Song IDs.

Daimona

Even since my first attempt of shimmying, I've been looking for more information of unknown songs bought on mixed tapes/CDs from my old teachers.

I really hope somebody here can help.

I'll start with excerpts of some old songs. These are probably mid-1990ies or older. My first teacher got them on a cassette from Aida Nour when she visited Cairo in mid- and late 90ies, but doesn't know more about the songs herself:
1 - originally app. 5:30 minute. Ya Laylet Magany El Ghaly - By Mohammed Roshdy
2 - originally app. 4:50 long. Ew'a Tkoon Bet-heb Ya Alby - By Moharram Fouad
3 - originally app. 3:40 long. I think this one is called "Batta", but I don't know the artist.

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
I have the first one on a cd I got from Aida nour only a few years ago. On there it's called Saedy 1 (and after that comes saedy 2, oriental 1 and 2 etc) How's that for great help?:lol:

Daimona

I have the first one on a cd I got from Aida nour only a few years ago. On there it's called Saedy 1 (and after that comes saedy 2, oriental 1 and 2 etc) How's that for great help?:lol:

:lol: Not very much, I'm afraid.. Hopefully, your version has a better sound quality than mine... ;)

Daimona

"Shimmaboulous" & "Djamila"

No luck so far.. but I've got more...

Does anybody know on which album I can find the drum solo "Shimmaboulous" (spelling?)? I know it's suppose to be "track 1 on volume 2", but I can't get the artist or album from when I recorded this at the workshop.

I'm also looking for name of artist and album with the song "Jemilleh".

Anybody?

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
is this the same song? It says this one is by Pangia

I know I have seen this song discussed on Bhuz
here is a quote by Shira (sorry for copying a post from another forum)
I have no idea whether it's available for download, but John Bilezikjian's version, which to my knowledge is the original, is on his CD the "Magic of John Bilezikjian". It's part of the opening medley titled Julia's Dream. He plays it on the oud, and his voice is like velvet.
link to thread

Last edited:

Daimona

Yes! Thank you very much, Gisela! Jemilleh is the one! :dance:
It might be Bilezikjian's version as the description of "velvety voice" sounds familiar.

gisela

Super Moderator
Daimona, Did you see Shira has a clip of the song on her site? I listened to it. Sounds lovely. Somewhere under music >armenian.
There is also a translation!

Last edited:

Yshka

The Spice of life cd cover itself doesn't say it, but the one I got at CD Baby recently had a sticker on the back saying Jemilleh was originally written by John Bilezikjian. I'll dig up the cd from my dance bag later to check!

Safran

The Spice of life cd cover itself doesn't say it, but the one I got at CD Baby recently had a sticker on the back saying Jemilleh was originally written by John Bilezikjian. I'll dig up the cd from my dance bag later to check!

My Spice of Life CD says Jemilleh is by John Bilezikijan

(ps! I LOVE that song!)

Daimona

Nobody knows anything about these?

I'll start with excerpts of some old songs. These are probably mid-1990ies or older. My first teacher got them on a cassette from Aida Nour when she visited Cairo in mid- and late 90ies, but doesn't know more about the songs herself:
1 - Ya Laylet Magany El Ghaly - By Mohammed Roshdy Thank you MizzNaaa!
2- Ew'a Tkoon Bet-heb Ya Alby - By Moharram Fouad Thank you MizzNaaa!
3 - originally app. 3:40 long. I think this one is called "Batta", but I don't know the artist.
#3 is " Taailili ya batta " with Mahmoud Shokoko Thank you Yshka and MizzNaa!
Does anybody know on which album I can find the drum solo "Shimmaboulous" (spelling?)? I know it's suppose to be "track 1 on volume 2", but I can't get the artist or album from when I recorded this at the workshop.
I managed to solve this one myself: It is Issam Houshan’s “Simmabulous”/“Shimmabulous” from the album “ The Dancing Drum Vol. II :D
I'm also looking for name of artist and album with the song "Jemilleh".
To summarize your contributions: “Jemilleh” by John Bilezikjian could be found either on the album “Magic of John Bilezikjian” as the opening medley titled “Julia’s Dream” or on Joseph Pusey’s album “Spice of Life”. :dance:
Again: Thank you very much! :pray:

After seeing one video of Soraya posted by Caroline on another thread, I remembered another song I don’t know the ID of:
#6 This might be "Ya salaam", but do you know the any artists that may have recorded it? It is at least 10 years old.
ETA: My version is probably the one by Ahmed Adaweya. Thank you mafadalo!

