The Greatest Contradiction: Beledi is X, but still Y

PracticalDancer

Inspired by this thread and many others . . .

I am not sure if this belongs here or in games; moderator, please feel free to move this thread appropriately.

But, as a student who has struggled with this (and who has watched others struggle), I thought it might be fun and informative to tee up a conversation about the amazing contradictions within this form of dance.

So . . .

Beledi is relaxed, but still controlled.

adiemus

Beledi is easy enough that everyone can do it and have fun, but difficult enough that only the very best dancers can perform it well.

gisela

Super Moderator
Baladi is old but still IN!
(Man, I lost the word I was going to write so have to go with the less refined "IN" :lol:)

Aniseteph

Baladi is soft yet strong.

(anyone thinking of Andrex puppies right now STOP IT I'm trying to be serious here :naghty:)

Actually some times it is very very long as well... oh bother... sorry... :rolleyes:

Nath

(anyone thinking of Andrex puppies right now STOP IT I'm trying to be serious here :naghty:)

Actually some times it is very very long as well... oh bother... sorry... :rolleyes:

LunaXJJ

Anyone have a link to a good video of Beladi dance? I'm not too familiar with the styles, so I'm a bit lost.

PracticalDancer

Anyone have a link to a good video of Beladi dance? I'm not too familiar with the styles, so I'm a bit lost.

Hello, dear, and welcome. (offers a warm southern pat on the hand) Let me take you down a road called Beledi. We will start with our own Maria Aya in the kitchen:
YouTube - Authentic Kitchen Baladi - Maria Aya - Greece

Then, we will walk over to the thread that started this one: YouTube - Bellydancer Ranya Renee of NYC: Raks Beledi "Tahtil Shibbak

There are so many others if you do a search on "beledi" -- good ones and ones that could have broken the camera. ;) But, these two should give you a start. Please come back with questions!

Regards,

Anala

Sofia

This brings a book to my mind: Baladi women of Cairo "playing with an Egg an a Stone" by Evelyn A. Early.