Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drills

Post Thanks / Like

No problem!

It is for anyone. It has no style to it, save for the sample dance footage at the end. The drills are for anyone, applied to any dance style.

Post Thanks / Like

Starr -- again, Yasmine's comments are so helpful and explain extremely well! Yasmine, I really like the way you explain this process!
    In addition, although it is not about drills per se, for a more beginning level (than Ansuya's Lavish Layers DVD), 21 Shimmies and 2001 Variations I found extremely helpful to practice with -- again, not drills, but to review what went by so fast in class and be able to review it many many times -- Just thought I'd add that to comments because I can really relate to the effort to have an at home practice and try to make the most of that between classes and that one helped me so much! -- much success --- Ludmilla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starrbursts View Post
    well since I'm homeschooled probably about two hours a day. Even when I'm not "practicing" I still go aorund the house shimmying or working on hipslides, hip circles, hip drops, hip lifts. Those really are the only moves I know well...but most of the time I always put a random song on and start imrovising trying to feel it. Like today in the store there was some country playing. i Listened to it for a little bit and then just started doing some moves. It was really cool and my mom started laughing.
    Yes!! You may call me starr. Easier to write than starrbursts, right?
    Hey Starr, sounds like you are getting off to a good start! It's also good that you are able to improvise to familiar music too. Zaghareets to you, Starr!
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers!

BTw not to sound ignorant but what does Zaghareets mean?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starrbursts View Post
    Cheers!

BTw not to sound ignorant but what does Zaghareets mean?
    Zaghareets are those high-pitched ululating noises that you hear at belly dance events, or in some middle-eastern movie scenes. It's not entirely unlike the noise Xena makes (if you have ever seen that old TV show). It's a sound that expresses joy and excitement.

It is very cool that you can already improvise. Keep having fun with that! It's hard for me to do, so I am a little jealous, but very happy for you!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh well thank you. I don't know how good it is but heck, I'm enjoying myself. My number one favorite song to right now is Rak Africa on the bellydance superstar dvd. Holy cow, I love it so much!! Yesterday, I think I danced to it like four times before I was like, eh...I'm hot and sweaty. hehe

Oh...my mom can make that noise. I try but it turns into a theee like what the spanish do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    Zaghareets are those high-pitched ululating noises that you hear at belly dance events, or in some middle-eastern movie scenes. It's not entirely unlike the noise Xena makes (if you have ever seen that old TV show). It's a sound that expresses joy and excitement.

It is very cool that you can already improvise. Keep having fun with that! It's hard for me to do, so I am a little jealous, but very happy for you!
    Hi,da Sage. I heard such high-pitched noises from the audience after the performance on bellydace videos(esp. the tribal style).And I thought they were so interesting and cute! R these lovely noises Zaghareets u described above?

Post Thanks / Like

Default drills

please try to look at The heartbeat of bellydance by jenna--it has a shimmy drill section. not real fond of the choreographies..but the drills i do in my class and with my little one.

Everyone else---good tips ..glad to hear about rachel brice's dvd and the aziza. keep asking questions b/c the info is great!

nayila

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Starrbursts,

Once again, I applaud Yasmine for her quality advice!

I don't want to sound discouraging, but I'm not sure that a drills DVD is the best way forward anyway. You are usually your own best judge of what you need to drill more and what you need to drill less, and staring at the tv screen implies you're not looking at yourself as much as you should probably be. More productive and ultimately more flexible is learning to devise your own drills. And when you're bored of your current drill you can change song, combinations, etc while a DVD gets old quickly!

Start off by deciding what you want to drill. Then pick a song that feels almost impossibly slow. It's tempting to try to go as fast as you can but that proves nothing, slow is where the control's at! With every repetition you should be striving to do it a bit better than the last, all the while not forgetting the rest of the body (posture!!) and at the same time concentrate on the inner sensation of the movement so you feel the movement too.

And if you are not sure about how to go about achieving something, there are some incredibly talented and sharing dancers on this forum who have given me all sorts of inspirational ideas on how to work on problem areas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12