Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New plus size bellydancer, needing support

I start lessons this week. It's something I've been wanting to do for a couple of years, and I decided to finally do it. I'm a little nervous because dancing is one thing that gives me anxiety, I don't feel like I have much natural rhythm at all, and I want to get over this stupid fear. I'm signed up with a well respected teacher in this area, and I'm getting private lessons so I don't feel more nervous in a large group of people. I'm also a little nervous because I am plus size, and I've got a 2 year old, and all the stretch marks from carrying a 10lb baby. I know I can do this, and I really believe I'll enjoy it, and I know it will be good for me mentally and physically...I just was wondering if anyone else felt like this in the beginning as well? I look forward to reading your stories!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Lainey
    You'll find there are many women in the same position ( and shape) as yourself who decide that they'd love to do this dance. Because it is at heart a social dance, there is no reason why body-shape should prevent you from participating and benefitting from the activity. Regardless of image-issues, many girls like you find belly dance a great confidence-booster.
    you should always check with a health professional that is Ok for you to follow a course of any physical activity but otherwise there is no bar to you enjoying the classes

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Lainey. Just for your general edification, I am a plus sized teacher who had two ten and a half pound babies and all the physical marks that result from such an adventure. You'll be just fine- your worst critic is probably you, so have a firm talk with yourself about having fun. learning a new and beautiful skill, and the heck with stretch marks and extra poundage. Most of those models in the magazine are airbrushed, and those who aren't will need to be sooner or later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaineyNC View Post
    I'm also a little nervous because I am plus size, and I've got a 2 year old, and all the stretch marks from carrying a 10lb baby. I know I can do this, and I really believe I'll enjoy it, and I know it will be good for me mentally and physically...I just was wondering if anyone else felt like this in the beginning as well? I look forward to reading your stories!
    Hi Lainey! Welcome to the dance, and congratulations on overcoming your nervousness!

I've created a web site called "Bellydance Plus" especially for the purpose of helping dancers like you overcome your hesitation at learning to belly dance: Bellydance for Plus-Sized Women, Belly Dance for Full-Figured Women, and Bellydancing for Big Beautiful Women (BBW) . One important thing for you to realize is that you are NOT REQUIRED to bare your belly when you do this dance. It's okay to do it if you want to, but there are many other great costume options such as elegant dresses that are perfectly acceptable costume choices in this dance form.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the dance - as others have said there are plenty of plus size ladies bellydancing, once over the initial nerves that everyone feels when they first begin you will be fine I guarantee. I was a plus size and on the other side of 50 when I began and felt the same way as you. I took a couple of private lessons to make sure that i like BD, feel head over heels in love with it, took a deep breathe ( several actually) and joined a class. I have never looked back. Five years + later - I am totally addicted, and never miss classes if I can help it, I go to 2 classes a week.

You go girl!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much ladies for your encouragement! Shira, I actually found your site before I found these forums! I watched some of the videos of a couple of the dancers there, and felt so much better afterward. I was just worried my body wouldn't want to move like that, but now I'm pretty confident that it will.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm yet another with a mama-tummy, and am still conscious about it, but not so much bothered by it anymore. Be sure to keep us posted and let us know how your lesson goes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alosha View Post
    I'm yet another with a mama-tummy
    ..is it sad that I kinda have a mama-tummy but without being a mama?? LOL
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheart99 View Post
    ..is it sad that I kinda have a mama-tummy but without being a mama?? LOL
    I never got a mama tummy but I sure got a granny tummy now..

Post Thanks / Like

I call it a front butt. It counter balances the back butt. Doesn't matter, it's how you feel when you dance that matters.

Welcome LaineyNC! You're in good company here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast