Shimmying + Walking

PinkSugar

How? Just how?! I am just getting my basic shimmy down, and although I am concentrating on that whole heartedly, I really cannot grasp how dancers shimmy and walk at the same time. I know I am getting ahead of myself, but I am so curious :) I plan to ask my teacher about it, but any words of wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

I still have trouble with this one, too, PinkSugar. I don't see how one can vibrate one's legs/knees and walk at the same time. Hopefully Shira, Kashmir, or one of the other many more experienced dancers will drop in to answer your question soon. :)

Pirika Repun

Regular shimmies use either hamstrings, gluteus or knees (which I don't like, and I don't do it) but when you shimmies and walks, you need shimmy by your hips. Using your muscle around waist to wobble your hips. When you use your waist or hip, your legs are free, so you can moving around. I know it's sounds strange but what that my teacher Tarik teachs us. If you are not used to it, it's hard, and hard to move your waist muscle up and down to wobble, but eventually you can do it. ;) Maybe other people do other way too, but this is what I know.

adiemus

Shimmying and walking involves learning to transfer your weight to one leg while continuing to shimmy. It's the oblique abdominal muscles that do this, so you use this rather than knee or hips to drive the shimmy. You start to do this slowly then pick the speed of the shimmy up. It's easier to do if you practice first to transfer your weight from both legs equally then to one leg then back and forth from either leg, then move to carry on shimmying while lifting the nonsupporting leg off the floor and so on until you can walk!
There are several different types of walking shimmy too, although all of them involve using the obliques, but each one is slightly different - such as the upward 3/4, downward 3/4, continuous up and continuous down shimmy!!
I'd suggest waiting to learn how to do this until your teacher thinks you're ready to do it, because it's important to learn to do this correctly or you can end up with some strange postures while you do it!

PinkSugar

I still have trouble with this one, too, PinkSugar. I don't see how one can vibrate one's legs/knees and walk at the same time. Hopefully Shira, Kashmir, or one of the other many more experienced dancers will drop in to answer your question soon. :)

I hear that!

I am reading what the other ladies have posted now. It seems so complex. I feel like I need a degree in Rocket Science to pull this off. lolol

Pirika Repun

It's the oblique abdominal muscles that do this, so you use this rather than knee or hips to drive the shimmy.

Thank you! I couldn't find the word "oblique abdominal muscles" (becaues English is not my first language) Yes, I mean waist is "oblique abdominal muscles" and that Tarik said too. Just I couldn't find the word. ;)

PinkSugar

Okay, so let me see if I got this right. You're not actually moving your knees back and forth at all when you shimmy and walk?

adiemus

That's right! Here's one way to think of it. Stand on one leg, the try to do a hip lift with the hip of the nonsupporting leg - this is the movement you're actually doing. And at the same time you're walking as you would normally - so you're transferring your weight in the same way as you do when you walk, but the shimmy part is being driven by your obliques.

You can't really use your knees when you shimmy walk because it looks really weird! and you end up being unable to walk!!

Daimona

How? Just how?! I am just getting my basic shimmy down, and although I am concentrating on that whole heartedly, I really cannot grasp how dancers shimmy and walk at the same time. I know I am getting ahead of myself, but I am so curious :) I plan to ask my teacher about it, but any words of wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated :)

It isn't rocket science, and the secret is revealed in just 3 words: Practice, practice, practice.. .

To walk with the shimmy, there is a 3 step rocket where each step must be mastered until you continue:
First: Practice your ordinary shimmies on both feet.
Second: Practice shimmies on one foot (both the one you are standing on and the other)
Third: Practice changing weight while shimmying and then walking with the shimmy.

And remember: There are several different kinds of shimmies out there, so don't be afraid if you get confused. ;)

it's all about switching body weight!

basically you need to practice getting the shimmy going while you are switching body weight from one side to the other.
your shimmy shouldn't be affected.
but essentially that enables you to free one leg from your body weight so that you can make a step and then switch body weight again and step...

hope this helps

--
Aurora

Last edited by a moderator:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Thats a layering move. You can't use only one muscle group like you do when you are standing. You are actually using many different groups at the same time, hence the layering.

I use my glut muscles and obliques (depending on what type of shimmy I am doing) to keep them going when walking or leveling. Since you can't really use your thigh muscles or knees since they are being engages in walking.

Last edited:

PinkSugar

Yes, I figured it was a layering move.

