Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Good to hear. Otherwise how on earth can exercise to western music be connected to belly dance in any way (the actual "movements" are not unique to belly dance - it is the interpretation that makes it so)
    I totally agree with you! For my belly dance classes (not cardio bellydance), I only use Middle Eastern Music. Sorry if my thread started this big discussion, it was not my intention.

For those of you who gave me some recommendations, thank you so much! This is very appreciated, and if you have more suggestions related to Middle Eastern Music feel free to post a message!

I am looking for music that has a lot of beat into it (to keep the cardio up!) and allow repetitive movements like hip bounce, shimmies, accents...

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps check out "turbo tabla"?
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    Good idea.
    Also a lot of shaabi is nice and snappy.
    The Mezdeke series of CDs have upbeat stuff on them also.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as it's in a mix of actual middle eastern music, the Paul Simon song Crazy Love II (on Graceland) might be really fun. It shifts back and forth from 6/8 to 4/4.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Isi View Post
    If you have more suggestions related to Middle Eastern Music feel free to post a message!

I am looking for music that has a lot of beat into it (to keep the cardio up!) and allow repetitive movements like hip bounce, shimmies, accents...
    In my "Belly Dance for Exercise" class, I use folk-style dancing for the cardio section. So, for example, I use "Dyati Mali" and "Tfarrak al Halawa" Saidi music and lead my students in doing bouncy Saidi steps to it. I also bring canes for those who have been coming to the class a while to use along with the dance steps. Several students have told me they think my use of canes makes the class more fun, and at the same time they're learning a bit more about Middle Eastern dance.

I've also been known to use Lebanese debke music, such as "Haddouni, Haddouni" and "A Nada". George Abdo has both of those on his CD's, but lots of other people have recorded these songs as well. For these, I use debke steps, some of which are quite aerobic.

And, one more variant that I sometimes use is Turkish 9/8 music. Turkish folk dance to this music is also quite aerobic and bouncy.

Post Thanks / Like

Electric Oasis (there are two volumes) would probably be good for something like that. Techno remixes of Belly dance music...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    I really like this! Very good did not know about it before today! Thanks.

And I also like Electric Oasis, Thank you Salome!

This forum is very enriching! I already have some of Mezdeke but I will certainly research a bit more to find out which album I am missing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12