Priceless look from Nagua Fuad

Maria_Aya

Hey there babes

A gem video, only to see Nagua Fuad's look at the competition dancer.
I guess she remember Samia Gamal dancing to Azziza and cant keep her laughts at the end lol
Kind of old video, and pls someone confirm is Setrak the man that watch also?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmvdgKgqFAc

Enjoy :p

Last edited:

taheya

That is so funny!! thanks for posting maria, one of the comments said that this girl was the competition winner. Im not a fan of her dancing she seems to have her feet too wide apart!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

OH MY GOSH!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is HYSTERICAL!!!!!!!

Oh man, the LOOKS on Nagwa's face are priceless, you're right. And Setrak looks alternately amused and horrified. (And if that's NOT Setrak, he's a clone.)

Personally, I'm underwhelmed by this dancer. I can only imagine how Nagwa felt. She looks almost insulted at times. I suppose that's only appropriate.

Moon

LOL! That was so funny! Thanks for posting this Maria.
I guess that dancer could be good, but I don't really like her style (and those ugly heels make her look more ungraceful :p) However, brave of her to continue dancing with a smile on her face. If people looked like that at me during performing, I would flee off the stage :D

Aisha Azar

Clip, etc.

Dear Group,
Be honest now.... have you not seen a hundred supposedly "professional" dancers in the U.S. that looked even worse?? I know I have.
Regards,
A'isha

Tarik Sultan

Dear Group,
Be honest now.... have you not seen a hundred supposedly "professional" dancers in the U.S. that looked even worse?? I know I have.
Regards,
A'isha

Don't go there! Oh I forgot, you're A'isha, which is neolithic Chaldean for, I'm going there!

.......yes and then some. Acturally she's not that skilled and beats the music to death, but I've seen much, much worse both on these shore and in the Middle East.

Gia al Qamar

Dear Group,
Regards,
A'isha

Being a 'bad' dancer should CERTAINLY not to be attributed to any one country. Bad dancers, bad people and bad clothing can be found anywhere...meanwhile...that clip was HYSTERICAL!!!
Gia

Freya

Seeing this clip reminded me of a recording of a master class with Maria Callas (the opera singer). She said something like "it is not about FIREWORKS but EMOTION." Clearly this dancer is all fiery pops, and no feel. Her athleticism might impress elsewhere but the lack of true feeling is all too apparent to her discriminative audience... No wonder they are bored.

Freya

Viv

I needed that tonight. The facial expressions of those watching were priceless!! :D I've been having one of those times when I feel like I have no clue what I'm doing and why don't I just give up because I'll never get "it". Then I see a clip like that and it puts it all in perspective, that perhaps I do know my stuff.

Ah C'mon cut the girl some slack! ;) Wouldn't you be nervous if you had to dance in front of Nagwa and Sertrak? Umm doesn't anybody dance to slow songs anymore?
Yasmine

Aisha Azar

Clip

Don't go there! Oh I forgot, you're A'isha, which is neolithic Chaldean for, I'm going there!

.......yes and then some. Acturally she's not that skilled and beats the music to death, but I've seen much, much worse both on these shore and in the Middle East.

Dear Tarik,
Yeah,.... me and the Starship Enterprise...... always going where no one has gone before. One time Jeanette Cool (Georges Lammam's wife and a great dancer in her own right) and I were out for a drink with her younger sister. I was explaining to her that it would be so much easeir to just shut up, but that neither Jeanette nor I am capable of letting it slide. The sister is just pretty much the politically correct woman, and she is appalled by both J. C. and I and our propensity for "going there". I think neither of us got the "let it be" gene!! ( Not sure you or Morocco did either, Honey!!)
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

Ah C'mon cut the girl some slack! ;) Wouldn't you be nervous if you had to dance in front of Nagwa and Sertrak? Umm doesn't anybody dance to slow songs anymore?
Yasmine

I'd never have the nerve to so much as stand up in the same room with either of them, and if my audience looked at me like that, I'd shimmy my way right out the door and keep on going. I think she gets points for either sheer guts or total oblivion, I'm not sure which.

I've wondered about the slow song thing myself.

Kiadorin

I don't understand. If everyone was giving her "The Look" and she still won, who was judging the competition?

MirahAmmal

Well...Naima Akef she ain't, that's for sure. I think my favorite part was the end where she whipped her head/hair around and almost knocked herself over.

Forget slow songs--how about not rushing the moderate tempo one you are dancing to? (Which...actually, you see a lot.) But yes, Nagua's facial expression was priceless. She was more polite, though, than Setrak. It looked like she at least tried to monitor her facial expression somewhat and not look thoroughly, thoroughly horrified. He, on the other hand, was rolling his eyes and fidgeting.;-)

Yep...it's terribly nerve wracking to be in front of big superstars, and maybe that was part of this girl's problem, but I think there's more going on than that. And yeah...I have to wonder how the others danced if this is the onewho won.

Suhad

I never, never, ever want "that face" directed at me. That is possibly my worst nightmare.

Funny that a couple of you should mention slow songs as it seems that many of the 'must haves' from another thread are either quite moderate in tempo or downright slow. It's been a nice change to be able to just relax into the melody.

Ludmilla

Hi! Could someone please explain who are Nagwa (obviously a famous dancer) though and Setrak? (I gather he is the first man the clip stops on his facial expression for a while? But who is he? A musician...? In that case, who is te other guy?) Also those three other ladies looking on -- probably other contestants....really funny.
That's when you realize I guess, if dancing for another generation of greats, how homogenized many things are these days. (the dancer racing through the motions, face quite blank, & as you've said -- Tempo, tempo!! Very educational!! (But if someone could give a bit of background on Nagwa and Setrak would be nice to know) -- Also is this clip from Egyptian TV? Sorry if I should know all this!! Thanks -- Ludy

Gabi

If you can't be polite don't sit there - don't participate, just leave or better yet refuse to come in the first place.

For all we know this could have been a competition for beginners - it doesn't make it clear at all.

So the girl was bad - who organized and judged this competition?

I thought the looks given were flat out nasty and arrogant - if they had something to say they could have said it another way - that was just wimpy while being catty.

Maria_Aya

Dear Ludmila:)
Nagua Fouad is one of the greatest dancers of 70's 80's. Actress also as most of the famous dancers of that era and before. She was considered to be the arabian answer to Brigit Bartot and Sofia Loren (to get her style)
A small bio for her you can read here:
http://www.belly-dance.org/nagua-fouad.html

Some like her style some doesnt but she was was a star (in general i prefer others but she have a live baladi introducing the instruments that make me cry always)

Setrak is one of the most famous arab tabla players, for sure you have heard solo's by him, and he worked with the most famous dancers in their pick time. So he can judge a bellydance contest also.

Maria Aya:)

Last edited:

Shanazel

I wish Nagua had stood up at some point so I could see the rest of the dress she was wearing. The bodice and shoulders were stunning.