Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shimmies

Post Thanks / Like

I've been taking Tribal classes for about a year now, but we don't use the Egyptian shimmy hardly at all (we love 3/4), so I'm still just figuring that one out. I'll be taking the slower practice time more seriously after reading all the great advice in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shimmies

Hey Everyone !

Maybe it depends on the style of belly dance, but I was under the impression...and was taught...to NEVER, EVER, EVER, do shimmies by bending and straightening my knees due to "wear and tear" risks . In fact, in a class once, I was told of Hula dancers who used their knees in hip movements for so long that they now have wicked knee problems because of it. I was also told the same of belly dancers who used their knees. From how I was taught, the movement is to be done by squeezing and releasing the glute muscles with my weight even in my heels in "belly dance posture", shoulder length apart, though my feet side-by-side is fine. This made perfect sense to me because it made things easier when learning to walk with a 3/4 or 4/4 shimmy. How can that be done if the knees are involved in the shimmy movement?

edavis2

Post Thanks / Like

hope you enjoy your time on the forum edavis2

Sita

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edavis2 View Post
    Hey Everyone !

Maybe it depends on the style of belly dance, but I was under the impression...and was taught...to NEVER, EVER, EVER, do shimmies by bending and straightening my knees due to "wear and tear" risks . In fact, in a class once, I was told of Hula dancers who used their knees in hip movements for so long that they now have wicked knee problems because of it. I was also told the same of belly dancers who used their knees. From how I was taught, the movement is to be done by squeezing and releasing the glute muscles with my weight even in my heels in "belly dance posture", shoulder length apart, though my feet side-by-side is fine. This made perfect sense to me because it made things easier when learning to walk with a 3/4 or 4/4 shimmy. How can that be done if the knees are involved in the shimmy movement?

edavis2
    Hey there,

I understand what your's saying about the shimmying and walking at the same time. I never understood how that is possible if you are moving your knees back and forth.

I am following Kashmir's advice though, and my shimmies have improved TREMENOUSLY. I am trying to picture what you are saying, but I can't really get it. It sounds kind of tough.

But , basically, you are saying you don't shimmy with your knees at all? How do you move your knees with your backside? Sorry, just a bit confused.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I tried to edit, but came out as a double post!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shimmies

Hey PinkSugar!

It took a bit for to get it at first, too. This is what I meant by glute executed shimmies. Stand in front of a mirror in Belly Dance Posture keeping your knees bent and pelvis tucked. If you contract your left glute, you'll notice that your left hip will rise while your right hip lowers. If you contract your right glute, you'll notice your right hip rising and your left hip will lower. Slowly speed up the contracting and releasing and you'll have a nice shimmy. By using your glutes it also keeps your knees free to perform walking and/or level change moves. Now, having said that, your knees WILL still bend and straighten, but it will be because of your glutes squeezing and contracting to give the up and down motion of the opposite hip, not because you physically bend and straighten your knees to cause one hip or the other to rise and fall. I noticed this "Glute Philosophy" as I call works well for other belly dance moves, such as hip squares and to some degree, mayas. I hope this helps you!

Happy Shimmies,
    edavis2

P.S. Hi, Sita!
    Last edited by edavis2; 11-22-2009 at 01:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edavis2 View Post
    Hey PinkSugar!

It took a bit for to get it at first, too. This is what I meant by glute executed shimmies. Stand in front of a mirror in Belly Dance Posture keeping your knees bent and pelvis tucked. If you contract your left glute, you'll notice that your left hip will rise while your right hip lowers. If you contract your right glute, you'll notice your right hip rising and your left hip will lower. Slowly speed up the contracting and releasing and you'll have a nice shimmy. By using your glutes it also keeps your knees free to perform walking and/or level change moves. Now, having said that, your knees WILL still bend and straighten, but it will be because of your glutes squeezing and contracting to give the up and down motion of the opposite hip, not because you physically bend and straighten your knees to cause one hip or the other to rise and fall. I noticed this "Glute Philosophy" as I call works well for other belly dance moves, such as hip squares and to some degree, mayas. I hope this helps you!

Happy Shimmies,
    edavis2

P.S. Hi, Sita!
    Thank you for breaking this down for me. It sounds pretty challenging, but I am going to try it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PinkSugar View Post
    Thank you for breaking this down for me. It sounds pretty challenging, but I am going to try it
    An interesting technique - developed I believe by Suhaila - pretty much unknown in the Middle East. Many dancers don't call the result a "shimmy" however as there can't be any reverb in it.

Post Thanks / Like

sometimes you can think too hard about the shimmy, try to relax, and think about something else... washing up, ironing, anything to do with your hands and brain... totally relax from the hips down and shimmy... the more you relax the faster you can go....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12