Another newby

justonemorebill

Do get looked at little strangely when I mention middle eastern dance as an interest. But believe men have danced for thousands of years around the fire to both celebrate the day and keep out the night.

Only relatively recently has it become 'uncool' for a man to express himself in dance. But think the ones who complain the most are ones silently tapping their feet under the table wishing the had the courage to get on the floor.

Believe men's and women's styles are slightly different, but think each person takes what they learn and uses it to create their own style.

Difficulties (defined by time, distance and money) are finding resources to learn. Best I can do at moment is with lady teachers and to watch the youtube clips and try to 'reverse engineer' the movements.

And not really trying to be a 'great' dancer. Just to be the best one that I can be.

Have Fun :)

Bill

Shanazel

Welcome, Bill. I'm happy to say we have a number of male devotees on OD, and another one just adds to the richness of the mix.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum Bill, As Shanazel said there are a number of male dancers who are members and will help you with any questions.
~Mosaic

Sita

:) Welcome I hope you enjoy all this board has to offer we are very lucky to have so many wonderful and knowledgable dancers posting here of both genders: so it is likely that there will always be someone able to answer your questions :)

Sita

P.S In terms of resources a number of our male dancers have their own websites like Zorba and Tarik which may be worth checking out if you haven't already.

justonemorebill

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Just looking through think I'm going to be a while just going through the current threads.

Have Fun :)