7 - originally app. 5:50 long. Alemny El Hawa - By Zekra Thank you MizzNaaa!
8 - originally app. 3:40 long. Sorry for the lousy sound quality. Nezlet lel Bahr - By Kazem Al Saher Thank you MizzNaaa!
9 - "Hamada" by Gawaher, the song is in her "Telephonak" album. Thank you Yshka!
10 - "Ammouna Fi Alsaid" from the album "Belly dance with Amany and Bassem Yazbek". Thank you Anala!
11 - originally app.3:30 long. I’ve learnt to know this one as “zextra”, it might be from a movie soundtrack, but I’ve never found the movie or another title for the song.

I’m sorry for pushing all these songs at once, but I’ve finally got around systematizing the songs where I’m missing their ID (and have already managed to sort out quite a few of them myself). I really appreciate any help as I’ve been looking for years for most of them.

Last edited:

PracticalDancer

10 - originally app.3:40 long.
I’m sorry for pushing all these songs at once, but I’ve finally got around systematizing the songs where I’m missing their ID (and have already managed to sort out quite a few of them myself). I really appreciate any help as I’ve been looking for years for most of them.

The time stamps helped! That was the only way I could find #9 -- I knew I had it, but the time was what I needed to sort through the haystack! :) I BELIEVE that it is called "Ammouna" by Bassem Yazbek from the album "Belly dance with Bassem Yazbek" (May also be spelled "Yezbek" and may appear under "Noura and Yassem".) Now, I say "believe" because I -- ahem-- received a copy of dubious origin and it was not exactly clear on titles. However, after a few years of owning it, I reverse engineered the name.

So, I am open to corrections if needed!

Sorry, but I don't recognize the others at all. (Which makes me happy in that it reminds me that there is a wealth of undiscovered songs out there!)

regards,

Anala

Daimona

The time stamps helped! That was the only way I could find #9 -- I knew I had it, but the time was what I needed to sort through the haystack! :) I BELIEVE that it is called "Ammouna" by Bassem Yazbek from the album "Belly dance with Bassem Yazbek" (May also be spelled "Yezbek" and may appear under "Noura and Yassem".) Now, I say "believe" because I -- ahem-- received a copy of dubious origin and it was not exactly clear on titles. However, after a few years of owning it, I reverse engineered the name.

So, I am open to corrections if needed!

Sorry, but I don't recognize the others at all. (Which makes me happy in that it reminds me that there is a wealth of undiscovered songs out there!)

Thank you very, very much for your effort Anala! *big hugs*
Everything helps, and now you have helped me tick off one more. :D

#10 is "Ammouna Fi Alsaid" from the album "Belly dance with Amany and Bassem Yazbek". :dance:

Last edited:

Yshka

Dear Daimona, went to check right away :D. I missed the last posts in this thread I think!

Number 9 is "Hamada" by Gawaher, the song is in her "Telephonak" album.
Number 11 reminds me of old "AmCab" music by Artie Barsamian's orchestra. I am not certain though. The other ones puzzle me still, but I'll see what I come up with.

Hope this helps!

Daimona

Dear Daimona, went to check right away :D. I missed the last posts in this thread I think!

Number 9 is "Hamada" by Gawaher, the song is in her "Telephonak" album.
Number 11 reminds me of old "AmCab" music by Artie Barsamian's orchestra. I am not certain though. The other ones puzzle me still, but I'll see what I come up with.

Hope this helps!

It does! Everything helps!
Thank you very much!

Daimona