The Forum Advent Calendar - 1st December 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

karena

Ooo that looks nice Alosha! The Libby's pumpkin, is that like pureed or chunks or something else? I'll have to improvise you see

9 Dec - The Forum Advent Calendar

10th December (little bit early but I'm excited about this:dance:

The Tale of the Dread Cookie Sandbakkel
and
The Fattigman Minions

It was many years ago that I was seduced by the sugar and butter side of a Norwegian Christmas. My then Fiance and I were talking over coffee one December eve. A tale he told of butter, heavy cream, sugar, eggs, flour almonds and caradamon about his Grandmother and Mom. All this was spoken in the words: 'and they make these cookies only once a year.' He spoke of how he enjoyed them and how they were a special part of their Christmas . Okay I was totally hooked on David and his family and his cat Torvald. So the recipes were consulted.
Deep in my cookbook horde was and ancient green-cloth covered tome copywrite 1939 The United States Regional Cook Book. A book inherited from my aunt and there right in the middle chapters was called Minnesota Scandinavian Cook Book of Fine Old Recipes and there those very cookies were listed along with recipes for lutefisk (which will not be discussed here suffice to say it had been an episode of Andrew Zimmer's Bizarre Food). Now back to the good stuff.

Sandbakkels
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamon
2 cups sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 grated almonds
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 tablespoons cream.
Cream butter thoroughly. Add sugar gradually and cream again, Add u nbeaten egg and beat well. Stir in flour, cardamon and salt. Add finely grated almonds, flavorings and cream. Blend thoroughly. Chill. Press into Sandbakkel forms (a fluted round pan about 1 inch deep and 3 inches in diameter) to 1/4 inch thickness and bake in a hot oven (400 F) 20 minutes. Minutes. Makes 2 1/2 dozen.
Great I said to myself easy enough 'tho' typical for a 70 year old cookbook the directions seemed a bit vague. So I searched more recipes and not only did I find a multiple of different spellings... add info. Remove from tins while hot, very fragile okay not bad... and then the one crucical how shall I say it ... Christmas fantasy from too much eggnog and rum. Easily with just a slight tap they come out of their tins easily. Well in my naiveness I took this to be true. So sad for I discovered that I think Sandbakkel is a curseword used by very polite Norwegian ladies of the past. They assuredly did not... was this light tap from a sledge hammer? That was after rescuing them about 10 minutes before they would be ready. They were cemented fast to those tins...but the crumbs were very very good... and the carefully salvaged whole ones were presented with pride. Later on My Mom in Law to be gave me her sandbakkel tins... and my dear sister in law said... she discovered that spraying the tins with pam helps alot. But everyone said they were pains to get out of the tins and laughed at the reciped that said they would easily slide out. And yes my gentle reader in a few days The Dread Cookie Sandbakkel will appear clothed in a cloud of very blue language and given to my dear family.

Now on to The Fattigman Minions.
Yes from this same cookbook. I shall just give you the recipe and let you imagination good. I will also give the reality based version too.

Fattigman

12 egg yolks
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/8 cups sugar
1 1/8 cups heavy cream
t teaspoon ground cardamon
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 tablespoons brandy (and decidely more for the cook)
flour (about 7 cups)
Confectioners' sugar
Beat the egg yolks and whites, salt, and sugar for 1/2 hour (yes that is what it says - I image by hand... just a couple of minutes with the big Kitchenaid mixer) Add cream and cardamon and stir together well: add butter, extract and brandy. Add enough flour to make a dough stiff enough to roll out very thin. (you see where this is going) Place in the refrigerator and chill overnight. Roll out thin in small quantities: cut into diamond shapes and cut a slit in the center of each diamond, through which one corner of the diamond should be pulled. Fry in hot deep fat (365F) until a delicate brown. Serve cold dusted with confectioner's sugar. Makes about 200 cookies.
Real World you get one big hunk of dough, really. and seems like way more than 200 cookies... every level spot is covered with a bowl of the minions and confectioners sugar flies like a blizzard... and my Norskie man hovers like a wolf in that blizzard waiting for tender morsels to come his way. The smile on his face is most worth it. Latter I found they have a wonderful tool a fattigman cutter that you just roll over the dough and get those diamonds with the slits. Besides the brandy to amuse yourself while creating your Fattigman minions you can practice your shimmies while rolling the dough and frying it. Actually this is a good idea cause these suckers are worth the effort. Then after all is done; find a comfy chair to artfully drape your flour and sugar covered self in all diva like and ask Mr. Husband so what is he doing for dinner plans tonight. And think about all those other cookies and breads cause in the words of another diva: "Tomorrow is another day':D
Creaks wishing you all a Happy and Healthy Holiday and a good night to all.
Love Creaks

Last edited by a moderator:

karena

Well this will be a busy baking weekend I can see!:D
Look yummy too

PS Creaks you're not as early as your post suggests, you're 9th Maria Harlequin in 10th. Just don't want any tears from anyone :lol:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Alosha, pumpkin anything is a fav of mine .. thank you ..yummmmmm

Creaks, love your take on baking, forget the recipes it is all the bits afterwards, sugar and flour covered Diva and all that

Thanks for the laugh and the recipes do sound very interesting. I am loving this thread it is a lot of fun!

