Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More than one class?

I was wondering what people thought about taking more than one bellydance class at the same time. Like for example, going to two different studios with two different teachers during the week, alternating between the two. I've been dancing for years on and off, and just earlier this year in Feb. started taking classes on a regular basis. I guess you could say I'm intermediate level. The reason is that I want to get more out of it, so that I can get to performance level. Any thoughts would be helpful.
    thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

no problem whatsover in taking several classes from different teachers! Good teachers will recommend other teachers or workshops and it is always beneficial to experience a variety of teaching styles. However just make sure they are teaching a similar style e.g both egyptian so you don't get confused!
    Also are you saying you would 'alternate' as in you are not doubling you tuition hours per week but just alternating teachers? Doing that may not necessarily get you to performance level quicker. I'd say increasing your practice hours so doing both teachers each week would be more conductive to that aim.

Post Thanks / Like

I think studying with as many good, qualified teachers as possible is the ideal. That means weekly classes as well as workshops. You'll get a broader perspective on the dance, be exposed to different teaching methods and personal styles. It will help you develop your own unique sense of the dance, rather than becoming a carbon copy of one single teacher.

I agree with pp that instead of switching off, consistently attending both classes will help you improve and advance faster. Plus, of course, is the practice practice practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed
    Beware the teacher who tries to keep you to herself.
    I think you can make a mistake by going to too many weekly teachers but if you have been dancing a year or so, picking up another regular teacher is a good idea and certainly experience as many teachers as you can in workshops.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently looking into finding another teacher so I can take classes twice a week instead of just once. This last class my teacher said, after about 4 months of classes once a week, I had pretty much learned all the moves she knows , at this point it's just perfecting them and practicing layers and such...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CottonAnatomy View Post
    I'm currently looking into finding another teacher so I can take classes twice a week instead of just once. This last class my teacher said, after about 4 months of classes once a week, I had pretty much learned all the moves she knows , at this point it's just perfecting them and practicing layers and such...
    That's why I feel it's important to study with professional dancers with a good dance background. At my studio, there's only one pro dancer teaching right now. The other classes are taught by intermediate students. That's fine for casual students who are just out for some fun, but that's not me.

I definitely wouldn't want to pay for classes where you'd capped the teacher out after 4 months. I hope you have good luck in finding a talented teacher who will help you in your journey.

Post Thanks / Like

last fall I took 5 classes each week with the same instructor...yes it was nuts but I had the cash, the time, and the drive to take that many classes. However I probably would not do it again cause I really didn't have the extra time to devote to practicing everything from each class.

hmm the professional thing. I'm actually currently talking with professional dancers I know regarding this issue. I have 2 years of straight dancing, a few workshops, and I'm a member of a troupe under my belt but I'm not sure even now that I am ready to go to the professional level. I would recommend have a long and detailed chat with professional dancers in your area of style. They provided me with so much information about requirements, things that need to be done, rates, times, etc.
    Last edited by ~Diana~; 12-02-2009 at 07:21 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Go for it. If the teachers have a very different style you may need to switch heads, but if they are both good teachers it'll be to your benefit long term.

However, watch out for over committing yourself - such as signing up for rehearsals for two different shows.

If one of the teachers discourages you in principal from doing another class - reconsider doing classes with her. (In principal as in "you are my student", rather than "be careful, I believe X teaches dangerous technique" or "educated teachers would disagree with what Y says about Z")

Post Thanks / Like

It's not necessarily about learning new moves. After all some famous dancers use about half a dozen but they do them devastatingly well.
    It's about appreciating how a a different teacher may bring the same moves to you and her/his take on the dance. You want to make moves your own not become a clone of one teacher. Another teacher may be more knowledgeable about the history/background of the dance. S/he may have other resources for you to tap into.
    S/he may of course combine the moves differently, have a different emphasis to some that makes them seem very different.
    It's often sad to hear a student say,on emerging from a workshop.."That was useless I didn't learn a new move!" That might not be what the intructor has to offer. I remember a workshop with Asmahan where she spent a lot of time trying to get us to move and walk like an Egyptian woman..no new moves just learning to be beledi women ..not necessarily successfully in most cases but a vital component of performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheart99 View Post
    last fall I took 5 classes each week with the same instructor...yes it was nuts but I had the cash, the time, and the drive to take that many classes. However I probably would not do it again cause I really didn't have the extra time to devote to practicing everything from each class.

hmm the professional thing. I'm actually currently talking with professional dancers I know regarding this issue. I have 2 years of straight dancing, a few workshops, and I'm a member of a troupe under my belt but I'm not sure even now that I am ready to go to the professional level. I would recommend have a long and detailed chat with professional dancers in your area of style. They provided me with so much information about requirements, things that need to be done, rates, times, etc.
    The original poster said she wanted to get to "performance level". She didn't mention going pro at all. We don't know if she wants to get paid, or if she simply wants to become a dancer who is worthy of her stage time.

Taking classes more than once a week, or with more than one teacher, is a very effective strategy to improve quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast