Chest shimmy vs shoulder shimmy

Chani

What is the difference? I was ridiculed by a fellow dancer for not knowing what a chest shimmy is. I have been taught a shoulder shimmy but have never heard of a chest shimmy.

Chani

adiemus

I'd think it would look more like a boob shimmy/bust shimmy, used in Nubian dance more than Egyptian...

maria_harlequin

My Egyptian teacher told us to shake only our breasts when he was teaching us a few months ago - it's not vigorous boob shaking though. It's a softer and more subtle shimmy than using just the shoulders. I mean, you're not just shaking your breasts - your shoulders are moving along with you but it's not just the shoulders you're shimmy-ing. Using just one's shoulders is more of a western belly dance development I think, probably derived from jazz and latin dances.

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
The chest tends to rise and fall with a chest shimmy and it is subtle. The shoulders do move but is not as accented. I think the chest shimmy looks cute and nice on smaller breasted woman, personally. Sometimes with the more endowed it can be a bit too much, but if kept subtle it is OK. Being on the well endowed end of the scale I keep the shimmy small with the rising and falling chest movement. I also tend to shimmy slightly off centre so it is not the full on in your face kind of shimmy.
~Mosaic

lizaj

.and no one should ridicule another dancer for not understanding a point of technique however important or basic..why not just be grateful for her superior knowledge and do her the favour of passing on that knowledge..:(

Amulya

The chest tends to rise and fall with a chest shimmy and it is subtle. The shoulders do move but is not as accented.

I was thaught that with a chest shimmy the shoulders should stay still. It is possible with a very subtle chest shimmy.

Nath

Ok, this might be an odd request but I'm a very visual person and I'm having trouble picturing this. Any chance there's a video somewhere demonstrating the difference or at least a chest shimmy? Thanks. :)

Daimona

Ok, this might be an odd request but I'm a very visual person and I'm having trouble picturing this. Any chance there's a video somewhere demonstrating the difference or at least a chest shimmy? Thanks. :)

I'm not sure if "chest shimmy" is the same as "rib cage shimmy", but anyway it is different from the shoulder shimmy.

Rib Cage Shimmy Belly Dance Move: Belly Dance Chest Movements | eHow.com

Shoulder Shimmy Belly Dance Move: Belly Dance Chest Movements | eHow.com

Another variety is one where you use the pectoralis major to create movement of the chest while you keep your shoulder at the same place, but this one is completely different to the above mentioned. Unfortunately I have no video of this one.

Nath

I'm not sure if "chest shimmy" is the same as "rib cage shimmy", but anyway it is different from the shoulder shimmy.

Rib Cage Shimmy Belly Dance Move: Belly Dance Chest Movements | eHow.com

Shoulder Shimmy Belly Dance Move: Belly Dance Chest Movements | eHow.com

Another variety is one where you use the pectoralis major to create movement of the chest while you keep your shoulder at the same place, but this one is completely different to the above mentioned. Unfortunately I have no video of this one.

The difference is subtle but I see it. Thanks!

shiradotnet

I'd think it would look more like a boob shimmy/bust shimmy, used in Nubian dance more than Egyptian...

I agree that to me, the term "chest shimmy" implies a bust shimmy. But remember that Nubians are Egyptians too - I think maybe you intended to say the bust shimmy is more Nubian than Oriental. Though I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement.

However, Fifi Abdo, who is undeniably Oriental style, uses bust shimmies.

I usually think of bust shimmies as being associated with baladi / shaabi styles of dancing.

Last edited:

Oona

It is my understanding that a shoulder shimmy is generated by moving the shoulders forward and backward rapidly (although can be done slower). Of course, one shoulder is going forward while the other is going backward. This can have the effect of chest vibration, but is usually very subtle.

It is also my understanding that a chest shimmy is generated from your chest and back muscles moving your left and right chest forward and backward rapidly around a central axis that you imagine runs down the centre of your body. This one has the effect of a more relaxed shake of the breasts and is best used sparingly. ;)

I saw the difference most clear in a recent workshop and performance by Camelia.

Kashmir

What is the difference? I was ridiculed by a fellow dancer for not knowing what a chest shimmy is. I have been taught a shoulder shimmy but have never heard of a chest shimmy.
I'd say what most people call a "shoulder shimmy" is actually a chest or torso shimmy - that is it generated by twisting the torso - not by articulating the shoulders.

For me:
"Shoulder shimmy" - shoulders move horizontally forward and back (as the left one goes forward, the right one goes back) - with minimal twisting of the torso.

"Torso shimmy" (aka chest or boob shimmy) - the forward and back motion is generated by twisting the upper back. There are numerous variations depending on where the twist is - that is high or low.

HananSamar

hi,
reyhan from frankfurt once told me that the chest shimmy is a slow ( compared to the average shimmy ) and very subtle twist of the sternum. the feeling for this movement is in the sternum.
the shoulders move in a passive way.

kind regards
hanan

Chani

Thank you for all the replies.

I can see and feel the difference now and the various descriptions and links helped me.

Thanks for the recommendation re a larger bust which I definitely have. No need to draw extra attention there.

Yeah, it was mean of my dancing sister to be like that - I suspect the stress of an upcoming performance was taking it's toll on her and she was getting snappy.

Chani

adiemus

ooops! Sorry maybe I misunderstood that one Kashmir! And thanks Shira, I agree Nubian is Egyptian - I did mean 'Oriental', although it's arguable!

HananSamar

hi,
it doesn't depend on the breast size !
i'm also wearing a d cup and for me the slow and subtle chest shimmy is better than the shoulder shimmy. if it is really small and a movement of a special feeling, than it is more controlled than a shoulder shimmy !
your boobs don't shake around, the move just from left to right in a very controlled and moderate way !
that is also a big differenz to the shoulder shimmy- here they shake and draw more attention on !

regards hanan

Ariadne

hi,
i'm also wearing a d cup and for me the slow and subtle chest shimmy is better than the shoulder shimmy. if it is really small and a movement of a special feeling, than it is more controlled than a shoulder shimmy !
your boobs don't shake around, the move just from left to right in a very controlled and moderate way !
that is also a big differenz to the shoulder shimmy- here they shake and draw more attention on !

regards hanan
hmmmm.... originating it from the chest does give a very subtle effect. However the instruction video I saw that taught chest shimmies had you start with a vigorous shoulder shimmy and then move it down into the chest. It was neither slow nor subtle. In fact the instructor said to be careful using it because it was so very intense and could easily be over the top. With the shimmy as she demonstrated it the size of your bust would very much effect the results.

Last edited:

Kashmir

hi,
This would suggest what you call and shoulder shimmy and what I do is completely different. With my shoulder shimmy there is less breast movement as the movement is above the breasts - just in the shoulders. Any breast movement is due to tissue connection - not movement through space.

Once you start twisting your back - whether high or low - you get the breasts moving through space themselves and then their size will also impact.

Both versions are valid. Each is used in different styles or moods. The chest shimmy is more beledi and also used in comedy. The shoulder shimmy is more (Egyptian) Orientale.

PS some Nubians are Egyptian - some are Sudanese. Most Egyptians are not Nubian.