I Feel Out of Place.

LunaXJJ

Honestly, I feel so lost here. I learned from youtube videos, and a TV series called "Shimmy." I don't know anything about the different styles, or good BD music. I just belly dance in private for fun, and exercise. All I know is the posture, and the moves that I've been taught online, and on TV. Please don't flame me for not being professional, or not having an actual teacher. I'm here to learn some new things, and discuss the art of belly dance with everyone here. I hope that I'll be accepted on some level by everyone here, despite being an amateur. We'll see what happens I guess.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Hi Luna, welcome to the forum. Everyone starts off as an amateur and quite a few start off using DVDs, youtube etc. Later if they can find a class many will join a class.

No one will flame you, this is not what this forum is about.

You can ask questions, post in threads and be quite welcome.
Also search the forum for answers to any questions as well. If you are interested in knowing what DVDs or CDs are great for beginners you will find answers in those previous threads.
Hope you enjoy being part of the forum.
~Mosaic

Prusilusken

Hi Luna, and welcome!
I am sure there'll be room enough for us BDF n00bs too, even if we're not pros...there's obviously a lot of knowledge and thought provoking stuff to pick up in this forum - and we're all welcome to it, no matter our level, I am sure. :)

Happy dancing+posting!

Aniseteph

Welcome Luna!

I'm an amateur too, and have learned loads here. I think that realising how much you don't know is a really good place to start.

Happy posting :dance:

Jujube

Everyone starts out knowing nothing. Just read, look, watch, practice.....and you'll learn tons very quickly. It's all about how much you put into it.

Amulya

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask as many questions as you want :) This is the place to be!

Maria_Aya

Welcome Luna !!!
You are in the right place to learn more on the history, origins, and everything on bellydance:)

Maria Aya, Greece :)

Ariadne

I tried to learn from videos and such the first time because I couldn't find a teacher. I wish that I had had a forum like this then, if I had I may have stuck with it better. Stick around, an interesting in learning is the most important part.

prince ali baba

Shimmy TV

Honestly, I feel so lost here. I learned from youtube videos, and a TV series called "Shimmy." I don't know anything about the different styles, or good BD music. I just belly dance in private for fun, and exercise. All I know is the posture, and the moves that I've been taught online, and on TV. Please don't flame me for not being professional, or not having an actual teacher. I'm here to learn some new things, and discuss the art of belly dance with everyone here. I hope that I'll be accepted on some level by everyone here, despite being an amateur. We'll see what happens I guess.
Hi Luna. I too have practiced by watching Shimmy on FitTV. Shimmy seems to be a tough way to learn since they only made a handful of episodes and it's a new set of moves in each show. Youtube might be a better way to practice although I haven't tried youtube myself. I'm just saying from my experience watching Shimmy it's been a more difficult way to learn. Then again I seem to pick up a little of moves each time I watch that show,so no one will flame you. When this website still had a chatroom, I had met a few people who just learned from watching belly dance lessons on home video.

Farasha Hanem

Welcome!

Hi, and welcome to the forum, Luna. :) We're glad you're not nervous anymore; we welcome all who are eager to learn. :) I, too, started out with instructional tapes/DVD's and used them for 7 years because at the time, we didn't have a teacher in our area. I joined a class at my first opportunity, and it is fun to learn with others, make friends, and get more personal instruction from a teacher who is there to observe his/her students. Until such an opportunity comes your way, search the threads on instructional DVD's here, and visit here often. It's very informative---and very addictive! :lol: :D

Oh! Here we go... :D

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/instructors-students/5928-instructional-dvds.html

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/ins...-what-instructional-dvds-videos-you-have.html

Hope that helps! :D

Last edited:

Sita

Sounds like you are in the perfect place to me. This is a place of learning but also of fun :D :dance:. It's about what interests you in the dance or general bellydance culture. We also have a number of threads on DVD instructional which should be useful for you :)

Happy posting
Sita

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Welcome aboard! The best part of a forum like this is there's always someone who will know the answer to just about any question you can think of about Belly Dance.

Dive in!

Samira_dncr

Jump on in. It's a great resource and a wonderful place to learn. Sometimes I can even get daunted at the knowledge that is out there and I've been dancing 18 years. ROFL. Seriously, kick back, grab a hot beverage, and enjoy the ride.

Amethyst Krystal

HIIIIII luna! i joined recently too don't worry there are other amateurs here,
including me, and i know where your coming from cuz i haven't had a real teacher yet either. don't sweat it you'll learn alot being here.:lol::);)

Corylus

I just belly dance in private for fun, and exercise. All I know is the posture, and the moves that I've been taught online, and on TV. Please don't flame me for not being professional, or not having an actual teacher.

Welcome Luna,

there's nothing wrong with dancing for fun and exercise! Please don't feel that people will flame you for that because I am sure no one will. I think few of us are professionals so we can't judge you for not being one! Also, there's nothing wrong with not having a teacher, whatever works for you and how you like to learn is great.

I'm here to learn some new things, and discuss the art of belly dance with everyone here. I hope that I'll be accepted on some level by everyone here, despite being an amateur

We are all here to learn and discuss belly dance, not to be mean to each other so I am sure you will be gladly accepted by everyone. I am an amateur too and I have certainly never felt any hostility on the boards.

So, welcome! Enjoy the board :)

Last edited: