What are the different dress styles, and what's the difference? oO;;

Farasha Hanem

I'm wanting to get a lovely dance dress, but I see different "styles" in the online bellydance shops: Baladi, Bedouin Galabyia, Falaha, Ghawazi, Saedi, etc. Baladi and Saedi I recognize as different styles of bellydance, but I'm wondering what the main differences are in the way these dresses are made, and which dresses are appropriate for what styles of dance? :think: Is there an "all-purpose" dress that would work for different dance styles (baladi, khaleegy, saedi, etc.)? I'm quite confused. :confused:

lizaj

These dresses are theatrical and I suspect that the named styles are based on what Reda troupes trotted out with ....yes? correct me Folks. Saidi, vilaage girl,Alexandrian dresses. Stage wear based on local costumes. If you were trying to do a stage show with theatrical representaion of the folkloric dresses, then you have to be specific. Kaleeghy, Moroccan are other examples that would need some kind of research
If you, yourself are looking for a single dress for performance, I don't think you can go far wrong with the Hannan gelebeyas that are everywhere. We've used then for a stick dance, they are worn by group dancers everywhere. Yes theye have "folkloric" sleeves but they are so sparkly I have seen lots of pro. dancers use them for performance.

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s158/lizajuk/bedazmus.jpg[/IMG]

Lots of traders seem to have them. I got one from Farida here in the UK but Dahlal stock them in the UK and I am sure others will.

The troupe I belong to in the gelabeyas. Me in black at back!

Last edited:

lizaj

Sorry it's so big a photo. I'll try to get smaller and no it wouldn't do for Khaleegy. Those khaleegy dresses are not usually expensive but they are very specific for the moves.

I 'm sure Shira won't mind me using her!

lizaj

I've actually heard once this was a haggala dress, not a saidi dress.
It might be wrong, but do anyone else agree to this?

It's described on site as such but you might well be right.
I've seen saidi perfomed in one but that's no proof and I bought one from Mamoud's wth the adesign and he called it just a folkloric dress.

Farasha Hanem

Thank you! *hugs!!*

Thank you so much, lizaj! You put a lot of effort into giving examples of different dress styles, and yes, I'm wanting to eventually buy/make a dress myself (eventually being the operative word; i need to learn more in my dance development). I want to make sure I get a proper dress for whatever style dance I may perform in the future.

Our troupe does have one or two cane dances that I haven't learned yet, but I don't want to perform such a dance in a two-piece bedlah, as I understand that's not proper. And of course, I want to learn how to dance balady if I ever get the opportunity, so I'll want the right dress for that, too. In the meantime, I'll see what I can find in the way of instructional DVD's (another subject...).

Thank you again for being so helpful, lizaj; I adore you! :D

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I've actually heard once this was a haggala dress, not a saidi dress.
It might be wrong, but do anyone else agree to this?

Khaleegy thobe is like the pic of what Shira is wearing. What I know as saiidi dress is like the black & gold dress posted by Liz. I have never heard those called Hagalla dresses, but then I am no expert. Even in Egypt at the different shops they use different terms for things. I have heard the saiidi dress called a galabeya many times, just a stage blingy style galabeya.

I have 3 of the saiidi style dresses:D, Purple, black & darkish red all with silver design, because I love silver. I also have a purple & white galabeya like the first photo,a khaleegy thobe like the pic of Shira's except it is purple, 2 dresses for non-folkloric, what I call 'traditional Egyptian or I suppose what many would call cabaret style. See the pics below (I am not wearing them though these are the pics that were online).

I personally prefer dresses to 2 piece or belt & bra styles, although I do have one of each of those.
~Mosaic

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
I've seen dresses called hagalla with a beaded belt that looks a it like the one in question so I am unsure too.

Some quick research:
Here is Sahra Saeeda in a dress resembling that one, at least the long fringe belt.
SAYED EL JOKER - with Sahra Saeeda

and here on Shira.net is some photos of Leyla Lanty wearing a green and a red hagalla dress. It also says that those are the nightclub versions of the hagalla dress with lots of white fabric as a gathered overskirt: Bellydance Plus! Leyla Lanty's Photo Gallery, Part 1, Egyptian Folk-Style Costumes

This is what I think of as Hagalla dress (with the white gathered skirt):

So to sum up it seems as a Hagalla dress needs some layers for the skirt either in white cotton or whatever it is or see through sparkly fabric with a long fringe belt.
Or?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Oops sorry I didn't mean hagalla but khaleegy, have no idea why I wrote hagalla, my apologies Hagalla style is a shortish dress/skirt I believe. Maybe the reda style is just a stage style, I am not sure of the real traditional style.
So sorry to confuse everyone. That will teach me to read my posts before posting!
~Mosaic

Last edited: