Your first solo

miss_shimmy

hi again

oh yes,i am exited.
just i never danced in public,and now i am doing a solo..diving all the way in as always...lol.

:)

amanda
xxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

Babylonia

My first performance was the day before Mother's Day (May13). My teacher, some women from class and I went to perform at a nursing home. We were supposed to perform for my teacher's elderly friend in October but we had Hurricane Wilma and had to postpone. Unfortunately her friend passed away before we were able to go there so we dedicated the performance to her memory. It was so rewarding to put a smile on the elderly audience members' faces. Some of them were in beds and wheelchairs. We even inspired a couple of the women to stand up and dance a little.:) We just freestyled it to the music because we knew it but I'm going to choreograph my self a couple of songs now, a veil piece and a drum solo.

Zahiraah

I've been bellydancing for about a year and a half now and have my first performance as part of a group in a couple of weeks.
But still I'm sort of itching to choreograph something for myself and choose the music and costume. It's interesting to hear how long others have been dancing, because I never know if I'm being unrealistically overambitious or really underconfident!:confused:

Aniseteph xx

Hmm...this made me think a bit. I get the impression that your teacher wants to take things very slow, or maybe she thinks that this group isn't ready yet. And no, you're definitely overambitious; I have been dancing since February last year and have performed several times(many if you count my small performances). But of course, most of the other students in my group haven't performed yet and some have done it max 2 times...so I guess I'm overambitious ^_^. Maybe you should tell your teacher that you think you're ready for a solo?

But it seems that your teacher like to take things slow... the improvisation part is something we have done for a long time; the most of our time is used for improvisation. But then, maybe we are stressing things. But, oh, I forgot....hehe, my class has danced for two years, I switched group. So, maybe, things are as they should be.. :p . But again, if you feel that you are ready, tell her!

Aniseteph

I think it's just lack of opportunities locally and the way the classes have been - I don't think it's that our teacher is especially overcautious! There isn't a huge local bellydance community as the classes only started here at beginner level when I did. It must be easier to have small scale haflas to have a go at if you already have a mix of dancers, rather than a bunch of absolute beginners!

Anyway, we move venues in the autumn, so I shall be off to the big city by the sea (Brighton and Hove) and it might all kick off a bit more.

I shall take everyone's thoughts on board and maybe throw myself in at the deep end next time a local event has an open stage... thank you! (what no green nauseous nervous looking smiley?!) This more positive one will have to do :)

miss_shimmy

yey

I shall take everyone's thoughts on board and maybe throw myself in at the deep end next time a local event has an open stage... thank you!

i think thats a great idea.

hugs

amanda
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Angelofdance

My first solo was a couple of months ago. After years and years of dancing, and performing with groups in front of hundreds I finally decided to dance by myself.

Picking the music was the hardest thing. I don't have a large collection, it's hard to find music online, I'm poor...etcetc. So I headed over to my instructor's place to listen to her music. I decided after a while that it was be a some what moody, emotional song, with a few few tempo changes. I think my teacher was nervous because she said it was hard to dancers to do an emotional song...

So I was all dressed up, and ready to go at Hezz Ya Wezz that was being held at a local restaurant. A collection of local dancers were going to perform, including me! And I was the second dancer!!!! Ah! I started getting nervous, but I told myself it would go FINE!

Well. The music started playing, and my mind blurred the fact that people were standing watching me, staring at my every move. My body embraced the music, and wowed the audience : ) My teacher was so proud and whispered "Thank you for dancing to the music". I heard so many praise, and was one of the best dances of the night.

This realy made me want to perform a solo again, and hopefully while I'm in the Netherlands I will get that chance. Yay!

Iris/aod

miss_shimmy

thankx

wow angel,thankyou so much for sharing.
Well. The music started playing, and my mind blurred the fact that people were standing watching me, staring at my every move. My body embraced the music, and wowed the audience : ) My teacher was so proud and whispered "Thank you for dancing to the music". I heard so many praise, and was one of the best dances of the night.

I qwill remember this when i do my solo,:)

and well done,i bet you were amazing

hugs

amanda
xxxxxxxx

Jessenia

My body embraced the music, and wowed the audience : ) My teacher was so proud and whispered "Thank you for dancing to the music".

Iris/aod

I'm so happy you could do it that well and with that incredible courage. Your words touched me! So inspiring your words.
I haven't done my first solo yet, i'd like to do one but I believe that there is time for everything and we shall not speed up and do things when we are not prepared. For the time being I'm practicing and lerning! In a few time I hope I'll be telling you my experience :p

Jessenia

Thankss miss_shimmy.. it's a pleasure to hear from other bellydancers that they like the web page.. it's a bit outdated, is missing the photos of this year.
I designed that web page!!And if you like you can take a look at other web page I design which is for my teacher Shala . http://www.shala.com.ar
There are also amazing photos. She is the one who introduced me to this beatiful dancing!!

Safran

It is so nice to read all your stories on the first solo. I did mine when I had about one year of troupe performance experience. The setting was rather comfortable - it was on a concert in one of the dance camps. So, the audience wasn't that big and I had my fellow dancers sitting at the "stage" behind me, so every time I did a turn, I found encouraging looks.

Of course, I was nervous. I w so sure I'd mess up the choreography, step on my skirt, an asteroid would hit etc :D But it went just nicely... When the music started, then dancing itself took all my attention, so I didn't have the time to be nervous... And after it was over, it left such a great feeling.

Well, back then I didn't know that the wonderful thing about solos is that when something goes wrong, in most of the cases improvisation does the trick ;) And, I stronlgy believe that a little nervousness only contributes to a great performance.