More than one class?

I was wondering what people thought about taking more than one bellydance class at the same time. Like for example, going to two different studios with two different teachers during the week, alternating between the two. I've been dancing for years on and off, and just earlier this year in Feb. started taking classes on a regular basis. I guess you could say I'm intermediate level. The reason is that I want to get more out of it, so that I can get to performance level. Any thoughts would be helpful.
thanks!

bellyfester

no problem whatsover in taking several classes from different teachers! Good teachers will recommend other teachers or workshops and it is always beneficial to experience a variety of teaching styles. However just make sure they are teaching a similar style e.g both egyptian so you don't get confused!
Also are you saying you would 'alternate' as in you are not doubling you tuition hours per week but just alternating teachers? Doing that may not necessarily get you to performance level quicker. I'd say increasing your practice hours so doing both teachers each week would be more conductive to that aim.

Jujube

I think studying with as many good, qualified teachers as possible is the ideal. That means weekly classes as well as workshops. You'll get a broader perspective on the dance, be exposed to different teaching methods and personal styles. It will help you develop your own unique sense of the dance, rather than becoming a carbon copy of one single teacher.

I agree with pp that instead of switching off, consistently attending both classes will help you improve and advance faster. Plus, of course, is the practice practice practice.

lizaj

Indeed
Beware the teacher who tries to keep you to herself.
I think you can make a mistake by going to too many weekly teachers but if you have been dancing a year or so, picking up another regular teacher is a good idea and certainly experience as many teachers as you can in workshops.

CottonAnatomy

I'm currently looking into finding another teacher so I can take classes twice a week instead of just once. This last class my teacher said, after about 4 months of classes once a week, I had pretty much learned all the moves she knows :( , at this point it's just perfecting them and practicing layers and such...

Jujube

I'm currently looking into finding another teacher so I can take classes twice a week instead of just once. This last class my teacher said, after about 4 months of classes once a week, I had pretty much learned all the moves she knows :( , at this point it's just perfecting them and practicing layers and such...

That's why I feel it's important to study with professional dancers with a good dance background. At my studio, there's only one pro dancer teaching right now. The other classes are taught by intermediate students. That's fine for casual students who are just out for some fun, but that's not me.

I definitely wouldn't want to pay for classes where you'd capped the teacher out after 4 months. I hope you have good luck in finding a talented teacher who will help you in your journey.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
last fall I took 5 classes each week with the same instructor...yes it was nuts but I had the cash, the time, and the drive to take that many classes. However I probably would not do it again cause I really didn't have the extra time to devote to practicing everything from each class.

hmm the professional thing. I'm actually currently talking with professional dancers I know regarding this issue. I have 2 years of straight dancing, a few workshops, and I'm a member of a troupe under my belt but I'm not sure even now that I am ready to go to the professional level. I would recommend have a long and detailed chat with professional dancers in your area of style. They provided me with so much information about requirements, things that need to be done, rates, times, etc.

Last edited:

Afrit

Go for it. If the teachers have a very different style you may need to switch heads, but if they are both good teachers it'll be to your benefit long term.

However, watch out for over committing yourself - such as signing up for rehearsals for two different shows.

If one of the teachers discourages you in principal from doing another class - reconsider doing classes with her. (In principal as in "you are my student", rather than "be careful, I believe X teaches dangerous technique" or "educated teachers would disagree with what Y says about Z")

lizaj

It's not necessarily about learning new moves. After all some famous dancers use about half a dozen but they do them devastatingly well.
It's about appreciating how a a different teacher may bring the same moves to you and her/his take on the dance. You want to make moves your own not become a clone of one teacher. Another teacher may be more knowledgeable about the history/background of the dance. S/he may have other resources for you to tap into.
S/he may of course combine the moves differently, have a different emphasis to some that makes them seem very different.
It's often sad to hear a student say,on emerging from a workshop.."That was useless I didn't learn a new move!" That might not be what the intructor has to offer. I remember a workshop with Asmahan where she spent a lot of time trying to get us to move and walk like an Egyptian woman..no new moves just learning to be beledi women ..not necessarily successfully in most cases;) but a vital component of performance.

da Sage

last fall I took 5 classes each week with the same instructor...yes it was nuts but I had the cash, the time, and the drive to take that many classes. However I probably would not do it again cause I really didn't have the extra time to devote to practicing everything from each class.

hmm the professional thing. I'm actually currently talking with professional dancers I know regarding this issue. I have 2 years of straight dancing, a few workshops, and I'm a member of a troupe under my belt but I'm not sure even now that I am ready to go to the professional level. I would recommend have a long and detailed chat with professional dancers in your area of style. They provided me with so much information about requirements, things that need to be done, rates, times, etc.

The original poster said she wanted to get to "performance level". She didn't mention going pro at all. We don't know if she wants to get paid, or if she simply wants to become a dancer who is worthy of her stage time. :)

Taking classes more than once a week, or with more than one teacher, is a very effective strategy to improve quickly. :)

jenc

I takeclasses from two different teachers of egyptian dance- one is "Orientale or Raqs Sharqi", very technical. This class pushes me very much but it is not my preferred style. the other one is more baladi and is teaching us about interpretation, and other essentials that are not related to learning choreographies, but which are vital.

Incidentally, both have been dacing for 14 years, and both sometimes share with us that there are moves that they are still working on.

justonemorebill

Believe it will be beneficial on a number of levels, just normally a matter of finding time and money.

Each instructor will generally teach what works well for them. This will give an opportunity to try different moves.

Each instructor has different eyes. They may catch something that the first one did not see.

Think over the course of the last year I have had at least five instructors do to my shifting schedules.

Not to sound too Zen, but the best way to learn to perform is to perform. At the beginning, think a few simple moves done well should be all you need to get started. (Of course, practice-practice-practice helps. :) )

Always thought be cool to do low pressure drum/dance meetings once a month or so just to build up that confidence.

Have Fun :)

jenc

On Monday one teacher said my hips were lovely in Egyptian walk but I was too bouncy. On Tuesday techer 2 said I could bounce my hips more.

Actually both wre right because on Tuesday I was concentrating on advice from Teacher one, but it shows that different teachers will look at things from different angles, and you need a rounded view of your dancing

Machiavellia

On Monday one teacher said my hips were lovely in Egyptian walk but I was too bouncy. On Tuesday techer 2 said I could bounce my hips more.

Actually both wre right because on Tuesday I was concentrating on advice from Teacher one, but it shows that different teachers will look at things from different angles, and you need a rounded view of your dancing
This is totally true, but it really shows how positive it is to take classes with different teachers. If you only studied with one, you'd end up only having one perspective on your dancing to take into account. This way, you have lots of views to consider, and you can decide what works best for you.

I just finished a major workshop where we all critiqued each other's work. The critique I received was often completely contradictory from person to person (e.g. one person says my movements are too strong, another says they're too soft). It was cool to be able to take it all in and then make a decision and act on it.

I think taking classes with more than one teacher is a very good way to enhance your learning and pick up new ideas a little quicker. As for getting to performance level-- take it as it comes. Perform at student events like haflas and parties first and see where it goes from there :)

Tracey

yes

I actively encourage my students to attend other classes, as indeed I benefit by the fact that if they find my way their way they will gravitate to me more.
The only snag as a teacher is when you are faced with " well ,,,, says it is this way " etc , here we enter the grey lands of teaching bellydance.
Every one it is different everyone has their way of getting things across, some work better for some people than others.

For me the deal is to aknowledge the differences and not slip into my way or the highway route.

Valeria

I agree with the others when they say that it is good to learn from different teachers. It is better to attend 2 classes a week, rather then alternating, plus attend workshops. Learning from different teachers will broaden your horizons and help you choose what you like the best. It will also help you create your own style, as you will take input from various sources and then adapt it to suit your personality.

Kharis

I was wondering what people thought about taking more than one bellydance class at the same time. Like for example, going to two different studios with two different teachers during the week, alternating between the two. I've been dancing for years on and off, and just earlier this year in Feb. started taking classes on a regular basis. I guess you could say I'm intermediate level. The reason is that I want to get more out of it, so that I can get to performance level. Any thoughts would be helpful.
thanks!

I always advocate more than one class. I do try to encourage my students to go to other teachers, and lots of them do. I feel it's important to take from each teacher what most suits you, as an individual, rather than becoming a carbon copy of the teacher. This though, is sometimes unavoidable, and sometimes you see a dancer and you just know who their teacher is. Loyalty to a teacher is both touching and perturbing. I feel very flattered that my students choose to stick with me, but also feel that they need to have more input from other teachers' styles. I would hate to think I danced exactly like my teacher. But then I never got that deeply ensconced when I was a student...but spread my wings very early on and did my best to develop outside of a class situation.