulders should stay still. It is possible with a very subtle chest shimmy.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, this might be an odd request but I'm a very visual person and I'm having trouble picturing this. Any chance there's a video somewhere demonstrating the difference or at least a chest shimmy? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nath View Post
    Ok, this might be an odd request but I'm a very visual person and I'm having trouble picturing this. Any chance there's a video somewhere demonstrating the difference or at least a chest shimmy? Thanks.
    I'm not sure if "chest shimmy" is the same as "rib cage shimmy", but anyway it is different from the shoulder shimmy.

Rib Cage Shimmy Belly Dance Move: Belly Dance Chest Movements | eHow.com

Shoulder Shimmy Belly Dance Move: Belly Dance Chest Movements | eHow.com

Another variety is one where you use the pectoralis major to create movement of the chest while you keep your shoulder at the same place, but this one is completely different to the above mentioned. Unfortunately I have no video of this one.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    I'm not sure if "chest shimmy" is the same as "rib cage shimmy", but anyway it is different from the shoulder shimmy.

Rib Cage Shimmy Belly Dance Move: Belly Dance Chest Movements | eHow.com

Shoulder Shimmy Belly Dance Move: Belly Dance Chest Movements | eHow.com

Another variety is one where you use the pectoralis major to create movement of the chest while you keep your shoulder at the same place, but this one is completely different to the above mentioned. Unfortunately I have no video of this one.
    The difference is subtle but I see it. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adiemus View Post
    I'd think it would look more like a boob shimmy/bust shimmy, used in Nubian dance more than Egyptian...
    I agree that to me, the term "chest shimmy" implies a bust shimmy. But remember that Nubians are Egyptians too - I think maybe you intended to say the bust shimmy is more Nubian than Oriental. Though I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement.

However, Fifi Abdo, who is undeniably Oriental style, uses bust shimmies.

I usually think of bust shimmies as being associated with baladi / shaabi styles of dancing.
    Last edited by shiradotnet; 11-09-2009 at 10:22 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast