Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PinkSugar View Post
    Thank you all for the replies

So far I don't count. Like I said I am not familiar with counting beats yet, but I would like to learn. I was practicing a choreography with some students in my class and I didn't count the beats. I just knew the part of the song was coming and was able to time my moves without counting. Although, if I was performing by myself to this particular song counting the beats wouldn't be necessary, but since it was a group, a few seconds off here and there made a difference and can really throw the whole thing off. So counting beats while performing with other people, I believe is really helpful.

Right now I'm just going to concentrate on the core movements of Raqs Sharqi so I can build upon that. One thing at a time, lol, I don't want to overwhelm myself, which I have a tendency to do!
    It is still necessary to be on the beat if you dance by yuorself. The beat may var as described above, or you may play with it, but it is stilll possible to trell if a dancer anticipates the music or follows it too far behind

Post Thanks / Like

If you can follow the beat precisely without counting, you don't need to count, ever.

I don't count, I just know where the beat is. If I lose the choreography, I know exactly where the start of the next phrase is. Truth is, I'm probably counting subsconsciously, but it's so automatic I honestly am not aware of it. I've been around music since I was tiny.

If you relate to that, you will probably never need to learn to count.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydance Oz View Post
    If you can follow the beat precisely without counting, you don't need to count, ever.

I don't count, I just know where the beat is. If I lose the choreography, I know exactly where the start of the next phrase is. Truth is, I'm probably counting subsconsciously, but it's so automatic I honestly am not aware of it. I've been around music since I was tiny.

If you relate to that, you will probably never need to learn to count.
    Thank you , that pretty much answers my question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pink Sugar,

thank you for opening this discussion!

Cheart99,

First, I wish you the best for finding the funding for such a research!
    Second, I avoided the term "feeling", because I want to avoid any hint that would lead argument towards emotions. But yes, feeling is the right term for understanding rythm. But is not that one is not counting exactly - it is EXACT counting on the rythm, which has more information than 1-2-3-4, and if we keep counting 1-2-3-4 while dancing we will miss the beat! You can try it for yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

You may like to read this thread

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/inst...ighlight=count

The conclusion reached was that there are different things to count and different ways to do - but it is often useful.
    Last edited by jenc; 11-19-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walladah View Post
    First, I wish you the best for finding the funding for such a research!
    Thanks. It might take a while but I'm going to give it a try.

Second, I avoided the term "feeling", because I want to avoid any hint that would lead argument towards emotions. But yes, feeling is the right term for understanding rythm. But is not that one is not counting exactly - it is EXACT counting on the rythm, which has more information than 1-2-3-4, and if we keep counting 1-2-3-4 while dancing we will miss the beat! You can try it for yourself!
    Ok I understand where you are coming from now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    You may like to read this thread

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/inst...ighlight=count

The conclusion reached was that there are different things to count and different ways to do - but it is often useful.
    Thanks for sharing that thread with me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12