Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Suhaila being Anti-Aesthetics these days with her choreography?

On technique and belly dance...is it just me or is Suhaila being Anti-Aesthetics these days with her choreography? I LOVE her as a teacher and I drill her techniques to death but a lot of the videos of the choreographies I've been seeing lately have been nothing BUT pure technique...and it looks like she's steering away from any movements that look "pretty". This is really an example that I think has way too much technique and it's not very enjoyable to watch. The music's also incredibly boring and the costumes look like classroom attire...is there some sort of statement she's trying to make? Or is it their intention to showcase ONLY technique? I like her older choreographies more:

Last edited by Sita; 11-15-2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: to fit new thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maria_harlequin View Post
    -cut//

And more on technique and belly dance...is it just me or is Suhaila being Anti-Aesthetics these days with her choreography? I LOVE her as a teacher and I drill her techniques to death but a lot of the videos of the choreographies I've been seeing lately have been nothing BUT pure technique...and it looks like she's steering away from any movements that look "pretty". This is really an example that I think has way too much technique and it's not very enjoyable to watch. The music's also incredibly boring and the costumes look like classroom attire...is there some sort of statement she's trying to make? Or is it their intention to showcase ONLY technique? I like her older choreographies more:

Maria that question about Suhalia and anti-aesthetics actually deserves a thread of it's own - so If you want I'm happy to transfer it to it's own thread, although here is also good as it follows the conversation well - I'll leave it up to you.

Sita

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sita View Post
    Maria that question about Suhalia and anti-aesthetics actually deserves a thread of it's own - so If you want I'm happy to transfer it to it's own thread, although here is also good as it follows the conversation well - I'll leave it up to you.

Sita
    Yes plz!! It's actually something I wanted to discuss for awhile

Post Thanks / Like

Yes plz!! It's actually something I wanted to discuss for awhile
    Done. Hopefully to everyone's satisfaction - if anyone wants the thread adjusted - posts or threads moved, change of title just pm me - okay?

Sita

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't really enjoy that clip, either, but then I'm not usually a fan of group choreography. In this case, it looked uninspired and downright mechanical.

Perhaps it's just a matter of her trying to do something different after decades of teaching and performing.

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE her as a teacher and I drill her techniques to death
    I've heard that a lot but once I got my hands on one of her instruction video's I lost all interest, there was just to much Jazz and Hip Hop technique in it.
    Last edited by Ariadne; 11-16-2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: because I am oblivious sometimes... <.<

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused. We are using this as an example of Suhaila choreography...but it's not Suhaila Dance Company or choreography. Can you clarify why we are using this as an example?

The description says "performing to "Arabian Gold" by Suhaila Salimpour"

Note the "TO" in there. They are performing to a Suhaila song, not performing a choreography of hers. We should perhaps compare apples to apples and find a Suhaila choreography to show as an example.

That said, this is obviously VERY in the Suhaila style, to my eyes. If we want to discuss it as a Suhaula-inspired style, I think that would be appropriate.
    Last edited by TribalDancer; 11-15-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Umm, original post isn't Suhaila Dance Company....

I agree with Tribal Dancer - I don't understand why the video clip in the original post is used as an example of Suhaila's choreography. The video is labeled as being a dancer named Angelique and her dance company, which I'm assuming is her intermediate students. It appears they're using a song from one of Suhaila's CD's. While admittedly some of the choreography looks like it uses Suhaila's drills as its foundation, this certainly isn't Suhaila Dance Company doing choreography by Suhaila.

What I see in the original clip is a teacher with her intermediate students. Judging from how repetitive the choreography is, I'm guessing it was created as a tool for teaching layering technique to students in the classroom. And then, when the opportunity arose for them to perform at Rakkasah, this choreography is what the students knew, so that's what they performed.

Post Thanks / Like

This is really an example that I think has way too much technique and it's not very enjoyable to watch. The music's also incredibly boring and the costumes look like classroom attire...is there some sort of statement she's trying to make? Or is it their intention to showcase ONLY technique?
    I only looked at the first minute or so - but I'd say this was hardly "belly dance" - this is jazz (of the less exciting variety) - even the music is reminisent of what we'd do student shows to in the 1980s.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh oops I totally posted the wrong clip. I'm so embarrassed!!! I'm terrible for not reading it carefully! Just came back from a trip when I was posting it and the hotel bed was incredibly uncomfortable - I didn't get much sleep. It came up with the Suhaila searches and the way they were dressed looked very similar to Suhaila's dancers. Still though - it's a very Suhaila-inspired choreography. Here are some more actual Suhaila choreographies to touch on what I'm talking about:

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast