What are the different dress styles, and what's the difference? oO;;

Farasha Hanem

Good info on that site Liz, thank's. I favorited it.

I've got so many sites in my favorites, and I added all the links in this thread. oO I reeeeeeally need to organize my favorites... XD

Thank you all again! :D

I have a dress I dearly love---it's my favorite. I bought it at Wal-Mart quite a few years ago, and I take care of it because I don't want anything to happen to it. It's from Kathy Lee's old line (Wal-Mart no longer carries it). The outer shell is 100% nylon, and the lining is 100% polyester, and is very clingy (shows my curves XD ) I adore it, and bought it long before I started taking bellydance classes, and have often wondered if it could work somehow as a dance dress. It's beautiful as it is, and I think copper or gold-colored glass beads sewn along the paisley designs on the dress would make it stunning, but I'm so afraid they would be too heavy for the material. I'd be broken-hearted if it ever snagged or ripped. :( When I get the chance, I'll take a pic of myself in it, and post it here for you all to see, so you can give me your honest opinion of whether or not it would work for performances, and what I might be able to do with it (as far as decorating/accessorizing) without ruining it. Or, if I should just leave it as a favorite everyday dress.

lizaj

I've got so many sites in my favorites, and I added all the links in this thread. oO I reeeeeeally need to organize my favorites... XD

Thank you all again! :D

I have a dress I dearly love---it's my favorite. I bought it at Wal-Mart quite a few years ago, and I take care of it because I don't want anything to happen to it. It's from Kathy Lee's old line (Wal-Mart no longer carries it). The outer shell is 100% nylon, and the lining is 100% polyester, and is very clingy (shows my curves XD ) I adore it, and bought it long before I started taking bellydance classes, and have often wondered if it could work somehow as a dance dress. It's beautiful as it is, and I think copper or gold-colored glass beads sewn along the paisley designs on the dress would make it stunning, but I'm so afraid they would be too heavy for the material. I'd be broken-hearted if it ever snagged or ripped. :( When I get the chance, I'll take a pic of myself in it, and post it here for you all to see, so you can give me your honest opinion of whether or not it would work for performances, and what I might be able to do with it (as far as decorating/accessorizing) without ruining it. Or, if I should just leave it as a favorite everyday dress.

Evening prom wear dosn't always work dance. Your dance dress needs alotta stretch and cling (unless a folky loose job) but ability to move with ease at the same time. A dance friend used a beautiful Monsoon sale eveneing dress and sparkly thought it was , it didn't work for dance. Heavy isn't a problem usually BUT if you still wear the dress a lot and you spoil you will as you say be devastated. HOWEVR if you rarely wear the dress why not make use of it this way.

Ranya

I also saw the dress Liza posted being described as a hagallah dress in various costume catalogues... however in Egyptian shops it would be called saidi more probably.
I think it is a generic folkloric dress, since it is not the MOST saidi thing you can find and does not necessarily ressemble anything in particular. The motive is a copy of a traiditionnal necklace style in Egypt (it is usually not sewn onto the garment but worn as jewellery... however very little so nowadays) - it think it is a costume adaption.
As for nubian, here is a pic of me in a nubian dress and a pic of me in a "generic" folkloric dance dress, while working in Egypt.

LunaXJJ

I personally prefer the 2 piece bra and skirt style. It accentuates the tummy area which I like. I love how belly dance really flatters your body, so showing a little skin makes it more enjoyable for me. Not to mention I also want to learn belly dancing so I can preform nice dances for my Jason. I love to show a little extra for him of course. ;) I never wish to preform in front of others, otherwise, I'd prefer something that covered up more.

Pirika Repun

I'm not sure how many people can access to Dr. Magda Sale's documentary film "Egypt Dances" in 1979. I saw this video at Lincoln Center Library of performing arts. I hope you guys also can see at library or somewhere.
I can't find at internet...

Here is description: Documentary film representing a first major attempt to collect the traditional folk dances of Egypt. Presents 17 communal, ritual, and entertainment-oriented folk dances from rural, urban, and desert areas recorded 1975-1977.

CONTENTS Vicinity of Mersa Marruh: Haggala (clapping dance of Western Desert Arabs); Shettaywa dance -- Siwa Oasis: Bormeyya (dances of Zaggaleen Palmgrove laborers) -- Port Said: Bumboateyya -- Suez: Henna el suweisi (wedding dance) -- Alexandria: Sohba -- Cairo: Sham'edan (chandelier dance); Lesson in "Baladi" (belly dance) -- Luxor: Welad Mazen Ghawazi dance -- Cairo: Almah -- Cairo: Zar (exorcism ritual) -- Cairo: Dhikr (ecstatic dance ritual of the Sufi rifai sect); "Dababees" skewers (ritual thaumaturgical exercise) -- Giza: Dancing horse -- Sohar Governorate, Maragha district: Gohena; Wahda wa nûs; Arabi; Tahtib (stick dance) -- Aswan, Baharif village: Kaf (clapping dance) -- Aswan, Tushka village: Dances of the Fadigga Nubians -- Qena, Nag el Sudaneyya: Rongo -- Aswan: Hosseb (martial dance of the nomad Ababda tribe).

lizaj

I personally prefer the 2 piece bra and skirt style. It accentuates the tummy area which I like. I love how belly dance really flatters your body, so showing a little skin makes it more enjoyable for me. Not to mention I also want to learn belly dancing so I can preform nice dances for my Jason. I love to show a little extra for him of course. ;) I never wish to preform in front of others, otherwise, I'd prefer something that covered up more.

It isn't aways appropriate though,Luna. In some circumstances a dancer will want to wear a dress especially for folkloric based numbers and for those of us less fortunate than yourself regarding bodyshape or age , we prefer a dress. Thankfully there are lots of glamorous dresses that suit everyone and I know young slim dancers who love them too.
As long as your Jason is happy, you carry on, girl showing that flesh.;)

LunaXJJ

It isn't aways appropriate though,Luna. In some circumstances a dancer will want to wear a dress especially for folkloric based numbers and for those of us less fortunate than yourself regarding bodyshape or age , we prefer a dress. Thankfully there are lots of glamorous dresses that suit everyone and I know young slim dancers who love them too.
As long as your Jason is happy, you carry on, girl showing that flesh.;)
Trust me, I've got tummy I'm not too fond of, and a little more weight on my thighs than I need, which is why if I did dance in public, I'd be wearing a dress with plenty of coverage. Since it's just me and Jay, I don't need to feel as self conscious.

lizaj

Trust me, I've got tummy I'm not too fond of, and a little more weight on my thighs than I need, which is why if I did dance in public, I'd be wearing a dress with plenty of coverage. Since it's just me and Jay, I don't need to feel as self conscious.

Way to go..be comfortable with yourself.
I watched a beautiful dancer on the DVD of the festival I mentioned on another thread and she had a little tum over her belt...guess what it looked fine abd did not detract from her gorgeousness one little bit. We are all too hng up on a wash board stomach these days. I very much admire Victoria Beckham for her style but it would be a poor world if we were all as slender as her...Long Live Variety

Rassi

I'm a long time fan of Lizaj....always so helpful and informative:clap:

I LOVE your costuming in the large picture, Lizaj. My student troupe is made up mostly of ladies of a certain age (including myself) and they all want to be more covered. Thank you for sharing.