Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Help who went to London's Fantasia?

I have just bought the double DVD of London's Fantasia Festival ealier this month. The filming is very good for a live theatre show and the DVD is chaptered but the labels are of the performance with no dancers accredited. I'm writing a review for our mag,and I only recognise a few of the dancers so if you were there, can you help me identifiy the performers and what they did?

Post Thanks / Like

I was there, and I may still have a programme knocking around, but I expect if you e-mailed them they could send you one. Let me know if not and if I still have it I'll post it to you. One thing to watch out for though, a couple of listed performers didn't actually perform, but you would probably be able to identify the missing ones because I think the music was also listed in the programme.

I'd be interested to know what you make of one particular performance near to the end, which I personally found quite disturbing and so did other people near to me in the audience (I haven't had a chance to watch my DVD yet, but I presume it was included). I'm not convinced it had any business being in a belly dance show. If it's on the DVD, you will know what one I am talking about! Or maybe I'm just too old fashioned!!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear, does the UK have it's own answer to the infamous Kaya&Sadie number?

I did wonder how Cancan workshops fitted in to an Arabic Dance Festival, so it wasn't cancanbellydance fusion was it? (I can't see how that's possible, but hey... ).

Post Thanks / Like

There was a can-can number, but that was good fun. Also a burlesque-ish number - not so sure about that's place in a bellydance show, but in reasonably good taste, so no further comment. No, this was another kettle of fish entirely. Anybody who saw the show should know the performance I mean.

Post Thanks / Like

LizaJ make sure you put this perf in the review! I want to know now!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tezirah View Post
    I was there, and I may still have a programme knocking around, but I expect if you e-mailed them they could send you one. Let me know if not and if I still have it I'll post it to you. One thing to watch out for though, a couple of listed performers didn't actually perform, but you would probably be able to identify the missing ones because I think the music was also listed in the programme.

I'd be interested to know what you make of one particular performance near to the end, which I personally found quite disturbing and so did other people near to me in the audience (I haven't had a chance to watch my DVD yet, but I presume it was included). I'm not convinced it had any business being in a belly dance show. If it's on the DVD, you will know what one I am talking about! Or maybe I'm just too old fashioned!!

I have and I think we concur on being old-fashioned .
    I shall say no more and fix on some lovely Orientale and tight ATS?!

Post Thanks / Like

say more, say more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tezirah View Post
    There was a can-can number, but that was good fun. Also a burlesque-ish number - not so sure about that's place in a bellydance show, but in reasonably good taste, so no further comment. No, this was another kettle of fish entirely. Anybody who saw the show should know the performance I mean.

Good fun? yes, possibly but....

No wonder we continuously have threads about the confused public, being pieces of meat, not being paid properly and generrally being misunderstood.

We really cant moan about these things without looking much closer to home as to why it continues to happen.

If you want can can and burlesque then flamin go to can can and burlesque classes! dont you say...

I had a burlesque routine in a theatre piece I did 10 years ago. The performance examined how the West drew on Orientalist themes in the last 100 years... I had no idea 10 years later it would become part of the scene for real...maybe it was a premonition

Where has my crystal ball gone.. let me see what we have to look forward to in another 10 years time...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post

I had a burlesque routine in a theatre piece I did 10 years ago. The performance examined how the West drew on Orientalist themes in the last 100 years... I had no idea 10 years later it would become part of the scene for real...maybe it was a premonition
    So it was you who started it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karena View Post
    So it was you who started it
    Next time I shall issue a warning..'dont try this at home or teach it in a belly dance class!'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast