Song IDs.

MizzNaaa

LOL guys, you should've just asked me. I know all these songs except that last one no.11 :D

Anyway, I'd like to make a little correction.

The version of Ta'lili ya Batta you linked is not actually made by 'kotomoto'. Kotomoto is a character in a movie called Akher Shakawa by a comedy troupe made of 3 very famous Egyptian comedians called The Lights of the Theatre Trio 'ثلاثي أضواء المسرح' . After one of the member of the troupe died, the other two split. Samir Ghanem one of the trio and the only one who's still alive till today turned Kotomoto into a tv character from a series for children. Just a miniature cartoony version of himself singing and dancing and stuff.

Here's the link to the scene where they sing Kotomoto. He's the shortest of the 3, the other guy is dressed as Kotomoto's mother and Samir Ghanem is the one with glasses. http://youtu.be/W1k2tWgOJiY

Also this is another one of their famous performances. It's part of a movie called 30 days in prison. Freaking amazing :p
http://youtu.be/IahwhIE8-9o

As for Ta'lili ya Batta, I'm not quite sure who came up with it. I think it's just Egyptian Folk, I'll double check with dad when he wakes up. However, the version linked is actually originally Mahmoud Shokoko's. He was also a very famous Egyptian Actor. He never took the lead roles, but his singing monologues were the most memorable thing about any movie he was part of.

Here's a link of him performing Ta'lili ya Batta on national tv :

he passed not long after those performances. Such an amazing artist, it was a true loss to Egyptian cinema when he passed away.

As for the version in that link (Again) it was part of a belly-dance tape mix thing made by an ambiguous group. As you noticed it was just sung by a group in a studio. That thing back in the 90's was common. A small time recording company would make a mix tape of old songs redistributed by and sung by an unknown chorus so girls would buy it and dance to it.

Last edited:

MizzNaaa

I wonder if you ladies know the meanings of those songs. For me, I suppose part of it is that I'm a native Arabic speaker, the biggest enjoyment coming from these songs are the lyrics not just the music while dancing. They're very heavy on cultural references about things like flirting and love and marriage and beautiful women, back then and how those things were done. It's quite nice.

Daimona

I wonder if you ladies know the meanings of those songs. For me, I suppose part of it is that I'm a native Arabic speaker, the biggest enjoyment coming from these songs are the lyrics not just the music while dancing. They're very heavy on cultural references about things like flirting and love and marriage and beautiful women, back then and how those things were done. It's quite nice.

Sometimes we do know the overall theme, but I certainly miss several of the references and cultural meanings..

I've got a new puzzle:
Anyone know the name of this song and/or artist (and perhaps know where I could get the music?)
[video=youtube;WUHhI-Hz0Sk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUHhI-Hz0Sk[/video]