Beautiful costumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoebedances

Nightdancer, I actually love the necklemanns peacock one, and I think you could put a number of different coloured skirts/veils with it. The green is pretty, but unless you loved green a lot you may get bored with it quickly. The silver/blue is simple and elegant, but my overall choice would be the 3rd one.

I am not sure if you know, but have seen posts on bhuz about the beads being plastic on some of necklemanns sets and that the colour can rub off. Still for the amount of work in them I think they are very reasonable in price.
~Mosaic
I wonder if you could spray the plastic beads with some sort of laquer and keep that from happening to them? Might be something to buy a couple of lengths of plastic beads and try first -- and of course you'd have to cover the parts of the costume you don't want sprayed carefully.

Just an idea - but I like the look of those beads on the peacock costume - it would be sad if the color all faded away.

Reen.Blom

I really like this costume ( would prefer a different colour though), she skirt coems off and is used a s a veil!

Last edited:

Shanazel

I like green costumes.

Be careful spraying laquer and other similar chemicals on plastic- it might dissolve the beads instead of preservng them.

Phoebedances

I like green costumes.

Be careful spraying laquer and other similar chemicals on plastic- it might dissolve the beads instead of preservng them.

Definitely a test would be in order before doing. I remember coating some jewelry that would tarnish in clear fingernail polish before. I wonder if that would just take the color off quick or keep it on? Anyway, if I were considering making a costume and thinking about plastic beads, I might test it out, just to see.

I have a gold coin bra that my once upon a time teacher got for me in eqypt, I wish I had coated the coins in fingernail polish, cause the color of them wore off. I need to redo it now and put something else on it, I suppose.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I really like this costume ( would prefer a different colour though), she skirt coems off and is used a s a veil!

Reen, I like this costume as well, I wonder how it would look in red. I wonder if it would be too much red all at once. I love really true rich royal purple and also orange. Maybe I would chose a purple for the costume.
~Mosaic

Mya

It's cool Anna but i tend to stay away from costumes that can come off because in certain moronic crowds it reinforces the idea that bellydance is linked to or similar to strip tease and such.

With the right crowd it's kinda funky though! =)

Reen.Blom

It's cool Anna but i tend to stay away from costumes that can come off because in certain moronic crowds it reinforces the idea that bellydance is linked to or similar to strip tease and such.

With the right crowd it's kinda funky though! =)

It did not look cheesy at all! Cos she was playing with the skirt through the whole dance, I think it looked cool!

Phoebedances

My teacher would go get costumes from Madam Abla every year. One year she came back with this long baledi dress in black, completely covered in gold pailettes connected to the costume by about inch long strands of gold glass beads. The thing weighed an absolute ton - :lol:

Fifi Abdou had decided she didn't like it and so my teacher bought it. She wore it at this workshop show (Shehera's show ) back in 2000 and I have the video from it. She looked like a live disco ball with all the pailettes flashing under the lights. She could do wonderous shimmies, but that dress almost dance by itself in the corner. Now, if I could only figure out how to get this video onto my computer and burned to a DVD, I might be able to show a still from it. :p

Those dresses in the Fifi fashion show are gorgeous! I think the one with the sequined flowers would be perfect for a spanish Flamenco or gypsy bellydance Fusion piece!

Amulya

This is one of my all time favorites, when it was up for sale I couldn't afford it...
Does anyone know where it actually comes from and it it's still possible to get this made?

nightdancer

My current object of fascination

But the fabric I am looking at making it out of is a soft rose, broze, brown varigation. I'll post a photo of the fabric when I get home. Thoughts?

Robynne

Shanazel

I think it is pretty, Robynne. What does the back look like? The beauty of the top depends on that yoke remaining straight and flat against the shoulders. If it is indeed a halter style with no connection between yoke and bodice in the back, might there be a problem with the yoke distorting from the weight of the fabric in the front bodice? I am thinking of a counterbalance sort of issue.

nightdancer

Excellent advice, Shanazel. This is why I value your opinions :) There is no picture of the back, sadly. I am thinking that the collar can fastened at the nape, and then T'd down the back to fasten to the top of the bodice. I'm home now, I'll go take pictures of the material in just a moment.

Ren, I dont know, I'm debating that myself.

Back in a few minutes with a picture.

Robynne

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.