Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the blue costume has appliques- I was referring to the flowered costumes- sorry for the confusion. Looking at the close-up, I wonder if the designer employed shishadur. That's what it looks like. I've been experimenting with using it on costumes myself, and keep ending up with a tribal look rather than the very elegant look here. She uses beads on the outside edge of the motifs- can you tell if it is also beads on the center ring around the shiney middle?

No, I looked again and it looks like a center stone with beads rinsging around it. It isn't shishadur at all, but it gives me some ideas for that technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebedances View Post
    I don't get into alot of flowery ones usually, but hers are more appealing to me. She certainly has an eye for color too. The Firebird one later in the thread is fabulous with the purples and oranges.

Angela, I could see you wearing either of those costumes. I liked the peacock one later in the thread where she had the feathers looking like they were falling down the strap and around one bra cup.. lovely effect, that. I actually adore applicae work if it is done well. I want to learn how to do it!
    I want to learn how to do the beading and appliques too, Phoebe! Hope I can enrol in a sewing course here. I think the costumes you shared with us are very well done.

Which one is the Firebird and the Peacock with feathered strap? I have a phobia of birds and anything with feathers (even the feather duster), I don't know why. I know it's weird but I just loooove the colors of the birds like peacocks and parrots. I just won't touch them though. Hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    I like it, I'm not sure if they are appliques, because some of the other costumes also have these kind of things on them. Maybe she makes them first seperately and then put them on. Here is a close-up
    Wow, Amulya, that costume is gorgeous in the close-up picture! Very skillfully made and the colors are very contrasting and attractive.

In the whole body small picture, I thought they were one of those ready-made sequined appliques they sold in craft stores, hehe. Thank you for the beautiful close up photo, Amulya!

I think it's the lavender costume with pastel flowers (that Shanazel pointed out) that has appliques but again, I may be wrong. Do you have a close-up photo of that costume, Amulya?
    Last edited by Shanazel; 10-28-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: merge posts

Post Thanks / Like

This pastel one with the flowers?

Here is the close-up (the flower has fringe coming right out of the center):

Similar costumes:

I'm not too fond of these styles she has, they look a bit cheap. The others a much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaJP View Post
    Which one is the Firebird and the Peacock with feathered strap? I have a phobia of birds and anything with feathers (even the feather duster), I don't know why. I know it's weird but I just loooove the colors of the birds like peacocks and parrots. I just won't touch them though. Hehe.

BTW the firebird doesn't have feathers (or did you mean the embroidered feathers ?):

neither has this peacock one:

this is a nice one too:

but the 'thong' needs to be removed.

Did anyone notice the use of those strap-thingies on the arms in a lot of costumes? Bella is doing that too, must be the new fashion. Looks a bit strange to me.

Post Thanks / Like

The ones Amulya posted above has the firebird and peacock designs. That peacock one is absolutely divine!!! I have to learn how to do those applicaes.

I kinda like the arm straps - very different arm jewelry if you have nice arms. I wish I had nice arms!

Post Thanks / Like

I love this lady's designs. She takes inspirations from all over the bellly dance world and then dropped in something special of her own. I would also hazard a guess that they comfortable and well made.

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of Mandyt shimmyshop designs. I love this but I'll leave it to the youngsters like the lovely Sophie

I have one of these dresses though
    Last edited by lizaj; 10-29-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

another from Russia. I just so want one like this but did I read somewhere that no one wants to see a dancer all covered up...well I'll go for any flattering dress..believe me !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post

another from Russia. I just so want one like this but did I read somewhere that no one wants to see a dancer all covered up...well I'll go for any flattering dress..believe me !

This Black one is very nice.

I am never very undressed when I perform and it has never stopped me.
    Infact, I have been hired on numerous occasions were people have said to me'we love you because we know you will never shame us with your costumes'. this is absolutely true.

I use the golden rule for any sort of dress, if you show alot of Cleavage thern cover the other area, if you show alot of leg then cover the cleavage and so on.
    I find it works no problem.
    Too much of everything can be too much for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of those waist straps on a madam abla that I bought second hand from my teacher. It is actually very slenderizing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebedances View Post
    The ones Amulya posted above has the firebird and peacock designs. That peacock one is absolutely divine!!! I have to learn how to do those applicaes.!
    Yes Phoebe and Amulya, those 2 really stand out! Exquisite design and beadwork. Just beautiful! Is the beading done one bead at a time? Must be soooo tedious!

I don't think I'll look good wearing the lavender one.

I kinda like the arm straps - very different arm jewelry if you have nice arms. I wish I had nice arms!
    My arms are kinda muscled and don't look too feminine especially when I do the snake arms. I look like a Filipina tranny, eeeeeeeek! So I'd like to put something nice around my arms to make it look more feminine.
    Last edited by AngelaJP; 10-29-2008 at 08:21 PM.