Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    It is also the first thing I teach. The ringing reminder cry in my class is, "I see duck butts!"
    That's an interesting description. Duck butts. I have a problem with the postural anomaly of The Queen Anne Chair... a stance I perpetually try to correct with certain students.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep was taught it from day 1. Not the term posturing though, I would associate that with posing.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post

Technique is just the How To Do It bit, so how can you teach a hip drop without teaching the technique of how to do a hip drop (and the posture)?

Beginners want to learn belly dance, but they don't want to learn how to belly dance?
    I have a lady in my class who used to do ballroom, who seemed quite surprised that after two lessons she hadn't quite 'got it'... 'it's more difficult than you'd think isn't it?'

Post Thanks / Like

Day one of class, and it gets harped on through out if people let it go......*Guilty as charged*

Post Thanks / Like

Yup; both my (long term) BD teachers teach posture - one of them I find more or less obsessed with it sometimes and I was "brought up" in BD from the very beginning to mind my posture.

I really appreciate it, since I was - and am, in part due to a medical condition called Morbus Scheuermann (spelling ) - pretty vulnerable when it comes to that very important part of dancing, and along with some hypermobility in certain joints this condition could have easily made BD into more or less a physical menace to me.

Instead, BD has pretty much "saved" me.
    I used to have borderline pains and aches in sooo many joints, especially my knees, all the way back to childhood but as soon as I started dancing a few times a week it got all better, so I know what a difference it can make not "just" regarding to the aesthetic side of dancing but to a body in particular.

Long story short: Yes - when I used to teach, I was very "annoyingly" into teaching about posture, and when (hopefully) I go back to teaching sometime, I will definately continue that train of thought.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't teach, and have never been taught, but I have to say, I find it impressive just how few instructional websites and DVD's (both beginner and proffessional alike) forgo the posturing advice. I've even seen certain moves described and taught on some sites, such as the Turkish drop, with no safety warnings or information at all, as well as ideas for workouts "for beginners" with no advice or recommendations or even mentions about stretching, warm-ups or cool-downs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by His_Einna View Post
    ...I've even seen certain moves described and taught on some sites, such as the Turkish drop, with no safety warnings or information at all...

I'd be wary of a DVD/site that was trying to teach this even WITH all the safety info and warnings. If I was learning extreme stuff I'd want a teacher there to correct me (and call the paramedics when I put my back out).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12