Stolen Identity...?!

Ahimsa

Forgive me if there is a direct contact button, but I cannot see it:confused:...

When I click on my name anywhere on the site, for example after i've posted a thread my name has a link to 'my' profile, however when I click I end up on someone called ^^Sahara^^ instead of me, -Sahara-...

I think this may be why I cannot upload an avator or profile pic... any ideas??

-Sahara-

Shanazel

I'll notify the other moderators in case they have a better idea of how to deal with this than I do.

gisela

Super Moderator
Hi Sahara,
Sorry for your trouble. I am pretty sure it is a technical glitch and not someone deliberately stealing your profile. The signs in usernames sometimes mess things up, though I have never seen THIS exact thing happen before. We will notify the ones who can investigate and hopefully solve the problem.
Hope you will be patient with us :)

BTW, when you are logged in, do you see a "welcome, Sahara" near the top right on your screen? If you click on your name it should take you to your profile. Does it still direct you to the wrong place?
And if you click on "user cp", where does it take you?

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I clicked on your name and it did take me to the other Sahara's profile. Strange it should happen as her name is all upper case along with double inverted Vs (^). It isn't stolen ID just that 2 people have chosen the same user name with slight differences which allowed the name to be registered twice but the system is probably not seeing the differences. As Gisela said she will get the administrators to sort it out. I am sure Salome will be able to do something or suggest a remedy.
~Mosaic

Ahimsa

Thanks guys for your help.

I didn't mean that someone had stolen my identity... just thought it was a catchy title! Maybe I stole hers?! ;)

When I go to CP the left hand columns take me to my profile, but the other Sahara seems to be the default one so overrides my ability to change pics etc.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Sorry Sahara, I haven't heard anything, maybe PM Salome, in case she hasn't seen this thread.

Gisela have you had any feedback?
~Mosaic

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
It sounds like someting to do with the coding of the website itself and might not be an easy thing to fix. It is possible that the coding aka programming does not make any difference for a - vs / vs ^ or any other marking.

Ahimsa

Oh, good point! Is there anyway that I can change my name but still have the same account? Or do I need to rejoin (but I can't do this with my same email...)

I will send the pm though, thanx :)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
It is an admin thing unfortunately, so we can't do anything. Go ahead and send the PM. Sometimes Salome is away, and that is why it can take a bit longer than expected to get admin stuff sorted out. I believe Salome can change user names. Maybe take out the - signs & add numbers or add an addition to the Sahara eg: SaharaDancer. Just send Salome the altered user name you want when you PM her.
~Mosaic

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
Hi, no sorry I haven't heard anything, though I did send a pm notifying Salome about the problem and directing her to this thread. She is a very busy lady though. I am sure she is on it as soon as she has the possibility.

Salome

Administrator
Hi,

the system apparently doesn't like that it's the same name, even with the symbol differences. She joined first so it must recognize her... I can change your username, so you don't have to re-register. Let me know what username and that'll solve the issue.

Salome

Administrator
Ok you are all set with that username, that's what you'll need to login from here on out :)

Ahimsa

Thank you for everyone who helped! I am now known as Ahimsa (meaning non hurting in Sanskrit) ... so another official Hi from me!!