No wonder it didn't make sense to me. I kept wondering how it would be possible to walk whilst moving your knees back and forth and that made no sense. I've only learned one shimmy so far, and that is using my knees to go back and forth while keeping my heels firmly planted on the floor.

So, I assumed that would be the one you would use to walk also, not knowing there are other shimmies. No wonder it didn't make sense!

Are there alot of different shimmies in Raqs Sharqi?

Last edited:

PinkSugar

That's right! Here's one way to think of it. Stand on one leg, the try to do a hip lift with the hip of the nonsupporting leg - this is the movement you're actually doing. And at the same time you're walking as you would normally - so you're transferring your weight in the same way as you do when you walk, but the shimmy part is being driven by your obliques.

You can't really use your knees when you shimmy walk because it looks really weird! and you end up being unable to walk!!

Hey adiemus,

I am going to try that. Just one question. When you are lifting the hip of the nonsupporting leg, is it ok for that foot/heel to come off the ground at all. I can't see how it can be done without your foot and/or heel coming off the gound slightly. As I said, I've only learned one shimmy so far, using my knees. With that one, I know my feet have to stay planted, but since this one is different, I'm assuming I can lift my foot/heel?

Last edited:

Kharis

One of the drills I devised, and do with my students, and I find it brings their walking shimmies along really well, is to make them step sideways with a shimmy and imagine they are stepping over an obstacle that is about mid shin height. This makes them utilize the individual legs whilst still on the move. It's very, very effective and produces amazing results. But it's not for the faint hearted or complete beginners. It's absolutely vital that the muscle memory be built up in both individual legs before attempting to perfect a shimmy walk. Otherwise, it ends up looking jerky, unbalanced and uncontrolled not to mention tense.

adiemus

Hey adiemus,

I am going to try that. Just one question. When you are lifting the hip of the nonsupporting leg, is it ok for that foot/heel to come off the ground at all. I can't see how it can be done without your foot and/or heel coming off the gound slightly. As I said, I've only learned one shimmy so far, using my knees. With that one, I know my feet have to stay planted, but since this one is different, I'm assuming I can lift my foot/heel?

You'll lose your balance if you try to let your heel lift, and it's not necessary when you do a shimmy to use your heels/feet. Like I said, stand on one leg, then try doing a s l o w hip lift on the hip of the nonsupporting (free) leg. You can lift this leg (because while you're walking it will be in the air!) then after you've done the hip lift, you can put that leg down and transfer your weight across to it, and do a hip lift with the other hip while the opposite leg is free.

It's a whole lot harder to describe than actually DO - but again I suggest waiting until your teacher starts to cover these movements, because you risk several things:
(1) you won't learn to do the shimmy you're currently doing
(2) you might learn some odd postures that you'll only need to unlearn
(3) you need to develop your oblique abdominal muscle strength before you try doing this or you'll tire very quickly

So... in a word, wait, be patient and practice what you are being taught right now. All will come in time OK?!
cheers
Bronnie

Farasha Hanem

Regular shimmies use either hamstrings, gluteus or knees (which I don't like, and I don't do it) but when you shimmies and walks, you need shimmy by your hips. Using your muscle around waist to wobble your hips. When you use your waist or hip, your legs are free, so you can moving around. I know it's sounds strange but what that my teacher Tarik teachs us. If you are not used to it, it's hard, and hard to move your waist muscle up and down to wobble, but eventually you can do it. ;) Maybe other people do other way too, but this is what I know.

Okaaaay, that makes more sense to not let your knees drive the shimmy walk. I wish my first teacher had been a little more clear in explainng that, but she made it sound like you shimmy walk the same way you execute a knee shimmy, only you're moving forward with it. :confused:

:doh: :wall:

jenc

I have been told by my teacher that walking with Egyptian shimmy is not only possible but the Egyptian way to go. Can any of our Egyptian dancers comment please?

karena

I'm no teacher, but unless I've misunderstood, one can walk with a knee shimmy. I'm pretty sure we do.

Kashmir

I have been told by my teacher that walking with Egyptian shimmy is not only possible but the Egyptian way to go. Can any of our Egyptian dancers comment please?
I don't think it is the default walking shimmy for most Egyptian dancers - I think that would be a 3/4 down (with or without a twist inward). However, I do know a dancer who insists she walks with an Egyptian "straight leg" shimmy - she claims she only uses part of her quads to move the knee and uses the rest to do the walking. Now in theory that should be possible ... :D

Personally, my default shimmy is generated by my lateral flexors (obliques and QTs) so does not interfere with walking.