Daimona

Haha! I never thought anyone would post recipes for traditional Norwegian Christmas cookies here..

Actually, I've never heard the word "sandbakkels" before (we do have "vannbakkels", but that would be something completely different), but it seems like they are an Americanized version of the more common "sandkaker". My recipe book (from 1999) says you should turn the cookies up-side down and that they will loosen from their tins as they cool a bit. If not, give them just a slight tap. It also says these cookies should be stored dry in a box with a lid or in the freezer, and it states clearly that the tins should not be sprayed with pam etc (!) - although, I must admit I'm no expert since I don't make these myself, but my mother used to make them when I was a child.

For cutting the "fattigmann" (pl. "fattigmenn") cookies, you could also use a "baketrinse" (unfortunately I don't know the word in english, but it is a pizza cutter wheel with a wavy blade) instead of the fattigmann cutter. ;)

The Forum Advent Calendar

Thanks for the compliments . Daimona I think the Norwegian in these recipes is really old and not Nyr Norsk or Bok Norsk - probably from 1880's or earlier...also the odd measurements of 1 1/8 cups. Guess it is like lefse here is potato cake for you. Yep I make them too... probably this weekend. (David and I do the whole thing krumkaker,julkage ect... sorry about my spelling of them )It is funny about what you find in the forum. Creaks

Daimona

Thanks for the compliments . Daimona I think the Norwegian in these recipes is really old and not Nyr Norsk or Bok Norsk - probably from 1880's or earlier...also the odd measurements of 1 1/8 cups. Guess it is like lefse here is potato cake for you. Yep I make them too... probably this weekend. (David and I do the whole thing krumkaker,julkage ect... sorry about my spelling of them )It is funny about what you find in the forum. Creaks

Creaks: :D It seems like you do a lot more traditional Norwegian stuff than I do for Christmas.. ;)

There are a lot of various recipes of lefse and potato cakes. Lefse, "læms", klenning, potato cake (which also could be something completely different) or lompe (a variety to wrap around hot dogs) are all just variations of each other..

In my opinion, krumkake and goro are the best Norwegian Christmas cookies.
Lefse I eat all year round (I had to have one as a snack for lunch today because of your post). :D

maria_harlequin

10th December

This is Loreena Mckennitt's "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" with a Middle Eastern flavor! There's also a very lovely taxim at 2:49. I keep on hoping for a Christmas-theme gig so I can dance to this and wear my medieval-inspired costume! And you thought the only Mckennitt song you could dance to was Marco Polo :D

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I have this CD amongst several other's of hers. I love her music, thanks. If you want to dance to Laura Mckennitts music, Marrakesh Night Market could do the trick:D
~Mosaic

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
11th December 12.30am -In Australia

I can't wait to post - so it will seem rather early for some

(I know it isn't really the 11th day, but it kind of suits the mood and it is the 11th.... Now check the pic below and click on the link for a special Christmas wish.

Keep going....

and just a little more

Go to:
http://www.dancingsantacard.com/?santa=870784

Not a bad shimmy even if I say so myself!
~Mosaic

Last edited:

Sita

Justone big WOW from me that was fantastic Mosaic. You make a great bellydancing Santa btw.

I can't believe how wonderful these treats are!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!

Sita

Dev

Thank you everybody for all the nice things.

Mosaic that was great.:lol:

gisela

Super Moderator
December 13th- Luciaday!

Today is Lucia day! It's a BIG tradition in Sweden and quite a bit smaller in Denmark. I believe it is also celebrated in Norway and maybe some other countries around here but I am not sure about how much.

This tradition is very strange. When reading up on the background it is a big mix of all kinds of old pagan traditions, countryside superstition, an italian catholic saint, a custom from Germany, beauty pageants and swedish pride :D
Let's start with a visual example

This day you might meet the Lucia (the girl with the crown) and her gang (girls with candles in hands and glitter or green stuff in hair, and boys with cones on head and stars in hands) anywhere. Usually there is a Lucia in each town, every school, in shoppingmalls churches, kindergartens, recreationcenters, swimming in the town pool, riding at the riding schools, bellydancing with shamadan at haflas etc etc ok I think you get the gist of it.
Like here at the Stockholm central station

continues...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.